IGNORED

Xbox One X

Bojangle

On 12/06/2017 at 14:41, Moz said:

I foresee lots of "dynamic resolution" and checkerboarding and different modes and so on.

They've announced on the Xboxox site that it has a 2160p (4K) signal and uses dynamic resolution and checkerboarding. 

Yep, all the native 4K talk is just more bullshit. Expect a stupefying amount of articles about how every game runs at 1080p vs 4K and various different modes, as per the PS4 Pro. 

Meanwhile here's a video of Destiny running at 4K/60fps

23 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Yes it does mean that but we have to shit on this box as much as possible.

All it really means is that for a couple of years, till the release of the PS4Pro+, Xbox nerds will be "it's all about the resolution and the effects" while PS4 nerds are "it's all about the gameplay, and the great single player stories you only get from Naughty Dog" to which Xbox nerds will respond "have you heard of these things called movies?" to which PS4 nerds will respond "I don't watch films, I'm too busy killing zombies" to which Xbox nerds will respond "I wish we had a game with zombies in it"...

and then then everything will switch round, except Xbox nerds will substitute "an exclusive driving game" in place of single player stories, because even they can't defend the shitshow which makes up the so-called narrative of the extended Halo universe.

42 minutes ago, footle said:

All it really means is that for a couple of years, till the release of the PS4Pro+, Xbox nerds will be "it's all about the resolution and the effects" while PS4 nerds are "it's all about the gameplay, and the great single player stories you only get from Naughty Dog"

Haha, nailed it. All those folk who insisted the worse versions of games on Bone didn't matter will purchase-justify their Xbone Pro with digital foundry articles about how one game dips to 24fps and the other only dips to 26.

Then a PC git will stick his head above the parapet and says "looks nice at 4K/144fps m8s" and get screeched at for besmirching the gameplay. The cycle continues. Tis a beautiful thing.

2 minutes ago, Moz said:

Haha, nailed it. All those folk who insisted the worse versions of games on Bone didn't matter will purchase-justify their Xbone Pro with digital foundry articles about how one game dips to 24fps and the other only dips to 26.

Then a PC git will stick his head above the parapet and says "looks nice at 4K/144fps m8s" and get screeched at for besmirching the gameplay. The cycle continues. Tis a beautiful thing.

Everyone gets a turn to sit on the performance horse.   :D

11 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Everyone gets a turn to sit on the performance horse.   :D

The important thing is that Playstation owners can't play Ori and Xbox/PC owners can't play Last of Us 2. Imagine a world were you could just play the games you wanted on the thing you bought to play games on. It would be chaos!

Anyway, Phil Spencer seems a good guy. Turns out that a spot of failure to undo your hubris is just the ticket once in a while. it worked for Sony going into the PS4 and it's working for Microsoft now.

Digital Foundry taking a look at a couple of X games (AC: Origins and Forza 7)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-xbox-one-looks-stunning-but-we-need-to-see-more

Assassin's Creed Origins? We got an extended gameplay demo running on Xbox One X hardware, again promising 4K ultra HD and high dynamic range rendering support - though Ubisoft has since confirmed the utilisation of both checkerboarding and dynamic resolution. It certainly looks like an established current-gen engine scaled up to 4K with select embellishments, and traditionally, the Assassin's Creed titles have run at a native 900p. Can Xbox One X really deliver a compelling 2160p presentation? Well, we're lucky enough to have had access to an uncompressed 4K feed from the media riser at the event, and initial analysis suggests that - yes - the gameplay footage here passes muster on ultra HD screens, and it looks great. Look to Watch Dogs 2 on PC for how good 2160p checkerboarding can look, and you'll see the same level of accomplishment here on Xbox One X. As for the dynamic scaling? In the demo footage we're poring over, everything we've tested seems to resolves to full 2160p based on pixel-counts. This is seriously impressive stuff.

Looks like I was right, not all X games are going to be 4K, but it doesn't seem to matter. I seem to recall lots of people saying checkerboarding was a load of rubbish.

I've also mentioned that the main difference between For Honor on PS4 Pro (upscaled 1440p) and PC (at 4K) was in game assets rather than sheer resolution. That seems to have been borne out by the ARK dev who mentioned they can use higher quality assets on the X due to more RAM, etc.

I'll be very interested to see what solution Ubi go for on PS4 Pro and how they compare.

1 hour ago, Moz said:

The important thing is that Playstation owners can't play Ori and Xbox/PC owners can't play Last of Us 2. Imagine a world were you could just play the games you wanted on the thing you bought to play games on. It would be chaos!

Imagine on top of that, everyone agreeing that anyone can like whatever consoles and games they want without fear of being repeatedly insulted for it. One day eh? ;)

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Looks like I was right, not all X games are going to be 4K, but it doesn't seem to matter. I seem to recall lots of people saying checkerboarding was a load of rubbish.

Given Microsoft included hardware support for checkerboarding in the X it seems they've understood that real 4K rendering wasn't always going to be an option. Very sensible too, don't think folk appreciate how demanding a full 4K render is and checkerboarding is by far the best technique to massively reduce your raw render size but still produce a very high quality image. 

I'm obviously not very clued up on this but how is something like Forza 7 managing true 4K at 60fps with plenty of overhead then?

Is it to do with it being a confined game or something?

I'm not really arsed about all these tech specs, but I thought the X was a magnitude more powerful than the Pro. What's the point if it really isn't?

Just now, Charliemouse said:

A PC with a 1080TI can struggle with native 4K for some games, a console with basically a slower but with slighter more VRAM RX580 will too, no matter how well the games are optimised.

Means nothing to me, sorry!

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

I'm obviously not very clued up on this but how is something like Forza 7 managing true 4K at 60fps with plenty of overhead then?

I'm not really arsed about all these tech specs, but I thought the X was a magnitude more powerful than the Pro. What's the point if it really isn't?

FM has always been relatively sparse to ensure the 60fps. It's all the more evident if you hop back and forth FM6 and FH3.

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

Means nothing to me, sorry!

It requires a lot of processing, graphical and memory power to run things consistently at 4k, and even more so to do 4k at 60fps, so consoles will struggle to do it for a while and still remain cost effective/attractive, because the kind of components needed to achieve it are bloody expensive. 

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

Probably. Like the driving game is drawing a really pretty tunnel, and other games need to do more. (which is not an implied criticism of Forza, its developers, or any Bone variant.) Also the developers are first party, are well-funded and well connected to the console.

I think, if some of the devs are working on checkerboard solutions rather than filling every last 4K pixel, then it's likely a good thing for what people see, anyway. They save a heap of resource on something you don't really see, and get to use that on stable framerate, visual effects and textures and the like.

However much power there is in the Bone X, it's still a finite pool. Best to use it on the stuff you'd see than the stuff you might not. All the PS Pro Digital Foundry articles have consistently said that checkerboarding was really good in practice.

I never get the point of the PC comparisons as you're never comparing like for like. PC games aren't heavily optimised or catered towards a single set of specs. It sounds like the new system is going to be incredibly efficient and also eliminates the bottlenecks in modern software engines.

I guess we'll find out when the first round of multi format releases happen.

2 hours ago, Varsity said:

Imagine on top of that, everyone agreeing that anyone can like whatever consoles and games they want without fear of being repeatedly insulted for it. One day eh? ;)

Yeah, unless you're an Xbox One owner.

12 minutes ago, Moz said:

Yeah, unless you're an Xbox One owner.

Oh give over, everyone is at it.

edit - I assume Moz means Xbox owners being insulted, rather than doing the insulting. Console threads are so tedious.

Moz confirmed for PS4 bias.

You do realise that posting it's the opposite crowd makes you look more guilty?

Just as my opening sentence does.

I thought it was a great E3 for everyone involved. Absolutely loads of amazing games shown across all systems. Brilliant.

17 hours ago, Moz said:

They've announced on the Xboxox site that it has a 2160p (4K) signal and uses dynamic resolution and checkerboarding. 

Yep, all the native 4K talk is just more bullshit. Expect a stupefying amount of articles about how every game runs at 1080p vs 4K and various different modes, as per the PS4 Pro. 

Meanwhile here's a video of Destiny running at 4K/60fps

Shame the Xbox One X will only do 30fps. Could've tempted be back to Destiny.

Jim Ryan of Sony:

“What happened was that developers, maybe at the behest of publishers, developed up to the lowest common denominator and stopped there. And in very few cases took advantage of the additional horsepower of the PS3.

“Now, I’m a big believer of learning lessons from history. History doesn’t always repeat itself. But if you’re a publisher of video games, that is a perfectly commercially rational approach for you to take,” he said. “Because you only do one set of work. You don’t do one set of work to get up to one level and then a different amount of work and consequently may need to go further.”

Which is a fair comment, but has the XB1 been the lowest common denominator, generally, for multi platform? And isn't the point that it can 'easily' use PC assets, which I assume are the benchmark.