IGNORED

Xbox One X

Bojangle

I dunno, the build quality of the Xbox One seems really solid (apart from the buzzing power supply), but the software seems a bit flakey. Mine seems to need a hard reset fairly frequently. There's not much in it between the PS4 and the Xbox from my perspective, although now that I've posted this, my PS4 will obviously conk out as soon as I get home.

3 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Given the architecture, I don't think it's likely PS5 won't be backwards compatible with PS4.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing how they do it, just from a technical perspective. Microsoft have decades of abstracting the hardware layer, as witness the X getting rid of that 32meg eSRAM and, of course, 360 virtualization. But for the Pro, it's the same GPU with a second copy of it on the same die, right? And presumably an upclocked CPU. My hunch is that isn't going to scale.

On 13 June 2017 at 10:06, jonamok said:

PS5/Xbox Two please. Not interested in this mid-gen update bollocks.

This is my main BEEF with both the PS4 pro and Xbox One X.

apart from extending the brand lifespan,  the hardware seems way ahead of what the game makers are capable of within a " current " generation mini-upgrade.  If they did release a completely new console with a new OS and new everything in the current climate, games developers wouldnt know what to do at all - They are too busy catching up with this mid-gen stuff coming out.

So yes, We do need a complete hard reset, ground zero launch of something eventually with a complete re-education for programmers. can't see when though. Wouldn't even be able to put a year on it.

16 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

apart from extending the brand lifespan,  the hardware seems way ahead of what the game makers are capable of within a " current " generation upgrade.  If they did release a completely new console with a new OS and new everything, current games developers wouldnt know what to do. They are too busy catching up with this mid-gen stuff.

We need a complete hard reset, ground zero launch of something with a complete re-education for programmers. can't see when though. Wouldn't even be able to put a year on it.

Problem is these days big games take years to develop (and timescales are getting longer) so they cannot release "new" consoles very quickly at all... it has to be an iteration of what is already out which is why I guess the mid-gen updates make sense to them - they can update the shiny graphics easily (as these scale far easier) and get a quick win with the consumers and keep the dev studios / publishers happy (don't have to spend as much time/money retraining and re-engineering things). Think this is probably why we are seeing MS taking a "platform" approach too.

13 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

apart from extending the brand lifespan,  the hardware seems way ahead of what the game makers are capable of within a " current " generation upgrade. 

All these people who don't play games on PC.

13 hours ago, footle said:

BOTW shows that it's perfectly possible to create a great gaming experience with a shit CPU, so it's a strange example to bring up immediately following a post bemoaning games being hamstrung by needing to run on a console with a much better CPU than the Switch.

Then again the graphics card I bought last year is still more expensive new than an Xbox One X, so...

It's not strange at all! What I'm saying is - BOTW, despite running on relatively underpowered hardware, actually feels (and is in many respects) far more "next gen" than most PS4/Xbox One games. In other words, if a game like that can be made on Switch, then developers clearly haven't even used the base PS4 and Xbox to anywhere near their full potential so far, so there's absolutely zero reason for upgraded versions to exist, outside of Sony/Microsoft just wanting to extract even more money from people's pockets. After all, why just sell one console per gen when you can sell 2.....or 3........or fuck it.......4!!! YEEEESSSSSS!!! 

I'm not really a techy person anyway. I'm more about the gameplay itself. Personally, I'd sooner see Sony/Microsoft invest money in making or signing up genuinely awesome new games, sooner than spunking cash on these half way house systems. Fact is, that's what really drives console sales - the games. And £450 could buy 9-10 full price top notch new titles. 

13 hours ago, Stanley said:

Why get so upset over something that won't affect you? @Fully Aspel 

All the games will continue to run as normal on a base Xbox One or an S. 

And that 1/5 ratio is only likely to grow as more people buy 4K TV's, which is sat at around 20% right now and expected to grow to 40% this year, 60% next year. 

By the time the next gen consoles launch it'll be 4K across the board.

You're right.......at the moment it doesn't really affect me. However, I'm not naive and I can see what's going on here, and can see how all this might possibly have an impact further down the line. If people buy into this whole system it'll become the norm, and things will only get worse from there.

Someone mentioned iphones. Don't really know anything about them, but if you have to upgrade them pretty often then, it's because people were daft enough to accept that model of business, which allowed Apple to get away with it and encouraged them to take the piss with it even more.

There's a lot of stuff I still don't even get about the Pro and One X. I keep seeing people talk about benefits like better frame rates, bigger draw distances etc. It's not something I'm personally £450 worth of interested in, and I strongly suspect most people will be even less interested than me. In fact I don't think most people would even be able to afford shelling out £450 for one of these things. 

But how the fuck would improved framerates and shit even work, especially factoring in online play? Are we talking about possibly having people racing in 60fps against others in 30fps? Hahaha. Some people having slowdown in the middle of a match, whilst others have things run flawlessly? JaJaJaJa. :) Have they actually even thought all this shit through properly or what? Or, as I suspect, is this just all hype and the reality of the One X will be.......well, it does pretty much the same as the Pro does now.

8 hours ago, clippa said:

Why? If you don't mind me asking.

Grew up playing in the arcades. Then moved on to consoles with the Master System. Had an Amiga back in the day but, outside of that I've always been a console gamer through and through. Plus i use a PC and MAC fairly often for audio recording and tbh that's quite enough for me! :)

1 minute ago, Fully Aspel said:

But how the fuck would improved framerates and shit even work, especially factoring in online play? Are we talking about possibly having people racing in 60fps against others in 30fps? Hahaha. Some people having slowdown in the middle of a match, whilst others have things run flawlessly? JaJaJaJa. :)

I suppose it would work exactly as it does now for PC players.

"It's not personally something I'm £450 interested in"

sure. I'm not interested in buying an overpriced Apple Mac in order to do some audio production, or buying a mini NES to play games that weren't that good in the first place, but that doesn't mean that people who sell them are necessarily stupid. Hell, it doesn't even mean that people who buy them are stupid.

I'm certainly not going to bother wasting my time by writing multiple paragraph posts over multiple pages saying that they're a curse on everyone and everything. Even though Macs clearly are...

7 hours ago, MattyP said:

Problem is these days big games take years to develop (and timescales are getting longer) so they cannot release "new" consoles very quickly at all... it has to be an iteration of what is already out which is why I guess the mid-gen updates make sense to them - they can update the shiny graphics easily (as these scale far easier) and get a quick win with the consumers and keep the dev studios / publishers happy (don't have to spend as much time/money retraining and re-engineering things). Think this is probably why we are seeing MS taking a "platform" approach too.

Bingo! People were saying XB1 and PS4 were crap with "shit laptop processors" but it's clear it took a couple of years for the devs to get up to speed with them and squeeze what they had. People really want a day zero reset and again go through endless "remasters" as studios look to earn a quick buck to fund the big projects all over again? That's how the industry becomes nothing but EA and Activision.

Wait, was there any mention on VR on Xbox X?  Disappointing that Xbox owners are left hanging in this area.  Forza 7 would be amazing in VR as they mention there is still more headroom in terms of power on xboxx.

Just now, ashmatuk said:

The one x is ready for the mass market, doesn't mean it will be adopted by the mass market but that's not the expectation.

VR with all its wires, isolation and lack of games is not ready for the mass market. 

PSVR shows there is a market for VR.  Enthusiasts like us would lap up things like Elite & Forza 7 in VR which I assure you are not experiences as you put it.   I'm sure there is not a mass market for the Xbox X itself, the £150 elite pad or expensive steering wheels but the is a market for them.  What have you played in VR?

18 minutes ago, ashmatuk said:

The one x is ready for the mass market, doesn't mean it will be adopted by the mass market but that's not the expectation.

VR with all its wires, isolation and lack of games is not ready for the mass market. 

That's a lot of words to say not very much.

I'm not that bothered really - it was never something that would be a deal breaker for an One X, but selfishly I think it's a real shame that they aren't going into the VR space as the more outlets there are, the more attractive it becomes for developers (particularly smaller indie developers that have to make some difficult decisions when it comes to potential customers).

For those Xbox/Switch only owners, I think you are missing out on being part of one of the most innovative areas of gaming.

11 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

That's a lot of words to say not very much.

I'm not that bothered really - it was never something that would be a deal breaker for an One X, but selfishly I think it's a real shame that they aren't going into the VR space as the more outlets there are, the more attractive it becomes for developers (particularly smaller indie developers that have to make some difficult decisions when it comes to potential customers).

For those Xbox/Switch only owners, I think you are missing out on being part of one of the most innovative areas of gaming.

They haven't said they aren't, just that's it's not ready yet. 

19 minutes ago, simms said:

PSVR shows there is a market for VR.  Enthusiasts like us would lap up things like Elite & Forza 7 in VR which I assure you are not experiences as you put it.   I'm sure there is not a mass market for the Xbox X itself, the £150 elite pad or expensive steering wheels but the is a market for them.  What have you played in VR?

I agree VR is a great experience but it's lacking software. Look at E3, what's coming? Final fantasy fishing and some warping Doom mini game. 

Developers are not bringing full games to it as there isn't the market. Fallout being the exception. 

14 minutes ago, simms said:

Why not both? One feature should not exclude the other.

Indeed. I'm not against the idea of backwards compatibility, I'd just rather it was supplemented by a decent library of exclusives and stuff such as VR support.

29 minutes ago, ashmatuk said:

So what? It's there ready to buy. Why not support it? It's just another feature Sony offer that MS don't no matter what Phil instructs you.

I would like xbox to have a VR headset when it's ready.

Another feature that Sony offer that ms don't. What are these other features? Non cross network play for the safety of our children. No backwards compatability as no one plays it. No ea access. Thanks Sony! 

I'm no console warrior. It's easy to see that VR isn't resonating.