IGNORED

Xbox One X

Bojangle

On 16/06/2017 at 10:29, CarloOos said:

I don't think there will be a 'next-gen', for Microsoft at least. Sony might well launch a console called the Playstation 5 at some point, but I think Microsoft will just keep iterating and eventually drop universal support for the base consoles when the next model launches in four or so years. It's what all their platform integration over the last two years has been pointing towards, and why I think buying digitally off Live feels future-proof in a way PSN does not.

This is will only happen if support for the current ecosystem is widely adopted by consumers. Microsoft are great for rolling out plans and explaining how they'll work but the assumption is always that it will only actually happen if the first iteration is successful. If the xBoxOnex sells well they'll continue to try to abolish console generations, but if this doesn't go well they'll abandon that plan in a second exactly like they did with Media Centre and a lot of their other big innovations over the years. This plan is only the plan if stage one works, and I don't think writing off there ever being another "next gen" Xbox is a safe bet yet.

On 16/06/2017 at 13:52, PC Master Race said:

I doubt you will find many people who would subjectively say the PS4 was of a superior level of build quality to the Bone. 

Outside of the Microsoft crazies who insist it's built of paper and glue and the Sony crazies who insist their one is whisper quiet there seems to have been a consensus that both of them are pretty well built this gen. the original Bone was quieter than the original PS4 because it's the size of a tower block foundation, both the XboneS and the PS4 slim seem to be better built, more reliable and quieter. The idea that either of them has a substantial build quality benefits over the other for anyone outside of the digital foundry crowd and each side's individual cheerleaders seems like a bit of an exaggeration.

On 17/06/2017 at 08:59, ashmatuk said:

I would like xbox to have a VR headset when it's ready.

Another feature that Sony offer that ms don't. What are these other features? Non cross network play for the safety of our children. No backwards compatability as no one plays it. No ea access. Thanks Sony! 

I'm no console warrior. It's easy to see that VR isn't resonating. 

Yeah, you don't sound like a console warrior at all...

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

It's almost as if there isn't this consumer out there that just wants a powerful console that can do 4K without the baggage that comes with PC gaming.  I don't want to tinker with my games.to squeeze a few more frames out of them.  I don't want to download the latest nVidia drivers released specifically for the big pc game that just got released. I don't want to have to look around for why I might have some driver conflict causing a game to stutter. I don't want to be staring at an online game and wondering where all the players are (been a few comment on here about some games being dead online within months). Obvious some people like that tinkering and knowing they have the latest drivers tuned to the latest release and be able to buy games cheaper.   But that's not me.  And seeing how big the console space is, there's plenty like that.   We want a decent amount of power. We don't want everything else that comes with PC gaming.  I am happy to pay £450 for essentially a fixed spec PC that beats any other similar priced PC out there right now and avoid all that.  

I appreciate the 'no faf wanted' consumer.  A PC upgrade or a PC from scratch is a viable option if you want an XboxX with more options. Tinkering is overstated and downloading Nvidia drivers as negative? Really scraping the barrel of reasons.

3 hours ago, simms said:

I appreciate the 'no faf wanted' consumer.  A PC upgrade or a PC from scratch is a viable option if you want an XboxX with more options. Tinkering is overstated and downloading Nvidia drivers as negative? Really scraping the barrel of reasons.

I've spent long enough in various PC threads on here to know that the driver issue and various niggles with different hardware is a problem.  For some it's just part of the joy of owning a PC and to have the the freedom to do what you want with it and that's fair enough.  I don't want that though. Neither does a significant proportion of the gamer market.  

Remember how excited we all were when Valve announced the Steam machine initiative?  Finally a fixed spec for PC's for people who just didn't want the faff. A set of targets that publishers could aim at.  High end PC gamers would still have their custom builds. Everyone would have been happy.  But they fucked it.  That was their chance right there to build a console like PC with all the benefits of a PC plus the fixed hardware spec levels that we now have on consoles.  Instead it's come from the other end of the spectrum from the console manufacturers.  

37 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Only this doesn't have all the functionality or benefits that a PC does. You can't have it both ways. 

I'm really going to miss excel  :)

It's a games machine. A fixed spec gaming PC that does 4K gaming for £450.  What's not to love man. :)

12 minutes ago, Uxorious said:

Do we know how easy it will be to transfer content from xbone to xbone x? Will it work like ps4 to ps4 pro?

All your saves are in the cloud.

All your games generally have to be re-downloaded unless you installed them to an external HDD in which case you just plug the HDD into the Xbox One X and off you go. 

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

All your saves are in the cloud.

All your games generally have to be re-downloaded unless you installed them to an external HDD in which case you just plug the HDD into the Xbox One X and off you go. 

What about my settings?

7 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I'm really going to miss excel  :)

It's a games machine. A fixed spec gaming PC that does 4K gaming for £450.  What's not to love man. :)

IF I had a 4k, HDR TV

and IF I didn't already own an xbox one (that I rarely play, even)

and IF I was in the market for an xbox

and IF I had the spare cash to justify the extra expense

Then yeah, I'd totally get one of these, despite having a gaming PC far more powerful that the One X is. However, sadly none of those things are true for me right now.

I see the One X as the console equivalent of the Elite controller: a luxury, not a necessity.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I see the One X as the console equivalent of the Elite controller.

Which is more or less what Phil Spencer has described it as.  Some people will be happy to pay the premium to buy the console that plays the first party games they love and the third party games with the most shinies. Some will be happy with the base consoles. 

5 hours ago, simms said:

By the time XboxX releases in November I believe you will be able to put together a comparable PC for the same cost with better functionality I.e. running your favourite last and current gen games at 60fps*, fully modular, VR compatible, all Xbox exclusives going forwards. If you have a irrational hate of PC's then irgnore me :P

*if your willing to lower graphic settings and play at 1080p

So not comparable at all, then?

The whole point of this thing is 4K gaming.

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

IF I had a 4k, HDR TV

and IF I didn't already own an xbox one (that I rarely play, even)

and IF I was in the market for an xbox

Then yeah, I'd totally get one of these, despite having a gaming PC far more powerful that the One X is. However, sadly none of those things are true for me right now.

I see the One X as the console equivalent of the Elite controller: a luxury, not a necessity.

I'd buy the new 2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS....

IF I had a garage to house it

and IF I didn't already own a Mazda MX5 (that I rarely drive, even)

and IF I was in the market for a new car

Then yeah, I'd totally get one of these. However, sadly only three of those things are true for me right now.

I see the Porche 911 GT2 RS as the car equivalent of the Elite controller: a fine piece of design and engineering that I think is just a luxury but secretly i lust to own.

Edited. Cheers Mr Bizzle

17 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

So not comparable at all, then?

The whole point of this thing is 4K gaming.

Totally comparable.  4K at 30fps or 1080p at 60fps.  The beauty is the choice.

17 minutes ago, simms said:

Totally comparable.  4K at 30fps or 1080p at 60fps.  The beauty is the choice.

Not even slightly.

The RX 470 and RX 480 (or even 1060) are all "1080" cards and barely manage 15-20fps at 4K for most games.

Stop talking utter nonsense.

17 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Not even slightly.

The RX 470 and RX 480 (or even 1060) are all "1080" cards and barely manage 15-20fps at 4K for most games.

A 1080 equivalent card cannot run at 4K 30fps with settings turned down to medium/high? Okay....

24 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Not even slightly.

That's bullshit, I have seen plenty of benchmarks where the RX 580 can do 30fps or better at 4k on high or ultra settings on a lot of games.

Of course these benchmarks were done on a PC with a decent CPU, unlike the piece of shit in all current gen consoles.

4 minutes ago, simms said:

There's still time for PC hardware prices to fall by November to build an equivalent Xbox X.  Let's revisit this exciting subject in November.  Lol

good luck with the uhd bluray drive.