IGNORED

Xbox One X

Bojangle

It's a shame he didn't actually ask the tech guys about 60fps, as the first guy claimed they could have done it. I'd like to have heard why they didn't give it as an option.

It's probably the first game I'm a bit disappointed with that has been enhanced. But I'm still using a 1080p TV and it looked gorgeous to begin with.

Nice one. It's a superb machine, I love it. So neat and quiet. I took it into Richer Sounds at the weekend to try out some TVs and it was a bonus how small it was, and the lack of a power brick. I plugged an external hard drive in, and annoyingly it makes way more noise that the X! I'll shuffle my games around so "stuff I'll probably never play again" is on the external HDD.

I'm really interested in getting one - perhaps for in april for my bday pressie, but not sure how much of a visual and speed upgrade it will make displaying on my 1080p screen? Wish there were more 1080p videos on YT of games running on the X. I especially love playing Elite: Dangerous and Witcher3...

39 minutes ago, nevsan said:

I'm really interested in getting one - perhaps for in april for my bday pressie, but not sure how much of a visual and speed upgrade it will make displaying on my 1080p screen? Wish there were more 1080p videos on YT of games running on the X. I especially love playing Elite: Dangerous and Witcher3...

Just find ones with 4K in the title and force youtube into 1080p in the quality settings

6 hours ago, nevsan said:

Have you ever experienced downsampling on PC? Xbox enhanced games look fucking sharp and smooth downsampled to your 1080p screen. Add to that the improved textures, which are always a noticeable improvement on any screen, and for me it's a big difference visually, worth every penny. Also check out 360 enhanced games like Halo 3 and Mirror's Edge - they almost look like extensive HD remakes. Mirror's Edge is especially noteworthy since it suddenly looks far better than the current-gen sequel! (All imho of course)

1 hour ago, Skull Commander said:

Oh man :( That's a major pain in the ass.

If it's any consolation; download speeds are much much better on XBX nowadays than they ever were on 360. So *if* you have a decent connection you'll download all those games again in no time at all. They're just around 6GB or so, which is considered tiny nowadays. And it's totally worth it, even for 360 games that aren't enhanced. The performance improvements are pretty drastic sometimes.

On 1/17/2018 at 22:24, Skull Commander said:

Just bit the bullet and bought an Xbox One X on that ace Tesco deal. 

I just picked up a One X with four 'free' games in their bundle.

I then just returned the games for a £165 refund which made the Xbox £284 8-)

2 minutes ago, hat said:

I just picked up a One X with four 'free' games in their bundle.

I then just returned the games for a £165 refund which made the Xbox £284 8-)

Woah. You did that at the store? I guess they can't 'take' the difference for the console can they?

33 minutes ago, DC said:

Woah. You did that at the store? I guess they can't 'take' the difference for the console can they?

I just went in the next day. I guessed the worst that could happen was that they'd refuse and I'd trade them in elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, hat said:

I just went in the next day. I guessed the worst that could happen was that they'd refuse and I'd trade them in elsewhere.

Just with the despatch email and return slip? I guess I'd have to be lucky and have someone not clock that it was a bundle when looking at the order details on their system.

Asking here, as I’m hoping I’ll get a helpful response. 

The rubber grips on my Xbox elite controller have warped and all but fallen off. 

All that remains are a few stuck fast bits of rubber near the paddles. 

I’ve tried pulling it off but it’s stuck down like a bastard!

What would be the best way to remove these last few bits without wrecking the rest of the controller. 

Ta. 

29 minutes ago, bad_hair_day said:

There really isn’t much of a step up from the S to be honest. Wee bit sharper and for nearly half a grand it bloody well should be. 

That's definitely true for some but keep in mind that it's a personal thing. Some people can't see tearing, while others wonder how one cannot see the picture literally being split apart. Some are sensitive to low framerates or drops, while others feel EDF2017 on Xbox 360 is silky smooth. 

For me the X is a massive step up, but then again - I notice tearing, I care about framerate and seeing a previously fuzzy, low-res game on the Xbox One OG/S looking sharp and smooth (never mind the detailed textures when available) on the Xbox X, makes me real happy and warm inside. Even on a 1080p screen I'm blown away, but seeing it all on an expensive 4k HDR screen at a friend's place was something else entirely.

I think by now most people know whether they care about this stuff or not. You decide whether that's worth it to you. It's a bit like upgrading to a higher-end PC but at a fraction of the cost and without the associated hassle which puts some off.  As an added bonus the X is small and compact, and completely silent. That's a big plus compared the massive OG One and the sometimes DC-like PS4 (depending on the game and the console)

I'm now fully upgraded from my 1080p PS4 and XB1 setup to Xbox One X and a 4K HDR TV to go with it, and the difference is really a lot more than I expected. I thought it might be a case of the emperor's new clothes as I'm not particularly a resolution whore or anything, but when you put the whole package together, it really does make a difference. It helps that the kind of games I'm into - expansive open world stuff that usually come with lovely real-time lighting cycles, huge draw distances and demanding engines - benefit from the extra horsepower, HDR and added sharpness.

That graph always gets wheeled out about how you can't see the extra pixels on 4K at normal viewing distances, but there's a clear improvement! I mean, it's nothing like the switch from SD to HD but it's instantly noticeable in games that take full advantage of the new consoles' capabilities.

I recorded a clip in Ghost Recon Wildlands then watched it back in SDR / 1080p and it looked really quite poor in comparison. To be fair though I think when you calibrate a game for HDR then it fucks up how it looks in SDR.

1 hour ago, bignige said:

The rubber grips on my Xbox elite controller have warped and all but fallen off. 

What would be the best way to remove these last few bits without wrecking the rest of the controller. 

Ta. 

If they're glued on I suppose you could try gently heating it with a hairdryer but don't blame me if it all goes wrong.

8 hours ago, bignige said:

Ta. 

The rubber is glued to an underlying plastic shell that you can lever off with a plastic spudger (see repair vids on youtube). The plastic shells are secured to the frame of the controller with double-sided tape, presumably to stop them creaking so it needs a bit of force. You can buy replacement shells with the rubber grips attached from ebay and just snap them on.

9 hours ago, bignige said:

Ta. 

Amazon did me a replacement when that happened to mine. It was over a year old too.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

The rubber is glued to an underlying plastic shell that you can lever off with a plastic spudger (see repair vids on youtube). The plastic shells are secured to the frame of the controller with double-sided tape, presumably to stop them creaking so it needs a bit of force. You can buy replacement shells with the rubber grips attached from ebay and just snap them on.

It's the rubber grip underneath that's the problem. This is attached to the main unit.