The Radio Heads

chris on the moon

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
50 minutes ago, chris on the moon said:

I have not paid £20 to listen to "the smile" this evening.

Because of technical problems, it's now viewable for free:

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

Because of technical problems, it's now viewable for free:

I have not paid £20 to listen to "the smile" this evening, but I am listening to "the smile" now! So far, to me, It sounds like radiohead but more boring.

10 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I don’t agree. Jonny Greenwood hasn’t played this much guitar in over 2 decades. So great to see him properly on the instrument again.

Gun to you head that didn't sound like Radiohead just stripped back a bit? If you just heard the audio with no visuals you would think it was new unreleased Radiohead.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Gun to you head that didn't sound like Radiohead just stripped back a bit? If you just heard the audio with no visuals you would think it was new unreleased Radiohead.

It’s interesting… on first listen it didn’t sound like stripped back, unreleased Radiohead to me (although the opening track, Skirting on the Surface, is indeed an unreleased Radiohead song that was heard once or twice during the King of Limbs tour, though I haven’t heard it since 2012 so I don’t know how much this version differed… it would be good to check!), as the band would never have gone down such a consistent direction in terms of this kind of sound. To me it was more like the result of an unused fork in the road after The Bends or OK Computer, maybe, and what it perhaps reminded me most of in places was an extension of ‘Ful Stop’ from A Moon Shaped Pool if they had decided to go much further down that rabbit hole. Maybe it’s just that Thom Yorke’s voice and Jonny Greenwood’s guitar playing are so recognisable. I guess all these side projects can be traced back to Radiohead in some way, though - for me, Thom Yorke’s solo stuff leads all the way back to outlier tracks like Backdrifts on Hail To The Thief. His solo records are clearly not Radiohead, but have similarities when it comes to certain tracks from the band’s canon. It’s like these side projects push certain aspects of Radiohead’s work much further than the band would ever want to go, and allow different members to properly explore the spaces that they’re most interested in.

I was just really surprised that they were doing something so straightforward, tbh, not in terms of time signatures and melodic/harmonic complexity (boy oh boy, Greenwood was doing some ridiculous stuff at times!) but with the instrumentation choices, when for me Radiohead have got ever more elaborate on that front and this dialled things way back. When I read up on the drummer, I imagined they were going to be doing something jazzy and weird (particularly considering Greenwood’s side projects as well), but instead we got stuff that sounded to me like a mix of punk, math-rock and Krautrock. I don’t think all of it worked, but of the half-hour set I really liked at least 4 of the songs on first listen. In terms of the sound, it certainly wasn’t as full as Radiohead’s because of fewer members, but Thom Yorke’s solo live stuff can sound really big with Nigel Godrich’s computer wizardry on display behind him so it seems like a deliberate decision to go a bit more lo-fi.

I look forward to seeing whether an EP or album comes out of this, and presuming so for the moment, whether it’ll sound pretty much like the live versions or more produced. When it comes to Radiohead, the Kid A/Amnesiac and TKOL eras sound markedly different on record to live so it’ll be intriguing to find out.

Managed to get a pass for the whole thing in the end, The Smile were excellent I thought, obviously sounding like Radiohead, but different also, kind of like what Beak> are to Portishead. Hope they release some of this stuff. Was Nigel Godrich in the band, I couldn’t see him? 

• 1 month later...

Not sure how long it's been there, but the 1997 Pyramid Stage performance is up on iPlayer for the next few days. What a show, especially given they'd only just released their third album at the time.

it surprised me that It's that acoustic recording from the iron lung ep / some b-side, I thought it might be a new recording or maybe a remix of the album version... it reminds me of when I was a teen getting my first daw and changing the playback speed of everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Producer Nigel Godrich was interviewed by Coda Collection and stated in regards to the Smile side project, its done and dusted.

Godrich revealed that Smile has finished an album, and it’s “not a rock record. …It’s an interesting juxtaposition of things, but it does make sense. It will make sense.” 

• 1 month later...

Anniversary edition of Kid A + Amnesiac:

https://www.stereogum.com/2159671/radiohead-kid-a-amnesiac-reissue-unreleased-songs/music/

Tracks on the third disc (Kid Amnesiae):

LIKE SPINNING PLATES ('WHY US?' VERSION)

UNTITLED V1

FOG (AGAIN AGAIN VERSION)

IF YOU SAY THE WORD

FOLLOW ME AROUND

PULK/PULL (TRUE LOVE WAITS VERSION)

UNTITLED V2

THE MORNING BELL (IN THE DARK VERSION)

PYRAMID STRINGS

ALT. FAST TRACK

UNTITLED V3

HOW TO DISAPPEAR INTO STRINGS

I'm mainly curious about the previously unreleased stuff. If the above track is anything to go by, you have to wonder what their criteria must have been for what made the cut back in the day. That song is every bit as enjoyable as anything else from the last 20-odd years.

I’ve got Kid A Mnesia pre-ordered on vinyl (limited red disc copy) as I was literally just about the buy the two separately this month for the collection anyway. Managed to find it for £33 at PrestoMusic if anyone else wants it.

Also in case you haven’t seen it, Radiohead and Epic Games are doing some sort of digital exhibition coming out alongside it. Will be on PC and PS5…

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/9/22665509/radiohead-epic-games-kid-a-mnesia-exhibition-ps5