IGNORED

Gaming mondegreens/eggcorns (misheard audio)

Alex W.

A mondegreen is when you mishear music in a way that makes sense, but changes the meaning, e.g. "Lady mondegreen" for "laid him on the green".

An eggcorn is when you mishear a word or phrase in a way that makes sense and retains the sense of the original word, e.g. "eggcorn" for "acorn".

I am convinced to this day that Wario is saying "Diiiiiiiiirty bastard" in the last stage of Wario Ware for the GBA. See the 15 second mark on this video for an example:

Also, Mega-lo-Mania has loads:

"We're running out of elephants/evidence"

"The deduction run's completed"

"The design's a teddy"

Oh, and everything in Bubsy was a garbled mess - "Whats that warble when you're wrong"

I'm pretty sure someone from X-Men: Children of the Atom, right through to MvC2 shouted something that sounded like "jesus christ!" while they were fighting, but youtube is giving me nothing.

My favourite was when after months of watching me play SFIV, my friend asked why Cammy kept shouting "spider bubble" and "can of sprite"

My 5 year old daughter swore blind that there was a pokemon called 'Classic Jones'.  Turns out it was actually the announcer yelling Lucario on Smash Bros.  No, I don't hear it either.

She also refers to Waluigi as 'Wild Luigi' but that's completely excellent and I'm not correcting it.

So accurate:

Also in Street Fighter III: Third Strike - Fight For the Future I didn't know the character select guy said "woah (well?) I got the picture" and thought he said "I got the future", as if he had won the titular fight for the future...

Body blows on the Amiga was great for this. In fact I think my ears are probably better from straining to hear the digitised voices on things like the C64 as it was like some sort of magical future thing that the computer was actually talking (:omg:) so I'd really listen carefully, rather than admit it sounded like someone about as coherent as Tom Hardy's Bane while talking through a kazoo underwater.

7 hours ago, bradigorTEMP said:

I always used to think Ben Elton was popping up in Mortal Kombat shout "Tasty" 

It looks nothing like Ben Elton!!!

I used to think he was saying "WHOOPSIE!"

2 hours ago, matt0 said:

Throwing out two hadokens and a dragon punch on Street Fighter 2 in the arcade:

"Toolkit, Toolkit, Oooh Toolkit!"

And if you did that spinning kick move, you were getting out the "rack dack dack sprocket".

This thread led me to me finding myself referencing the exact same thing I mentioned earlier many years ago in this forum's MW2 thread.

Which mentions one I had forgotten from that game alongside Timmo's 'Tango Sucka': 'Tactical Header!'

Blanka stage in SNES Street Fighter 2 was 'Raviel' in my house.  Also when Ryu threw a fireball he said 'I moved it'. 

Also always used to think the fzero x announcer would say 'alright alright' when he was actually saying 'the final lap'.. :blink: