Gaming mondegreens/eggcorns (misheard audio)

Alex W.

The Napoleonic Wars mod/expansion for Mount and Blade was a really great multiplayer game, essentially Red Orchestra or Battlefield in the Napoleonic era... But the Austrians had a (loud and distracting) shout which sounded exactly like "GOD SHITS ON THE KAISER!"

(It was actually "Gott schutzen der Kaiser" which I believe means almost the exact opposite)

On the theme tune to World Cup Striker for the SNES my brother and I used the sing the lyrics "world cup garlicker".

I listened to it quite recently and it didn't sound like it used to, so maybe it was the shit audio of our portable TV back then.

Some great examples in here, but what made me smile most was the use of eggcorns in a thread title. I sincerely hope it's due to being a fan of Cornballs and Dr Buckles (or Count Buckulese if you prefer). 

Third strike announcer's "Yeeeaaah! I'm a racist!"on character select is my favourite.

Also in MVC2 I refused to believe War Machine yells "here's my Sunday best!" before his proton cannon super. Turns out that actually is what he says. Weird. 

Terry Bogard saying "fuck you" 50 times per round in Garou Mark of the Wolves (Japanese Dreamcast version anyway, not sure about other ones).

I'm just assuming that's not what he's meant to be saying, but who knows.

On 10/05/2016 at 11:14 PM, FozZ said:

Some great examples in here, but what made me smile most was the use of eggcorns in a thread title. I sincerely hope it's due to being a fan of Cornballs and Dr Buckles (or Count Buckulese if you prefer). 

I got it from reading Language Log, it's turned into a sort of technical term.

12 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I got it from reading Language Log, it's turned into a sort of technical term.

Ah, fair enough. Well if you don't know what im referring to, find the Adam and Joe podcasts where they discuss eggcorns. Incredibly funny. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...