The ZX Spectrum Next - Kickstarter Now Live! : Now Funded!

Next Poll  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...

there was an update that wasn't posted here - I can't get link to work

Test batch arrived and all assembled and tested with some issues but not ones with manufacturing.

First batch of 1000 keyboards to arrive in UK for assembly end of december and first batch of 1000 cases to arrive "shortly after". SMS to assemble those.

Then two more batches of keyboards and cases to arrive at 3 weekly intervals to allow for SMS assembly and shipping in batches.

EDIT - FB group has post saying test issues are sorted and first batch of keyboards are in the country - maybe an update imminent

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Gregory Wolfe said:

When this is fulfilled everyone who likened it to the Vega should apologise. This was clearly nothing like the Vega. The only thing they had in common was the Spectrum. One was a criminal enterprise and the other was an endeavour grounded in perfectionism.

Both were badly run projects, though. 

Unless of course the goal of the Vega from the very start was to deliver nothing, steal everyone’s money and face no consequences, in which case it was a fantastic bit of project management. 

5 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Both were badly run projects, though. 

Unless of course the goal of the Vega from the very start was to deliver nothing, steal everyone’s money and face no consequences, in which case it was a fantastic bit of project management. 

2F442DDD-B8BA-4BBC-99EC-A0DCC0A27778.jpeg.264125d1d64390fdfc765fc5c1d1753d.jpeg

2 hours ago, Gregory Wolfe said:

When this is fulfilled everyone who likened it to the Vega should apologise. This was clearly nothing like the Vega. The only thing they had in common was the Spectrum. One was a criminal enterprise and the other was an endeavour grounded in perfectionism.

Ok, when this is fulfilled all the naysayers were right?

;)

In getting the boards out to backers I feel like they’ve already done more than the Vega, but I appreciate that many people are waiting for the whole package.

The only other thing in favour of the Next is that so far they’ve avoided major public drama on social media, so if it is a shitshow behind the scenes then they’re keeping it behind the scenes...

3 hours ago, Qazimod said:

In getting the boards out to backers I feel like they’ve already done more than the Vega, but I appreciate that many people are waiting for the whole package.

The only other thing in favour of the Next is that so far they’ve avoided major public drama on social media, so if it is a shitshow behind the scenes then they’re keeping it behind the scenes...

Everything they eventually ever said about delays was genuine and it sounded legit too.

While I’m really, really glad that the Next looks like it’s going to be in backers hands in the next couple months, as @Alexlotl pointed out this whole project has been poorly managed overall. It’s going to end up two years delayed, there’s still stretch goals that are nowhere to be seen (Rex Next or Arc of Yesod anyone?) and the Pi Zero - which looks like has become an essential part with the great TZX support that’s been added - looks like it has been discontinued and is increasingly harder to find. That’s on top of the sporadic updates and 18 months spent on getting a keyboard to work. Let’s just hope that the build quality and reliability isn’t similar to Sinclair’s early spectrums (which with the tinkering around on the keyboard is my biggest concern).

Hey, I’m really glad I’m going to finally get it,  but the whole process has put me off backing anything else on Kickstarter or Indiegogo. I just hope they come through with the promise of making it open source, although my worry is that they’ll keep it closed until the second Kickstarter is fulfilled (and God knows when that would be).

15 hours ago, Gregory Wolfe said:

Nah, to all intents it looked exactly the same as they sailed past deadline after deadline with endless excuses about keyboards.

I'm very, very glad to hear it'll get over the line but the APPEARANCE wasn't hugely different for quite a while.

7 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

While I’m really, really glad that the Next looks like it’s going to be in backers hands in the next couple months, as @Alexlotl pointed out this whole project has been poorly managed overall. It’s going to end up two years delayed, there’s still stretch goals that are nowhere to be seen (Rex Next or Arc of Yesod anyone?) and the Pi Zero - which looks like has become an essential part with the great TZX support that’s been added - looks like it has been discontinued and is increasingly harder to find. That’s on top of the sporadic updates and 18 months spent on getting a keyboard to work. Let’s just hope that the build quality and reliability isn’t similar to Sinclair’s early spectrums (which with the tinkering around on the keyboard is my biggest concern).

Hey, I’m really glad I’m going to finally get it,  but the whole process has put me off backing anything else on Kickstarter or Indiegogo. I just hope they come through with the promise of making it open source, although my worry is that they’ll keep it closed until the second Kickstarter is fulfilled (and God knows when that would be).

somneone explain this to someone who hasn't done any speccy emulating beyond a basic run occasionally

7 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

While I’m really, really glad that the Next looks like it’s going to be in backers hands in the next couple months, as @Alexlotl pointed out this whole project has been poorly managed overall. It’s going to end up two years delayed, there’s still stretch goals that are nowhere to be seen (Rex Next or Arc of Yesod anyone?) and the Pi Zero - which looks like has become an essential part with the great TZX support that’s been added - looks like it has been discontinued and is increasingly harder to find.

Yes they are so hard to find :lol: Like.. whut?

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero?src=raspberrypi

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

somneone explain this to someone who hasn't done any speccy emulating beyond a basic run occasionally

TZX is a file format that needs to be transformed into audio in order to load into a Spectrum. The Next can't do that by itself, the Pi Zero performs that processing.

Edit: better explanations here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/specnext/permalink/1041026496254670/

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

Sorry, should have answered this! Just expanding on what @Camel said, TZX is a file format that’s essentially a zipped tape file for Spectrum emulators. You also get TAP and SNA files, but both are considered inferior (SNA is a literal snapshot of a Spectrum’s memory after the game has loaded). A TZX has much better compatibility due to it being an image of the tape itself, plus it can also contain multi load levels, extra 128k only data (like music for 128k enhanced games).The Next uses an in-built DivMMC interface to load games from an SD card, you can also buy these and use with old Spectrum hardware (I’ve got one for my +2).

The problem is that the DivMMC only supports SNA and TAP files, it doesn’t support TZX files which can make it a bit of a pain getting games to work on a real spectrum (some of the SNA snapshots were literally made in the mid 90s when emulation was just starting out). 

They’ve come up with a solution where if you have a Raspberry Pi Zero board in the Next, it can convert aTZX to an audio file and play it back to the Next. The last update showed how much it’s been improved where the audio can be speeded up to the point where it now takes about 10-15 seconds to load a game.

That is brilliant news, but the issue is that the Pi was an optional extra for backers, or you could buy one yourself and add it in. When it looked like the Pi Zero was getting harder to find, it became a bit of an annoyance that such a great feature was going to be difficult to use for the majority of backers.

On 25/12/2019 at 20:51, gone fishin' said:

Ah well that’s good. I checked the other day on that site and they weren’t available, plus there were posts on the Next Facebook group saying they were becoming increasingly difficult to find. 

Raspberry Pi foundation commited to producing them until at least 2022. There was a production shortage recently due to a component pipeline delay.

On 30/12/2019 at 12:39, Anne Summers said:

Awesome to see such things. 

But ... it doesn't look like a Spectrum game, does it? 

I'd like to see a version with colour clash intact!

It has those bold primary colours intact, but funnily enough, I'm just watching a Kim Justice video about the Amstrad CPC and it could be from that platform too. It'll be what it will be, I guess a few generations in I imagine some sort of a coherent Next style will start to emerge.

A new vid of Power Blade on the Next was released recently, that's looking really good too:

• 3 weeks later...