rllmuk
Robo_1

The ZX Spectrum Next - Kickstarter Now Live! : Now Funded!

Next Poll  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm been off radar with the updates on this as figured it'll come when it comes....so I'm not exactly down with what it can do with old Speccy games, so here's something I was wondering - can it run native original games in a kinda anti aliased hi res manner?

Was playing Star Wars at my mates house and it made me think of something like Forbidden Planet and thought it would be lovely to play that again, but imagine if those vectors were all that bit more hi-res....

I'm probably being stupid but y'never know...

Original Spectrum games can run faster if you want them to but no, unless they are re-coded in some way they will look exactly the same as before albeit sharper via HDMI if you are using a modern screen.

Personally mine will be hooked up to my 14” Sony Trinitron via an RGB lead which I’ve already bought.

what is finished? THe Next? they developed the circuit boards first and that was the first backer tier and they sent them out to enthusiasts who would have to provide a keyboard and case etc etc. Fully functional Next but without a case.

The one about to ship is the cased version with proper case keyboard (speccy+ style) leads manual box etc. The hefty delay has been down to perfecting the case and keyboard (especially the latter)

Yeah it says check it as it will lock in 48hrs - hoping to get it by end of month 

It's not a big con like the Vega+ then? I thought they'd run out of money etc? :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Camel said:

It's not a big con like the Vega+ then? I thought they'd run out of money etc? :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly they have 500 units ready to go out, will be sending them out in 500-unit batches as they come in.

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

If I remember correctly they have 500 units ready to go out, will be sending them out in 500-unit batches as they come in.

That's all related to assembly capacity and as I understand it there are already additional keyboards en route, via sea, from China.

I don't know if your response is intended to be negative but in light of the tongue in cheek post you're responding to it does come across as if you're implying that the way that this is being fulfilled is somehow less than ideal.

As a backer, I don't really mind if mine is posted first or last as I don't see the point in waiting until every last one is assembled before posting them in one go. It's not like this is a PS5 on launch day.

Well I may have it in time for my birthday after all.At this stage though I don't mind waiting a bit longer as I understand it will take a while to get all the orders out. Do we know how many units they actually sold?

33 minutes ago, Gregory Wolfe said:

That's all related to assembly capacity and as I understand it there are already additional keyboards en route, via sea, from China.

I don't know if your response is intended to be negative but in light of the tongue in cheek post you're responding to it does come across as if you're implying that the way that this is being fulfilled is somehow less than ideal.

As a backer, I don't really mind if mine is posted first or last as I don't see the point in waiting until every last one is assembled before posting them in one go. It's not like this is a PS5 on launch day.

You're reading far too much into my simple post, I fear. The fact they're due can only be a good thing.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Vimster said:

You're reading far too much into my simple post, I fear. The fact they're due can only be a good thing.

Agreed and I did allow the distinct possibility that I had misunderstood you.

• Upvote 1

Anyone know if this might appear in the shops or web sites at all?

I didn't back it but wouldn't mind one.

They used to sell some in the shop on the next website but this seems now sold out. They are running a poll for a new kickstarter for another batch at some point though.

https://www.specnext.com/kickstarter-2-poll/

5 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Anyone know if this might appear in the shops or web sites at all?

I didn't back it but wouldn't mind one.

I'm sure I read somewhere they were going to do another run on Kickstarter once this batch is out in the wild. I might have made that up though....

Haha, brilliant, they finally got it over the line. Well done everyone. :)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Gregory Wolfe said:

they even have vintage wallpaper to match!

thats dedication 

10 minutes ago, ulala said:

they even have vintage wallpaper to match!

thats dedication 

That's a 90s vintage.

EDIT: Which could, on reflection, be entirely appropriate for a Spectrum successor.

• Upvote 1

They are shipping just mostly super backers - tracking numbers are coming soon... it looks gorgeous! 

no idea how to even load a game on it yet but first up will be manic miner

Gotta be Exolon for me.  Then maybe Chase HQ.

After that, probably one of the 3 boxed Next games I just bought that Jim Bagley has released.

Can't wait now.

I actually never had a properly had a Speccy as I was a c64 man so looking forward to some classics

• Empathy 1

Just my luck that it starts shipping (2 years behind schedule) and I’m away on holiday! But I do think they’re shipping to the main basic backers next week, so hopefully I’ll be home to get it... 

I read the article in Retro Gamer and it does look amazing in the photos, although I’m also a bit annoyed that the Pi accelerator model has an additional HDMI out for monitoring (unless that’s also in the standard case and can be used if you manually add a Pi, which I’m definitely going to do seeing as it’s used for TZX support).

First game I’m going to play will be The Lords of Midnight, which as I mentioned in the dedicated thread has just been announced as being included on the Next’s SD card! After that I’m going to give the 28MHz “speeded up” games a try, like Driller and see what those games would have played like with more speed. Apparently MOVIE is quite good...

The first game I ever played, on any platform, was Maze Death Race in 1983. It was a passable Rally X clone. I think I'll try that first.

Here’s a video of a few games running at turbo modes, Stunt Car Racer looks like great fun!

Hopefully the community will modify some of the games to include AY music/FX, but I think I’m going to have the most fun with the Next in seeing what games benefit from the turbo modes. I have been picking up various Spectrum games (mostly compilations) since I backed the Next, but in the meantime I managed to get a Spectrum +2 and added a DivMMC future to it, meaning I’ve been able to play Spectrum games from SD card for over a year now, so that takes away the desire to play the original games I played back when I was a kid, as I’ve already played them!

It doesnt mean I won’t still play those games, but I’ll focus on the games that are enhanced by the Next (enhanced by Turbo modes or the ability to play TZX multi loads as the DivMMC has limited support for TAP multi load games) and I think I’ll give a lot more time to “modern” Spectrum games (that have been released after 1995 or so) as well as the AY enhanced hacks. I’m hoping that the Next will encourage a game hacking/enhancing community for the Spectrum, similar to the Commodore 64 scene’s groups like Hokuto Force.

• Upvote 1