The ZX Spectrum Next - Kickstarter Now Live! : Now Funded!

Next Poll  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

is the Your Sinclair top 100 regarded as the best games on the spectrum?

http://www.45worlds.com/game/vg_list.php?li=9589

A good starting point? or is there a better source

Obviously I am aware that there are loads of opinions but for instance the Amiga Power top 100 is a decent place to start for Amiga - similarly the zzap64 top 100 for c64. Not perfect but a good start point.

2 hours ago, Clipper said:

Obviously I am aware that there are loads of opinions but for instance the Amiga Power top 100 is a decent place to start for Amiga - similarly the zzap64 top 100 for c64. Not perfect but a good start point.

Yes that’s the Top 100, I think I’ve got those games sorted in a folder somewhere (might be on the SD of my +2), I’ll dig them out and post them on here.

My Next delivery is scheduled for tomorrow, although it was originally  scheduled for today but as I was on holiday, I contacted the Yodel driver direct on Thursday (incredibly they give you their mobile number if you want to re-arrange) and he said “oh I’ve your package here, I can just leave it with a neighbour”. I told him I’d rather wait until Saturday when I’m actually in. So much for “requiring a signature”....

13 hours ago, Clipper said:

It's as good a starting point as AP's list and was compiled by a lot of the same people.

15 hours ago, Clipper said:

I found the folder I created that contains all of the games from the YS Top 100 (handily labelled 1-100!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pcfpj7ojlsxsgg/YS top 100.zip?dl=0

It's a great list as it was compiled right at the end of the Spectrum's "life", plus it allowed a lot of older games that might have been discounted due to the crude graphics. There are a few notable omissions (Jet Pac is much better than Lunar Jetman, Way of the Exploding Fist is probably better on the C64, still good on the Speccy ), but it's a great starting point.  I'm going to be putting together the games for my Next SD card today, so as I transfer over the folders, I'll post ZIPs of ones that I think might be of use in getting started.

EDIT: here's a more friendly version for the Base Next with all TZX, DSK files removed: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nurpd0lto0se8xq/YS top 100 next.zip?dl=0

And as an added bonus, I've included Football Manager 2018 in the Football Manager folder, it's an updated version of Football Manager (faster, updated teams, includes editor etc). 

It would bee great if someone got a load of 20somethings who never grew up with the Speccy to play a ton of games and come up with the real best 100 games list, ie games that are playable and well-made rather than accepted "classics" which haven't aged well at all. Jet Set Willy is the epitome of that.

Finally arrived today and I've spent the afternoon tinkering around with it. I do get the minor complaint that it's a bit fickle to setup first (I thought I'd nerfed mine, but it turned out I'd pressed the wrong key) and it's not really that intuitive to use (unless you've had experience of the DivMMC). But so far I have to say I'm really impressed with it. I think there's going to be an awful lot of experimenting with it, but so far the Turbo Modes, when they work, do make some of the games much more playable. Buggy Boy at 7MHz is really playable now, although I used to enjoy it at normal speed but playing it at double speed and it's really smooth. Deep Strike at 14 Mhz goes along at a really nice pace, when it was quite sluggish before and The Duct, which was a bit of a give-away by Gremlin on their 10 Great Games II compilation plays like a really nice update to Tempest when at 14 Mhz. However, sometimes the Turbo Mode crashes the game or it doesn't really do much, so it's going to be a bit of experimenting and finding the ones that do work ( it's probably going to be mostly vector graphic games or driving games, I would imagine, maybe some shot em ups will benefit from it too). 

How does ULAPlus work? Do you need an extra ULAPlus file or is it automatic?

Oh and the DSK file support seems very hit and miss, I understand it doesn't support protected disks but so far the majority of DSKs I've tried have failed. 

So who's got some Next game recommendations? I've just ordered Warhawk as I love the C64 original and it looks pretty good.

Bubblegum Bros looks like a decent Bubble Bobble effort. Anyone played it? 

Baggers in Space looks interesting too.

I haven't even turned mine on yet. Hoping for some free time this evening. I'll probably:

Load up some classics via tape. Load up the terrible BASIC games I made as a kid. Load up some modern stuff, including some of the games a friend of mine has been releasing that I still haven't got round to trying - Terrapins, Bruce Lee DX and others.

Any other modern release recommendations or Next games I should try? Is there a good resource for Next scene demos?

For those that are just getting into the Spectrum through the Next, I've made up a few zipped folders that might help you get started.

One of the problems of downloading a TOSEC complete Spectrum games set is, to be frank, there's a lot of crap in there. Lots of home-brew or type in games from the 80s, as well as hundreds of Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy edited versions, meaning it's pretty hard to know what to play. I've created a folder called "Good Games", although technically there's still some shite in there. However,  I've tried to filter out the utter dross as well as removing the numerous TZX and alternative published (e.g. Spanish or budget re-release) files which would often mean there would be dozens of files in a single game folder. This is pretty big and includes around 6,000 files (probably about 1,500 games as there are TAP, Z80 and SNA versions in some folders). 

Second folder is some of the better Homebrew games released for the Spectrum. 2019 was a pretty good year, so there's a folder called... 2019 and then there's another folder called "Old". There's still plenty of games missing from this, but it's a decent start in Modern games for the Spectrum ( definitely give valleyofrainsen.tap a try, it's pretty amazing for a home-brew game!) 

The Next supports the ULAPlus enhancement feature where you can edit games to have a new palette. AFAIK, it doesn't remove colour clash and to be honest I'm not 100% sure about the palettes as they often make the games look like Atari 8-bit, MSX or C64 versions! I do have other games, but I'm finding the ULAPlus feature very flaky with these games, but these all seem to work. 

Finally I've put together a folder called... Pickford Classics... where you can experience the games that made the Pickford Brothers famous. These are 128k versions (if applicable), so you'll get some nice music or FX while playing them.

I noticed that the Next doesn't automatically sort the files alphabetically and AFAIK there's no "sort" feature. On my Mac I'm having to use fatsort, which runs a script and sorts the files into alphabetical order on the SD card, you might have to do something similar!

LINKS REMOVED - Lorfrius

Edited by Lorfarius
Sorry, but can't post public links to rom files!
11 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Is that Dizzy game out for it yet?

No, although there is the updated version of Crystal Kingdom Dizzy, but also missing are the updated versions of Rex and Arc of Yesod, which were promised as stretch goals....

Oh and here's another folder if you're just looking for some good games to get started...

Over 2 years ago, in preparation for the Next, I started to buy old Spectrum compilations on eBay, just so I could have the physical games, read the instructions etc while playing them on the Next (my original games have since long been given away...) I know, it's a bit sad really, but there are some cracking compilations where you can play some of the best games on the Spectrum. I've picked out the best ones and compiled them into a folder. Along with the YS Top 100, IMHO it's a pretty good starting point for trying out Spectrum games.

Link Removed - No ROM files please - Lorfarius

That's awesome work, swiped for when I get a next.

I've actually got an old RPi2 set up to pretend to be a Spectrum on startup, I might just replace its games line up with this.

1 hour ago, Camel said:

So who's got some Next game recommendations? I've just ordered Warhawk as I love the C64 original and it looks pretty good.

Bubblegum Bros looks like a decent Bubble Bobble effort. Anyone played it? 

Baggers in Space looks interesting too.

I haven't even turned mine on yet. Hoping for some free time this evening. I'll probably:

Load up some classics via tape. Load up the terrible BASIC games I made as a kid. Load up some modern stuff, including some of the games a friend of mine has been releasing that I still haven't got round to trying - Terrapins, Bruce Lee DX and others.

Any other modern release recommendations or Next games I should try? Is there a good resource for Next scene demos?

Baggers In Space is really playable. It’s a cross between Jet Pac and HERO on the Atari 2600.