The ZX Spectrum Next - Kickstarter Now Live! : Now Funded!

Robo_1

Next Poll  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just came in to post that :)

EDIT: I hope it's going to lead to more than just Hunter's Moon. For me, Hunter's Moon is one of those games that I really, really want to love but it just escapes me. I bought the original when it came out on the C64 (and still have it) and I've got the remastered version, but the slow turning/moving speed of the ship and speed of enemy bullets just leads to an unsatisfying experience where deaths aren't always avoidable.

Would be nice to get sequels in the same way as Warhawk has been done; ie a souped up sequel. A new Armalyte would be amazing.

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

From the BBC "The Vega+ console, a separate project that was crowdfunded through Indiegogo failed to meet expectations and the makers eventually lost the right to use the “ZX Spectrum” and “Sinclair” trademarks as a result."

err thats not the half of it!

Not even sure why they mentioned it. It's not like the Spectrum Next is new, it's already been through a successful first run with a decent finished product. Questions about updating the computer aside, it's almost a dead cert to be delivered. 

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

Not even sure why they mentioned it. It's not like the Spectrum Next is new, it's already been through a successful first run with a decent finished product. Questions about updating the computer aside, it's almost a dead cert to be delivered. 

Probably just because it's a mainstream news source, and the Vega incident was probably the most famous crossover event between the real world and the Spectrum community in a long while. The target audience for their reporting isn't retro computing fans, but the sort of people who might read it and think "Hmm don't I remember something about some crowdfunding scam involving the Spectrum? What was that again?"

On 15/08/2020 at 22:01, Camel said:

Number of backers has passed the first, 5 days in.

That's genuinely unbelievable. Given the price hike, by any measure they've got a hit on their hands.

Given that the molds and keyboard design are all done, I wonder if the next step will be to stick a simple mobile chipset in there with a Nextified version of FUSE and mass produce the thing as the ultimate Spectrum with a sub £100 price tag.

I am genuinely stunned they're doing those sorts of numbers, given both the price hike and the rocky economic times we're headed through.

I’m still swithering - I watched the NostalgiaNerd review of the first machine again, in addition to the power problem with the HDMI connection he demonstrated a timing issue with a 2018, built for the Next, game which worked correctly through VGA but not HDMI. Is that a separate issue? VGA ports are becoming rare, I don’t think I’ve got one in my house.

2 hours ago, Darwock said:

I’m still swithering - I watched the NostalgiaNerd review of the first machine again, in addition to the power problem with the HDMI connection he demonstrated a timing issue with a 2018, built for the Next, game which worked correctly through VGA but not HDMI. Is that a separate issue? VGA ports are becoming rare, I don’t think I’ve got one in my house.

That’s a separate issue and I don’t think it’s one that can be resolved. Remember though that the timings issue mainly affects newer games that use special timing techniques to get around colour clash problems. 

You can still pick up monitors with VGA ports for next to nothing if you don’t mind having another monitor on your desk.

Personally I use mine via RGB on a Sony Trinitron so no such issues arise.

3 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

That's genuinely unbelievable. Given the price hike, by any measure they've got a hit on their hands.

Given that the molds and keyboard design are all done, I wonder if the next step will be to stick a simple mobile chipset in there with a Nextified version of FUSE and mass produce the thing as the ultimate Spectrum with a sub £100 price tag.

I am genuinely stunned they're doing those sorts of numbers, given both the price hike and the rocky economic times we're headed through.

Someone might go down that route at some point but the Next relies on FPGA hardware to perform so many of its tricks. It just wouldn’t be the same machine.

4 hours ago, Swainy said:

You can still pick up monitors with VGA ports for next to nothing if you don’t mind having another monitor on your desk.

You can in 2020, part of the reason for buying something like this is future proofing.  VGA is dead the same way SCART is.  Hdmi, or something with a direct digital conversion is going to be a thing for a very, very long time.

49 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You can in 2020, part of the reason for buying something like this is future proofing.  VGA is dead the same way SCART is.  Hdmi, or something with a direct digital conversion is going to be a thing for a very, very long time.

Well I prefer my games to look as nature intended. I can’t stand old games on modern screens.

7 hours ago, Dudley said:

I get that but then surely the product for you is "A Spectrum"?

A Spectrum that doesn't output RGB without modification, doesn't support multiple Spectrum 'personalities', doesn't play Next games or support Next BASIC, can't be used to run other cores etc etc etc? 

btw, I wonder if they're still looking into the possibility of solving the HDMI timing issues with a buffer?

1 hour ago, Camel said:

A Spectrum that doesn't output RGB without modification, doesn't support multiple Spectrum 'personalities', doesn't play Next games or support Next BASIC, can't be used to run other cores etc etc etc? 

A 128 or above will do the first two things, unfortunately most Spectrum games are likely to be nothing but a brief nostalgic curiosity for most people as they generally have aged terribly. 

The Next specific stuff is of course largely an unknown quantity but for me if you want to play Spectrum games, get a +2 and a DivMMC. 

1 hour ago, mikejenkins said:

A 128 or above will do the first two things, unfortunately most Spectrum games are likely to be nothing but a brief nostalgic curiosity for most people as they generally have aged terribly. 

The Next specific stuff is of course largely an unknown quantity but for me if you want to play Spectrum games, get a +2 and a DivMMC. 

I wouldn't even bother paying for that. You can use your mobile with a 3.5mm stereo cable to load all games instantly.

29 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I wouldn't even bother paying for that. You can use your mobile with a 3.5mm stereo cable to load all games instantly.

I found that extremely unreliable on my +2 but I understand it is possible. 

58 minutes ago, mikejenkins said:

I found that extremely unreliable on my +2 but I understand it is possible. 

I've found some people try to do this with MP3s which is a mistake for obvious reasons, not saying that was you of course.