The ZX Spectrum Next - Kickstarter Now Live! : Now Funded!

Robo_1

Next Poll  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked in on the Kickstarter progress to see if they are anywhere near the £1.5m and it's at £1,422,411 with 6 days to go. I wasn't all that bothered about them reaching it until I read that success will mean a new episode of Head over Heels with the help of Jon Ritman. Really hoping they get there.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spectrumnext/zx-spectrum-next-issue-2?ref=ksr_email_user_watched_project_launched

They've made it with time to spare. :omg:

Really pleased for them and looking forward to getting my hands on my very own Next. Just looking at the info pages with the photos and specifications brings me joy. I haven't looked forward to something in gaming this much in a long time.

Have they got any plans to release this at retail or is Kickstarter going to be the only way of getting one? I want to get one but I don’t really want to put money down now and have to wait a year before receiving it, especially with the next gen systems being released in a couple of months.

6 hours ago, Ghost said:

Have they got any plans to release this at retail or is Kickstarter going to be the only way of getting one? I want to get one but I don’t really want to put money down now and have to wait a year before receiving it, especially with the next gen systems being released in a couple of months.

Last time they were in talks with Amazon but seemed to fall apart, there's been way more public interest for the second so there's every possibility. But they've announced nothing and I wouldn't count on it. If you don't get one now you might never get chance again unless you want to pay extortionate eBay prices.

11 hours ago, watusi said:

Ngggh.... I'm getting tempted to back this at the last minute. Does the accelerated version actually offer much? I don't really care about TZX files which seems to be the main selling point

You can always add a pi zero yourself at a later date. Personally if I had the money, I’d go for the accelerated version. 

11 hours ago, Swainy said:

You can always add a pi zero yourself at a later date. Personally if I had the money, I’d go for the accelerated version. 

Cheers, I completely forgot to back it - just like last time! Must be destiny, or kids getting me distracted.

On 12/08/2020 at 17:15, gone fishin' said:

There was a lot of fanfare about the number of backers in the first hour for this, but it’s currently at just over 2,000 backers, which is surprisingly much lower than the first one (over 3,300 backers IIRC)

This aged well. 5,226 backers, £1.8M. Yowzers.

Already got a bit of not-buyer's-remorse after deciding against giving this a miss due to the price hike moving it just out of the range of what I feel comfortable spending on a fun curiosity that won't be of much practical use to a non-programmer like me. Considering I've spend much of the past couple of years while working with Baggers at Antstream pestering him to tell me when the second Kickstarter would launch. But I'm so happy to see what a success this was, and hopeful that it might get a retail launch at some point, either at a slightly more palatable price point or at a time when my finances aren't quite so stretched on other commitments.  

25 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Already got a bit of not-buyer's-remorse after deciding against giving this a miss due to the price hike moving it just out of the range of what I feel comfortable spending on a fun curiosity that won't be of much practical use to a non-programmer like me. Considering I've spend much of the past couple of years while working with Baggers at Antstream pestering him to tell me when the second Kickstarter would launch. But I'm so happy to see what a success this was, and hopeful that it might get a retail launch at some point, either at a slightly more palatable price point or at a time when my finances aren't quite so stretched on other commitments.  

it will be a lovely machine, but I wonder how many of the 5000 will be used to their full potential or just be ornaments.

there will be people regretting missing it in future, but also people regretting their purchase - just marry the two together.

As a backer of the first Kickstarter, I’ve certainly got no regrets. It’s a great machine which gets lots of use and with a much stronger user base now due to the success of the second Kickstarter l should imagine that we will see a lot more software developed for it.

I skipped out on it, it's just too much of a combination of expensive and having to wait a year for some reason and technical problems that would affect how *I* would want to use it.

If they ever do a retail one of the good model for £250ish I'll probably end up getting one.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Given the delivery time the difference might be academic but if it's neither time nor unit limited, about fucking time, someone tell Analogue.

its not academic, there is a huge difference in purchasing something and pledging via Kickstarter .