Civilization VI - Civ on the streets, Civ in the sheets

Blu3Flame

I thought I had the 'complete' version of Civ V but massive spaceships and AI minds don't sound familiar at all...? I'm sure on Steam it says all DLC installed too.

Or are you referring to VI?

The one thing that never really seems to work when I play it is the cities being so influenced by your culture that they revolt and join you, happens really rarely compared to IV (for me) even if I then go on to win a culture victory and generally concentrate more on that than I do war mongering or what have you. Often war is the only option even if my culture influence/ borders are really squeezing up against a neighbour.

In IV you could seem to expand through culture much easier, or perhaps I'm just not doing something quite right...

1 hour ago, b00dles said:

I thought I had the 'complete' version of Civ V but massive spaceships and AI minds don't sound familiar at all...? I'm sure on Steam it says all DLC installed too.

Or are you referring to VI?

The one thing that never really seems to work when I play it is the cities being so influenced by your culture that they revolt and join you, happens really rarely compared to IV (for me) even if I then go on to win a culture victory and generally concentrate more on that than I do war mongering or what have you. Often war is the only option even if my culture influence/ borders are really squeezing up against a neighbour.

In IV you could seem to expand through culture much easier, or perhaps I'm just not doing something quite right...

No you are doing it right, I don't think I've ever seen a city flip in V. Expansion is pretty much via war and no other means in V, particularly if you are on a smaller map as the AI blobs so quickly that you don't have the space to plant any more cities.

Yeah it weirdly happened most when I was playing as Harald Bluetooth, which is one of the newer DLC civs, it even happened a few times for the AI as well, so I wonder if it was working things out differently.

That was one of my most satisfying bits of IV, that my amazing collection of wonders would convince the other civs to join without me lifting a finger. If anything, it often made it more 'interesting' because I'd have a poop army as I'd concentrate so much on culture and wonders that if one of them did decide they didn't like my cultural ways, I'd have to furiously start upping the defences.

But it doesn't really work in V and also loads of the later tech is pretty much only geared toward war (or spaceships). I invariably end up going on a giant death robot spree :ph34r:

2 hours ago, b00dles said:

I see. [/ryo hazuki]

Although to me, that's still a bit of an ideal, if you could properly carry on in space with all the civs that you were with on earth, and tech and so on, that would be great.

Fairly sure one of the games created when Sid Meier and Brian Reynolds split with Microprose did that sort of thing.

On 12 May 2016 at 1:50 PM, b00dles said:

Yeah it weirdly happened most when I was playing as Harald Bluetooth, which is one of the newer DLC civs, it even happened a few times for the AI as well, so I wonder if it was working things out differently.

That was one of my most satisfying bits of IV, that my amazing collection of wonders would convince the other civs to join without me lifting a finger. If anything, it often made it more 'interesting' because I'd have a poop army as I'd concentrate so much on culture and wonders that if one of them did decide they didn't like my cultural ways, I'd have to furiously start upping the defences.

But it doesn't really work in V and also loads of the later tech is pretty much only geared toward war (or spaceships). I invariably end up going on a giant death robot spree :ph34r:

I always end up following the top tech path for the massive cultural benefits, and end up with the Internet before inventing computers. It's diplomacy the later techs struggle with.

Diplomacy in all of these games since colonization never really worked.

I still think it's really weird you can't seem to open up any of the advisor panels etc when someone offers to become chums or whatever. I've inadvertantly befriended the most hated civ quite a few times because I've not really kept up with it unless it notifies that someone has gone to war or something.

I still love them more than makes sense but I'd be the first person to go into the huge amount of odd things in them or things that should be better by now.

The entire genre needs some serious advancements. I think Paradox is probably the only one that has shown some new ideas (and also the company behind Galactic Civilizations II, which I think is simply amazing).

Civ has become the new Football Manager. A tons of promises with no real advancements anywhere.

17 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

The entire genre needs some serious advancements. I think Paradox is probably the only one that has shown some new ideas (and also the company behind Galactic Civilizations II, which I think is simply amazing).

Civ has become the new Football Manager. A tons of promises with no real advancements anywhere.

That's nonsense though isn't it? The last version was substantially different to the previous one. You had the map itself moving to hexes, no unit stacking, ranged units meaning terrain is significant for city placement and conflict, social policies which are a huge change from the previous system, tourism as the culture end game which is entirely different and so on and so on. Paradox games are entirely different, Civilization isn't a historical simulator, I don't want a game where you spend the years from -3000 BC to 1000 AD with a big splash screen saying YOU HAVE TYPHOID PRESS END TURN.

7 hours ago, Sirloin said:

That's nonsense though isn't it? The last version was substantially different to the previous one. You had the map itself moving to hexes, no unit stacking, ranged units meaning terrain is significant for city placement and conflict, social policies which are a huge change from the previous system, tourism as the culture end game which is entirely different and so on and so on. Paradox games are entirely different, Civilization isn't a historical simulator, I don't want a game where you spend the years from -3000 BC to 1000 AD with a big splash screen saying YOU HAVE TYPHOID PRESS END TURN.

What you describe I don't see as significant advancements. Other strategy games already have them in some form or another already. Main problems like the completely mental AI, diplomacy, simplification of city management, leaders that make no sense are still present. Your post describes exactly what the FM series is doing: changing minor things to the design, sometimes for the better others for the worse, but they never tackle the serious issues that keeps the games stale in my opinion. And don't let me start about the bugs.

Civilization sure ain't a historical simulation but it seems to try so hard to be one for some strange reason. Maybe that's what's keeping it down.

I've owned V for ages and dabbled in it, but one of my lads has just got into to playing (he is 12) and is really enjoying it. Problem is, I don't have the 2 expansions, so maybe I am limiting his enjoyment. Question is now to get the expansions when are cheap again (£20 each at the moment seems ridiculous) or wait for VI.

First world problems!

47 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

I've owned V for ages and dabbled in it, but one of my lads has just got into to playing (he is 12) and is really enjoying it. Problem is, I don't have the 2 expansions, so maybe I am limiting his enjoyment. Question is now to get the expansions when are cheap again (£20 each at the moment seems ridiculous) or wait for VI.

First world problems!

You only need Brave New World. It contains all of the changes Gods & Kings made to the game, you only miss out on the scenarios.

3 hours ago, Vorgot said:

First world problems!

The Brave New World expansion was a fiver on Steam a couple of days ago, which I still think is a bit pricey considering how often the entire package has been on sale for just a few quid more, but they are fairly regularly on sale.

I play civ in a weird way, it's always been my go to game for when I don't feel like playing anything that requires any reactions. I played 2 when I was younger but 3 was the first one I really fell in love with. A few years ago I wanted to play it but found that my laptop didn't have a disc drive so my faithful old civ 3 disc was obsolete. I upgraded to the steam version then, but I've always tried to ensure that I can play it on any old laptop so I never moved on to IV.

Obviously I know IV is supposed to be the best one, so I promised myself that now that it's old enough to run on pretty much anything I'd give it a go. A week in it's absolutely spectacular, I genuinely love it. I'll be excited to see this in ten years time :)