rllmuk
Blu3Flame

Civilization VI - Civ on the streets, Civ in the sheets

2 hours ago, Sirloin said:

I think Culture is the easiest, well, religion might be easier, but it’s very tedious. With culture you want to target certain key wonders, and also you want to keep an eye on where you can place National Parks and resorts. Tile improvements that give tourism are incredibly powerful as well, like the La Venta heads or the Easter Island statues. Religion and culture go together very well.

Yep agree totally, culture and science are probably the most fun victories. Religion drags on and on, while conquest takes so damn long. You almost always know you are going to win once you've conquered half the world, so the second half can really drag.

Still, a wonderful game and I've been tempted to get it on Switch a few times now.

They are releasing a season pass thing with a load of new civs and game modes. Not sure how much it will cost but I’m obviously going to buy it.

Downloaded the first part of the season pass on Thursday on the Switch. First it prevented all games being played, then that’s been patched but touchscreen controls have stopped working :( 

IS the (original...not the season pass new DLC) worth it?

I'm ok with it on the switch but wonder if the DLC would make it shine?

Was there any reasoning as to why they didn't add multiplayer to the Switch? It's the only thing stopping me from picking it up. It just seems like such an oversight.

34 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Was there any reasoning as to why they didn't add multiplayer to the Switch? It's the only thing stopping me from picking it up. It just seems like such an oversight.

It already has multiplayer. Unless they’ve removed it?

The new unique unit from the new Lahore city state is ridiculous. It's basically a faith bought alternative to a melee unit that has no resource requirements and its own skill tree; oh, it goes up in strength to be slightly better that swordsmen/musketmen ect with encampment buildings and retroactively upgrades in tier so it never goes obsolete (doesn't cost to upgrade like normal melee units either) and if that wasn't enough, only costs 300 faith which doesn't increase multiplicativly with units bought.

You can absolutely monster the early game with them if you can get a decent faith game going.  

4 hours ago, Hexx said:

IS the (original...not the season pass new DLC) worth it?

I'm ok with it on the switch but wonder if the DLC would make it shine?

Absolutely.

5 hours ago, Hexx said:

Local only, not online 

Is it? Didn’t realise.

On 23/05/2020 at 12:17, therearerules said:

Downloaded the first part of the season pass on Thursday on the Switch. First it prevented all games being played, then that’s been patched but touchscreen controls have stopped working :( 

I don't use the touchscreen, how is it running on Switch now? Give me an excuse to spend pls.

The PC version still works with the switch doesnt it (cross platform save?) might be nice to own both.

35 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

I don't use the touchscreen, how is it running on Switch now? Give me an excuse to spend pls.

If you don’t use touchscreen it works perfectly apart from 2 graphics glitches- stretched portraits when choosing civ, and science victory tracker is messed up. Everything else is fine (apart from touchscreen grumble)- diplomatic victory is much more doable, especially on apocalypse mode.

• Upvote 1

This is the first Civ I have played in ages, the last one was IV.....I think. I like this game, but I'm having a hard time loving it.

Diplomacy seems broken, and quite random. It doesn't really matter what you do, the AI is going to denounce or attack you regardless of your behavior. Most diplomatic interactions are also just spam...trade one of this for one of that for 30 turns. I've reach the point where I just auto dismiss anything the AI wants because it wont make a difference. 

Yeah, I like the game because its charming and it looks beautiful but the poor AI and lackluster maps makes me think this is the end of the road for Civilization. The game doesn't seem to have evolved to meet modern standards especially not if you compare it to games made by Paradox. I'm going to check if there are some overhaul mods for this game because it really needs some more flavor. 

17 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Diplomacy seems broken, and quite random. It doesn't really matter what you do, the AI is going to denounce or attack you regardless of your behavior. Most diplomatic interactions are also just spam...trade one of this for one of that for 30 turns. I've reach the point where I just auto dismiss anything the AI wants because it wont make a difference. 

Can't really agree with that at all. I've just hit the modern age in a peaceful run through and not been attacked or denounced once. I've not been aggressive, concentrating on things inside my own borders, keeping relationships friendly and having four or five alliances going at once. 

If gold doesn't make a difference to your game then you're playing it wrong, spend that extra cash, it's not doing anything useful piling up in your bank account.

Otherwise to avoid getting attacked you need to be relatively powerful, keeping your army a decent size so that chancers like Rome won't attempt to roll you over for your coal.

The maps are just the same as they've ever been in Civ, but there's plenty of choice when you start a game on how you'd like the rough layout to be. Pangea needs a different strategy to archipelago for example.

There's more to diplomacy than just trade, there's spying and getting information on your opponents. The United Nations votes and diplomacy points, special events, border agreements, swapping or buying art. 

Paradox games, conversely, don't have very good city building elements, even if their war and diplomacy is more nuanced, horses for courses. Having said that Stellaris' diplomacy is pretty laughable too, for advanced races there sure is a lot of childish long lasting grudges. The ability to say, let's put out differences behind us and deal with this hegemonic swarm or elder species that wants to destroy us all is sorely missing. :)

Yes, perhaps I dont know how to play the game properly yet since its been so long @Danster. I should probably watch a youtube guide or two. 

Having said that Stellaris' diplomacy is pretty laughable too, for advanced races there sure is a lot of childish long lasting grudges. The ability to say, let's put out differences behind us and deal with this hegemonic swarm or elder species that wants to destroy us all is sorely missing

Yes the diplomacy in Stellaris isn't that great, but diplomacy in EUIV is excellent in my opinion. 

I've put an embarrassing amount of hours into this since I built my PC. It has such a lovely atmosphere. The lovely music, Sean Bean's lovely voice, the lovely little details of your cities when you zoom right in, the little cutscenes of wonders being constructed - I find it all so soothing and lovely and it just eats up time. It's the perfect furlough game. 

I've had a science and a culture victory so far, both on the Prince difficulty level. I guess I need to bump up the difficulty a bit as it seems you can defend yourself (and even absolutely stomp anyone who starts a war with you) just with an airport and a few bombers. It's very satisfying to capture a city or two from the dickhead who started the war with you to teach them a lesson. 

Since I got this free from the Epic store, I feel like I should get some DLC. Which of the expansions do you guys recommend? 

• Empathy 1

13 hours ago, Pungee said:

Since I got this free from the Epic store, I feel like I should get some DLC. Which of the expansions do you guys recommend? 

Gathering Storm contains all the gameplay changes from Rise and Fall, it's just missing the new civs and wonders, so if you just want to buy an expansion that's the one. It's what I did recently until I ended up upgrading to the platinum version anyway. I've also gone back to this recently and sunk many hours into it.

Saying that, you can get a steam key for the Platinum version from CD Keys for £26.99 which is everything apart from the new Frontier pass.

• Upvote 1