IGNORED

No Time To Die: Bond 25 - Out Now

Goose

I can only assume everyone doubting Hiddlestone is basing it on his performance as Loki rather than The Night Manager or High Rise, because he's absolutely ripped and looks sharp in a suit.

Spoiler

The-Night-Manager.jpg

Tom-filming-The-Night-Manager-tom-hiddle

4288.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Even leaving his age aside Elba would be dreadful, as he has been in everything else for the last decade.  How he's become some sort of national treasure is beyond me, good looking fellow no doubt but there's only so long you can coast on The Wire nostalgia.

As much as I'd love to see either of them they'll never go for Fassbender or Hardy, too high profile.  I'd be more than happy with Dan Stevens after The Guest, and he seems to have a similar sort of pre-Bond exposure level that they usually go for.

Hardy would be immense. Got enough charisma, but also the sense of being a cad and a bounder. Dan Stevens has shown he can do the detached sort of charm Bond needs. Must watch The Guest again, great little film.

There's something really unlikeable about Idris Elba. I get the impression he spends a good portion of his evenings staring at his naked self in the mirror.

I'd be happy with any of:

Christian Bale

Tom Hiddlestone

Michael Fassbender

Tom Hardy

Bob Hoskins

On 5/15/2016 at 9:33 PM, Goose said:

What's odd is that Sam Mendes ruled himself out of returning for Bond 25, but was seen meeting with Hiddleston last week. Could just be that they want to work together and has nothing to do with Bond or perhaps Craig was the reason Mendes didn't want to return....

Aren't Mendes and Craig both producers now? Even if Mendes (and Craig) is moving on, I can't imagine he'd relinquish all control. Meeting with Hiddleston could be part of his Producer duties.

22 hours ago, Dirk_Crisis said:

Me too. But that was only one film. That said, I do wonder if Craig "auditioned" for Bond through his performance in Layer Cake.

Also, a rare serious NEG post!

It was rumoured that Amy Pascal offered him the role after Layer Cake.

Except she wasn't in charge at EON, so he had to go through the "interview process"

The other front runners were: Henry Cavill (too young), Ian Glen (too old) and the Eastern European doctor from ER (too foreign). 

I think one of the issues with Bond is that when a new actor plays the role, they tend to go in an opposite direction from the previous actor (Connery->Moore->Dalton->Brosnan->Craig = violent->comedy->serious->shit->serious yeah I've missed out Lasenby because they were trying to emulate Connery ) and they really follow the current Hollywood trends. Dalton's were going more like Lethal Weapon/Die Hard, Brosnan's were 90s action, Craig's the realism of the Bourne films.

Trouble is, what's the current Hollywood trend that Bond could be like? Super hero films? Nolan-sequel gritty but realistic (they're kind of doing that). Old man comes out of retirement like Taken (bring back Brosnan??) Bourne is coming back, that might have an impact. 

I think for me QoS, Skyfall and Spectre were far too glossy with not enough substance to them. Both Skyfall and Spectre looked amazing but they were pretty boring (especially Spectre). They felt like they were made by a committee shoehorning Bond references into them. They also felt like they've been trying to tie them together, but apart from Blofeld saying "I was the one behind all your pain", there is no real substance behind that. No clues in the previous films leading up to the reveal of Blofeld.

Thats why I Think they should give it to someone like Nolan. Come up with a trilogy that's actually linked to each other. Use Bale or even Hardy. Don't bother with an origins or a reboot. But make a good story. That vision behind the "Bond universe" is what's missing for me at the moment. The films now just feel like another random series of events with set pieces dotted along the way.

I don't think it needs a trilogy or anything complicated like that. It just needs a very good story and script. It's a very hard task to be able to tread the line between Austin Powers and Jason Bourne. GoldenEye is probably the closest to getting that line right, I think.

Just give me Bond at the peak of his powers on an exciting, sexy adventure.

4 hours ago, Timmo said:

There's something really unlikeable about Idris Elba. I get the impression he spends a good portion of his evenings staring at his naked self in the mirror.

Any actor who does 7 hour DJ sets is too up his own arse even for the Bond role, let's be honest.

IMG_1477.JPG

The best on-screen version of a Bond type - the government hitman - wasn't even in a Bond film; it was in Sicario. Del Toro's character is exactly what a real-life Bond would be; a remorseless killer, fruitlessly trying to hold back the tide and soothing his wounds with the murder of innocents, all in the service of his country.

If we do get a Hiddleston Bond however I expect his character to hew closer to the lighter days of Bond than Craig's; more flirting, more one-liners and more fun during the action - which could be good as Craig has proved time and again that he's is absolute shit at comedy. However I'd expect his violence to be the more clinical, detached type when compared to Craig's thuggery. Hiddleston could play the necessary duality of such a killer very well.

Has Bond had a laser battle in space since Roger Moore? I don't think so because Roger Moore's Bond was so realistic, he insisted on the scene being filmed in low earth orbit.

The film industry hasn't had the budget or the expertise to repeat this feat so it's time a new lead and director reached for the stars again.

I think most of the bookies "favourites" are far too famous. I barley knew who Craig was, only knew Brosnan from a shitty tv show  (and Taffin) and had never heard of Dalton at all. 

I think Matthew Goode is in with a chance and there was someone I thought would be perfect in the role, but now I've forgotten who!

I wonder if Cavill might be up for it. He was on the short list last time and as his Superman stuff has hardly been well received maybe its time to jump ship.

I just remembered who would make a great Bond - Richard Armitage! - what do you guys think?