No Time To Die: Bond 25 - Out Now

Goose

11 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I love this idea.

But like Joker, the studio just wouldn’t be able to help themselves once they have a hit on their hands and we’ll be looking at sequels quicker than you can shake a Vodka Martini (blended with ice, syrup and tiny umbrella)

“Just what does Vesper get up to when James is off getting monologued at by men of a certain age with delusions of grandeur?

Find out in the next film in the James Bond Universe: ‘Handbags in Knightsbridge”, sponsored by Harvey Nichols”

All this stuff about a female Bond or a black Bond is simply never going to happen as the Broccoli family are extremely conservative in their views. I’ve no idea why anyone would want a woman in the role anyway, it simply wouldn’t be Bond anymore. 

Can’t we just invent a new female spy film franchise instead?

On 20/09/2020 at 19:51, sandman said:

All this stuff about a female Bond or a black Bond is simply never going to happen as the Broccoli family are extremely conservative in their views. I’ve no idea why anyone would want a woman in the role anyway, it simply wouldn’t be Bond anymore. 

Can’t we just invent a new female spy film franchise instead?

I can vaguely see Bond being a woman but she'd probably have a harder time convincingly abusing a string of one-dimensional men and getting away with it. It simply wouldn't be patriarchal.

If Bond still has to be a thing he needs to stay as a regular White dude because the idea of, say, a Black man being a murderous psychopath caping for the British Empire adds an extra layer or two of wretched. 

It'd be interesting to do a Bond where he's the baddie. You'd barely need to change the character. A dusty, womanising, vodka swilling relic of an imperial age that murders to uphold the control of a fading western power and the person who tries to stop him. You get to update the franchise into something more palatable to a modern audience whilst keeping the main character as close to the arsehole with the borderline personality disorder from the books as you desire. Everyone wins!

12 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

It'd be interesting to do a Bond where he's the baddie. You'd barely need to change the character. A dusty, womanising, vodka swilling relic of an imperial age that murders to uphold the control of a fading western power and the person who tries to stop him. You get to update the franchise into something more palatable to a modern audience whilst keeping the main character as close to the arsehole with the borderline personality disorder from the books as you desire. Everyone wins!

“Mr Bond, how do you get to sleep with all these beautiful women?”

“Rohypnol”

48 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

“No Time to Die” is now set to open the same weekend as “Fast & Furious” sequel “F9.”

Back in March, when F9 was delayed by 10 months to arrive at that April 2021 release date, it seemed like such a long delay would probably be excessive. Now it's looking like even that's not going to be enough. :(

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Thing is, Universal is distributing this internationally, and F&F is also theirs. So something will have to give there. No way are they releasing them together.

Well called. 

F9 is moving to May 28th.

I do feel sorry for cinemas and studios could be doing more to help. What about re-releasing every bond film into cinemas between now and Christmas. 

There is back catalogue cinema releases which could be mined but not much is happening at the moment. 

8 hours ago, McCoy said:

I do feel sorry for cinemas and studios could be doing more to help. What about re-releasing every bond film into cinemas between now and Christmas. 

There is back catalogue cinema releases which could be mined but not much is happening at the moment. 

Bond was our last hope. Back catalogue has been beyond dismal. Tenet lasted two days before we had empty shows left and right. Our current weekly business with Tenet was the same attendance as a low key Saturday. 

It is difficult to see how the cinema industry can survive until Christmas at this point. Even with mass layoffs, which are inevitable now, the business is not sustainable. You can't run a business based on 8% of your previous income.

We need a few big releases to draw whatever business is in this climate, but the studios don't want to lose money on their films and apparently no one except Nolan is pointing out that unless you release films there will be no industry to release your films into.

With the amount of releases backed up now to this will also cripple production. If you've got six £200 million films you are going to tank on in the can why make another? The whole industry will collapse unless someone takes the hit on a film. 

I can’t help but feel that cinemas have themselves to largely blame for the predicament they currently find themselves in. 

There’s a world of small but interesting film out there that the cinemas could have been introducing people to over the years but instead they’ve almost always put their eggs in one basket by showing nothing but the big mainstream releases. Now when the big mainstream releases dry up they’re left with a potential customer base that only has a taste for what they can no longer supply.

I love film more than anything but while I of course feel empathy for anyone losing their jobs, the closing down of cinema chains elicits little more than a shrug from me.

I’ll continue to see interesting cinema just as I always had to do, by buying disks and using streaming services like Mubi etc. 

57 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

From the Variety article

"The film, starring Daniel Craig in his final stint as the agent formerly known as 007"

Why "formerly"?

He's retired. Someone else has the 007 designation.

3 hours ago, cultofweaver said:

Bond was our last hope. Back catalogue has been beyond dismal. Tenet lasted two days before we had empty shows left and right. Our current weekly business with Tenet was the same attendance as a low key Saturday. 

It is difficult to see how the cinema industry can survive until Christmas at this point. Even with mass layoffs, which are inevitable now, the business is not sustainable. You can't run a business based on 8% of your previous income.

We need a few big releases to draw whatever business is in this climate, but the studios don't want to lose money on their films and apparently no one except Nolan is pointing out that unless you release films there will be no industry to release your films into.

With the amount of releases backed up now to this will also cripple production. If you've got six £200 million films you are going to tank on in the can why make another? The whole industry will collapse unless someone takes the hit on a film. 

I feel for you and I really hope the cinemas can survive. We’ve just had a new Everyman opened near us and it’s brilliant, I just really hope for their sake they can survive until some normality returns. 

I’m not sure what the studios’ plans are here? If they keep delaying films into next year then surely a lot of cinemas will have shut down by then, and if the studios are relying on cinema revenue to pay for the films they’ve already made that’s not going to happen if they’re all closed. 

For me this brings up another question that’s kind of related to the High Street in general. If all the cinemas do close down, then who is going to pick up what are large bespoke spaces for anything else. They’d surely just sit there empty to rot? Wouldn’t it be a sensible idea for a combination of studios, distributors and government to come up with a plan to support those who work in the cinemas, and keep the facilities in ‘care and maintenance’ so that when things are less bad, they’re ready to spring back into action. The demand will still be there, and even moreso after this year. Far better that than start from scratch again. 

I don’t understand the economics of it, but maybe the studios could push out what they’ve got to VOD, and cinemas in countries that are open. That way they are still getting some money in, and then they could keep the production pipeline open to work on future films so the whole industry doesn’t grind to a halt. 

I'm sure there are lots of other sectors that need help too, but if you look at football as an example, they have at least come up with a plan to keep things going and make games available on TV. It’s not perfect but could you imagine what would happen if all the leagues just stopped for a year?

It does seem strange from the studios' point of view. 

We're going to delay our movie because we want to make a lot of money by having a cinema release. But because we're delaying our movie we're greatly increasing the amount of cinemas which may close which will make us less money for our cinema release, not just for this film we've delayed but every other film we're planning to release in the future. 

As with many other things, I guess it’s just not an industry that has ever considered there being a break in their ability to earn revenue. Nobody has a plan for everything being closed for a year, and now it’s all collapsing nobody wants to take a hit on anything when they might not have to. It’s increasingly looking like everyone is going to lose because of that.