rllmuk
Goose

No Time To Die: Bond 25 - Release pushed back to Nov 2020

Better than Sam Smith and Madonna, but that is faint praise indeed.

It's quite a nice song, but a bit dull for Bond. I like Eilish too, so I have nothing against her but if that's the tone of the film, I'm already out. The last 3 Bond films were borefests. I can already picture the opening title sequence to go along with this track. Lots of silhouetted animations of Bond falling and pushing through doors and the camera following a slow moving bullet.

• Upvote 1

To be fair that is the opening title sequence for most Bond films.  

Even more so now it’s considered too woke to have silhouetted near naked models honing their gymnastic skills on the barrel of a revolver.:blah:

• Upvote 2

It’s very similar to the Sam Smith one, but actually good. I can imagine the visuals to going along with it well.

The Quantum of Solace theme is underrated IMO, much like the film.

Unfortunately it sums up Craig’s tenure as Bond. Boring, ends up going nowhere at a crawling pace and totally forgettable. It’s funny how the majority of the classic Bond songs are just over 3 minutes long (Goldfinger is under 3 minutes), yet they pack in more message and punch than this 4 minute plus bore fest. Again, kind of sums up Craig’s Bond films unfortunately. 

It reminds me of the story when Paul McCartney played Live and Let Die To Cubby Broccoli and he said “that’s a great demo, now go and record it properly” and McCartney replies “er, that’s the final cut”.

I don’t get the impression Barbara Broccoli or Michael G Wilson are doing nowhere near the level of quality control Cubby did, the past few songs have literally felt like they’ve gone “never mind the song look at WHO’S singing it, doesn’t it make Bond relevant for younger people????”

• Upvote 4

I read all the negative responses in here, so my expectations were lowered and it still managed to be worse than I was prepared for.  Another Way to Die and You Know My Name are the only two themes out of the Craig era, which also contains two of the worst Bond themes ever in the Sam Smith one and this dirge.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

the past few songs have literally felt like they’ve gone “never mind the song look at WHO’S singing it, doesn’t it make Bond relevant for younger people????”

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there.

I was quite hoping when they chose Eilis that they'd get something fresh but instead they...got a Bond song. Which is fine, I suppose.

That four-note motif that it's built around is as dull as shit though. And the harmony that backs it up is just obvious and lame. If you're going to build a song around something so simple it's got ti be interesting and have some variation somewhere. This really doesn't.

Reminds me of Tina Turner's Goldeneye, only a little more lifeless.

I thought Eilis would add life to Bond, but they added dullness to her. A shame.

11 hours ago, Nick R said:

And then right at the very end they say, "oh, remember this is a James Bond song?" so they add in THE CHORD. It's quite funny how abruptly that out-of-place guitar strum comes in!

OK I just remembered Johnny Marr probably played this, therefore I'd like to change my opinion, I love that ending now.

11 hours ago, Nick R said:

The murky, inarticulate vocals..... was to be expected, given what I've heard of Eilish's other music, and isn't inherently a bad thing (I listened to her album a few days ago and quite liked it).

Woah there, she often sings quietly but extremely clearly and enunciates perfectly. I don't think I've heard a pop star with such clear enunciation since Nat King Cole.

I do think the music is quite murky and dark, but that's on Zimmer (or whichever of his many hired hands actually did the writing)

Well, I like it. Which is weird because it does sound fairly similar to the Sam Smith one from Spectre and I absolutely detest that song.

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Woah there, she often sings quietly but extremely clearly and enunciates perfectly. I don't think I've heard a pop star with such clear enunciation since Nat King Cole.

I do think the music is quite murky and dark, but that's on Zimmer (or whichever of his many hired hands actually did the writing)

Agreed, "murky and inarticulate" was a poor choice of words. I was trying to think of words to describe her quiet, breathy singing (are those some ASMR mouth noises I hear? :P), in contrast to the belting of those other Bond singers.

• Upvote 1

Haven't moss recent Bond songs resulted in a distinct downturn for the artist involved?

Only exception I can think of is Adele.

I guess it fits mood of the last couple of films in that it’s very po-faced. I was hoping they’d go out with a bang in Craig’s last film. 

Sounds like all those supermarket Christmas ads with the breathy female vocals.

7 hours ago, marsh said:

Haven't moss recent Bond songs resulted in a distinct downturn for the artist involved?

Only exception I can think of is Adele.

When I heard Jack White was doing a Bond theme I thought it was a massive internet joke. The joke was clearly on me. Is he still going?

3 hours ago, Jammy said:

I guess it fits mood of the last couple of films in that it’s very po-faced. I was hoping they’d go out with a bang in Craig’s last film. 

Sounds like all those supermarket Christmas ads with the breathy female vocals.

I'm the blllllaaaaaannnndd guy...

...d'oh.

15 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

That’s a good theme.

Boomers just want them all to be Shirley Bassey

It is definitely a great theme for a Bond film starring Daniel Craig.

Spot on...

On 14/02/2020 at 00:31, Nick R said:

And then right at the very end they say, "oh, remember this is a James Bond song?" so they add in THE CHORD. It's quite funny how abruptly that out-of-place guitar strum comes in!

Couldn't disagree more. I love this song. I heard it on the radio yesterday (without any context) and about halfway through I was trying to remember which Bond film it was from.  It was only when it ended they explained it's the new song.

The guitar that features heavily throughout the second half is surely Bond enough, and that discordant chord that ends the song is first introduced about 1 minute in.

6 hours ago, John Edward Gammell said:

It was perfectly fine...until the singing started. 

Nothing wrong with her singing, its.not even that bad of a song out of context, its just a bit dull for Bond. I prefer the more up tempo stuff or something with a bit more soul.

9 hours ago, Wizcat said:

Couldn't disagree more. I love this song. I heard it on the radio yesterday (without any context) and about halfway through I was trying to remember which Bond film it was from.  It was only when it ended they explained it's the new song.

The guitar that features heavily throughout the second half is surely Bond enough, and that discordant chord that ends the song is first introduced about 1 minute in.

I really like it, to the point where I’ve just learnt how to play it on piano.

there are a number of subtle callbacks to previous bond themes in the accompaniment, entirely ignoring that final chord, the four note hook can be played with some fun harmonies, the “fool me once” hook in the chorus is lovely, and the low bridge into the first chorus is also quite nice.

it’s no “you know my name”, but what is?

(it’s also somewhat hampered by being a 75bpm movie title sequence song - it doesn’t have long enough to contain the huge variation that some of you seem to want)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Wizcat said:

It's good because it's undiscernable?

16 minutes ago, Festoon said:

It's good because it's undiscernable?

No, it's good because it fits the remit of being identifiable as a Bond song.  It's something all the classic Bond songs have done well since Dr No established the classic Bond theme.  View to a Kill has the orchestral stabs from it, as does Goldeneye.  Adelle's take has the orchestral swells.  This take has the twangy guitar. 

It would be trivially easy for these musicians to just make an original theme. It's harder to make it feel like a Bond song whilst still bringing something new to the table.  I think this fits the bill perfectly

1 minute ago, Wizcat said:

No, it's good because it fits the remit of being identifiable as a Bond song.  It's something all the classic Bond songs have done well since Dr No established the classic Bond theme.  View to a Kill has the orchestral stabs from it, as does Goldeneye.  Adelle's take has the orchestral swells.  This take has the twangy guitar. 

It would be trivially easy for these musicians to just make an original theme. It's harder to make it feel like a Bond song whilst still bringing something new to the table.  I think this fits the bill perfectly

Fair enough. I think it's trying to style itself to the point of vanilla anonymity. It really feels like the Sam Smith song again. 

Like the films themselves, endless remixes of the same few elements since the '90s. It all feels like I've seen/heard it before. Then again, Im not a huge Bond fan.

The Bond producers are always angling for an Oscar by the sounds of it.  They were going to use Radiohead's Man of War on Spectre until they realised it wasn't an original track so ineligible.  They then rejected Spectre for reasons best know to themselves, because it's a cracking track.  Probably because having more than one thing about the film that wasn't total bobbins was probably too much for them, and they already had Roger Deakins awesome cinematography.

Deakins didn't work on Spectre. He was off doing other, better shit. Spectre is an awesome track though, and I'm really glad it's nothing to do with the pile of shite film they put out. 

10 hours ago, Mugman said:

Deakins didn't work on Spectre. He was off doing other, better shit. Spectre is an awesome track though, and I'm really glad it's nothing to do with the pile of shite film they put out. 

I realise that I've totally mixed up Spektre and Skyfall as the only bits I remember between the two films are some nice shots with a video wall backdrop and a moody Scottish house. :lol: