IGNORED

Indiana Jones Trilogy

Protocol Penguin

Oh yeah, hadn't seen these films before, so the other night I watched them with my girlfriend, who hadn't seen them either. You know, the trilogy of the three Indiana Jones films, of which there isn't a fourth.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was good! Sort of dated, sort of timeless at the same time. Classic, that's the word. Some great cinematography, an info dump scene early on that worked in the circumstances, the classic combination of Nazis and a snivelling French as the bad guys, really nothing to dislike here at all. Had a feel of the early Star Wars films (understandably), but in the positive sense of the term. If I'd paid money to see this as a new film, I'd have felt it worth the money, and it did have some genuinely memorable scenes.

Temple of Doom. Oh man, this was not good. Had the air of a trashy '80s VHS film, but with a bigger budget, and on Blu-ray rather than VHS. Found the female lead constantly screaming tp basically ruin the film on its own. Harrison Ford basically phones in his performance too, even by his standards. It also feels awkwardly dated in how it relies on the viewer's quasi-racist horror of the foreign and third-worldly, like an embarrassing racist uncle. Turned the film after the banquet scene, we just couldn't bare to watch any more. One of the most disappointing sequels I've ever seen, honestly.

Probably might watch Last Crusade tonight, but Temple of Doom didn't fill me with much confidence. And Last Crusade has Sean Connery in it, who is usually terrible in everything, so really not sure. (At least if it is bad, there's no fourth film in the series to have to sit through.)

48 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Probably might watch Last Crusade tonight, but Temple of Doom didn't feel me with much confidence. And Last Crusade has Sean Connery in it, who is usually terrible in everything, so really not sure. (At least if it is bad, there's no fourth film in the series to have to sit through.)

Last Crusade is *much* better than Temple of Doom.

If you stopped watching Temple of Doom at the banquet scene, you basically didn't watch the movie and are not qualified to pass judgment. Most of the iconic stuff comes after that.

I agree about the screaming, but the whole style of the movie depends on it being a bit racist (in the terms you defined it by) and its hardly a massive crime. It reflects the world as it was at a certain time.

If you take that position then one day Tin Tin is going to be banned literature.

Shia, the twat, was surprisingly inoffensive to me. I loved the 50's sci-fi motif, and the fridge thing was 100% in keeping with the spirit of the franchise. But Karen Allen seemed to be high as balls in every scene and John Hurt had nothing to do. The CGI is my biggest complaint, and it's baffling because it's Spielberg and you know he knows better. I get the feeling it was the hand of George Lucas at play and Steven couldn't tell his friend the honest truth, ala

For the first movie they searched extensively for a mountain with the profile of the Paramount logo. It wasn't a shot that was necessary to tell the story, but they spent the man hours and got it done. I remember seeing the documentary where they talked about that and being really impressed. Then Crystal Skull opens with a cartoon gopher.

I don't hate Crystal Skull, it just should have been so much better. I look forward to the next one though, cause Raider's is objectively the best movie ever made and I want a last hurrah everyone can agree is amazing.

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

If you stopped watching Temple of Doom at the banquet scene, you basically didn't watch the movie and are not qualified to pass judgment. Most of the iconic stuff comes after that.

I agree about the screaming, but the whole style of the movie depends on it being a bit racist (in the terms you defined it by) and its hardly a massive crime. It reflects the world as it was at a certain time.

If you take that position then one day Tin Tin is going to be banned literature.

Oh, I don't think it was full-on racist, just... Crass, really. I mean, there was a bit of cultural disorientation going on in Raiders, but the film didn't push it so crudely in the audience's face. Was more of a point I didn't like about the film (from what I saw of it) rather than the sole reason I switched off. You've got to accept that films of a certain age might not match current day sensibilities, but it all seemed a bit off even for a mid '80s film.

Maybe I'll give the film another watch at some other point, but honestly what I saw so far did my head in, and I couldn't face another 70 minutes of it.

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

Temple of Doom second half is excellent with some brilliant set pieces.  Once the action starts, it's pretty relentless right to the end.

its also a prequel.

A prequel is a sequel. It's just a portmanteau of pre- and sequel.

Temple of doom has a fantastic opening sequence. (Maybe I'm just a cliched old queen with a penchant for a musical number) but I love everything up to the parachute/raft (and plenty beyond it). I've read people rag out Kate Capshaw's character plenty of times but I've always enjoyed her hysterical, prima donna, fish out of water performance (it's interesting to see a complete opposite to Marion from Raiders). I guess there will always be a certain amount of bias that I have to attribute to seeing it as a child but so be it. 

Kingdom of the crystal skull is an oddity. I don't hesitate to classify it as the worst but as Sir Shrew says I can't in good conscience say it's much worse than Temple and there are moments that feel authentically Indy to me (Unquestionably the motorcycle chase through the university campus)

i love Harrison's performance as Indy is Temple Of Doom. Infact I never under why this film gets all the hate from critics. Its a whole lot of fun from beginning to end.

Crystal Skull is shit however. Old Indy + CGI everywhere + Fucking Monkeys.

16 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Some great cinematography, an info dump scene early on that worked in the circumstances, the classic combination of Nazis and a snivelling French as the bad guys, really nothing to dislike here at all.

I think that's a brilliant scene, one of my favourites in the whole series. Raiders is the best, but I've got a lot of love for Last Crusade too. Temple of Doom has moments of greatness but I've always hated the whole 'Bad Indy' scene. And Kate Capshaw ruins almost any scene she's in. Even to this day, if I mention that film to my mom, she says 'Is that the one with blonde woman screaming all the time'? 

But the trilogy is still fantastically entertaining. I might need to go back and watch Crystal Skulls because I found it a huge, huge disappointment. I was probably looking forward to that more than any other new film of its ilk (Force Awakens etc). 

Finally seeing Raiders on the big screen last year was one of the best cinematic experiences ever.

You never need to go back and watch the Crystal Skull.  It really is that bad.

The key problem I have with it (among everything else already mentioned) is the MacGuffin.  In the first three, the thing Indy has been chasing has incredible powers but has been hidden away for very good reason.  When you try to use it Really Bad Things Happen.  Indy overcomes incredible odds to learn that some things are not to be messed with.

With the Crystal Skull, the worst that happens is some statues get to go home. 

On 5/20/2016 at 4:15 PM, Darren said:

Temple of Doom is definitely the weak link in the original trilogy chain. In that sense Indiana Jones is basically the inverse of Star Wars.

Hide contents

It's like poetry, it rhymes. [/Lucas]

1) Prequel is worse than the original

2) Fourth film is the worst in the series (yes, TPM is worse than AOTC)

3) First film was later renamed to fit in with the rest of the series ("Episode IV", "Indiana Jones and...")

4) Sequel made decades later involves Harrison Ford's son

5) Both have pretty big plot holes ("How did Indy stay on the submarine?"/"How do the timelines of Luke's training and the others' asteroid field adventure match up?") that no-one noticed until they'd seen the film several times

It's exactly like Star Wars!

• 5 years later...

Plenty of time to myself isolating so a run through the Indiana Jones movies is in order. 

Raiders is obviously brilliant. 

Currently on Temple and it's a mixed bag, it was the first Indy film I saw as a kid and have a lot of fond memories attached to it. 

Willie and Short Round are quite annoying side kicks after how tough Marion was in Raiders. 

Very enjoyable film nonetheless.