IGNORED

January 2017 transfer window

Plissken

I just cannot see how one man (with the obvious exceptions of Messi or Ronaldo) is worth 100 million. I don't know a huge amount about Pogba, so is he really in that class? And on top of that, imagine if he did sign for MU, and he was sent on during a rainy Tuesday at Stoke. Pulis would immediately have one of his thugs smash him all over the park, take a few yellow cards, and just kick him up a height. Imagine being Mourinho, or Woodward, watching Stoke attempting to break his leg for an hour before you dragged him back off, after a call from your insurers watching it on Sky.

The whole thing is bonkers. One man. 100 million. If Stoke don't get him then Cattermole will have a good go, or one of the other countless premiership lunatics. No wonder Ronaldo left for Spain...why play here where every team smashes you every week (which is what was happening to him by the end), when you could (relatively) relax in Spain or Italy. Would anyone really enjoy watching their prize asset run the gauntlet of getting hacked to bits over here?

12 minutes ago, The Fox said:

If Higuaín goes for £75m then I guess Pogba is worth £100m. It's the new market.

Pulis doesn't manage Stoke.

Pulis left Stoke 3 years ago now as well.

Stoke have Shaqiri, Bojan and Arnautovic and play some decent football nowadays. You get some good games on rainy Tuesdays in Stoke.

27 minutes ago, The Fox said:

If Higuaín goes for £75m then I guess Pogba is worth £100m. It's the new market.

Pulis doesn't manage Stoke.

:wacko: of course he doesn't, I'm mixing my footy metaphors (Pulis's thugs and wet Tuesday at Stoke).

I just can't see the sense in 100 million for someone to play in the prem where they're going to get basically assaulted.

56 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Lol, assaulted!

Have you seen some of the tackles and so called defending in La Liga?  The Premier league ain't Sunday football you know! 

Ah but it gets more of a free pass over here. Yes, assaulted, if some of the (often unpunished) fouling of the english game happened outside of a sporting setting, they would be classed as assault.

Fucking hell, when did angel last watch a game 1971.You can't breath near a premier league player without picking up a booking, never mind going though him early on to let him know you're there these days.

The price for players now is absurd, but that was always going to happen when the new TV money started to hit the clubs.

9 hours ago, angel said:

I just cannot see how one man (with the obvious exceptions of Messi or Ronaldo) is worth 100 million. I don't know a huge amount about Pogba, so is he really in that class? And on top of that, imagine if he did sign for MU, and he was sent on during a rainy Tuesday at Stoke. Pulis would immediately have one of his thugs smash him all over the park, take a few yellow cards, and just kick him up a height. Imagine being Mourinho, or Woodward, watching Stoke attempting to break his leg for an hour before you dragged him back off, after a call from your insurers watching it on Sky.

The whole thing is bonkers. One man. 100 million. If Stoke don't get him then Cattermole will have a good go, or one of the other countless premiership lunatics. No wonder Ronaldo left for Spain...why play here where every team smashes you every week (which is what was happening to him by the end), when you could (relatively) relax in Spain or Italy. Would anyone really enjoy watching their prize asset run the gauntlet of getting hacked to bits over here?

Poor little Pogba, being about the same size as Giroud will really make him a target for the five inches shorter Cattermole.

Anyone who trains every day against Chiellini can cope with Cattermole a thousand times over.

If the Pogba transfer does happen, I'd be tempted to applaud Juve for the way they've managed to milk every penny out of the deal, making the price creep up and up, and then dropping the huge agent fee on United at the last minute. I would be tempted to applaud them, except they've just paid £75m for Higuain, which in many ways is a more mental fee than £110m for Pogba.

According to Mina Rzouki buying Higuain doesn't mean they'll sell Pogba. It's as much to do with attaining a top striker as it is a statement by Juventus that they want to be seen across the world as at the same level as Real Madrid/Barcelona/Bayern Munich in terms of their global brand and standing. I guess that's why they're so eager to win the Champions League, as is Man City. 

I wonder if Higuain can replicate what Di Natale did by getter better in his thirties. 

Ivan Gazidis coming out recently saying Arsenal can't compete in the transfer market..

They are supposedly the eighth richest club in the world with 300m in the bank, Have Champions league football and are a part of the biggest TV deal in Premier League history. 

Their ticket prices are some of the highest in the league and they get a reported 28m a year for their kit deal plus over 2 million shirts sold worldwide for the 15/16 season.

Is everyone on the board saving up for a yacht? Where is all of the money going?

They can compete, and I defy anyone to claim they can't. They just choose not to. That's a perfectly valid choice of course, but they have to be honest and say it is a choice. Burnley (I know, different end of the scale) do the same thing. They've come into the same Premier League money that Middlesbrough have, yet they've set their limits and won't go beyond them to ensure the financial security of the club. I've read that Burnley's wage cap is £20k this season. Middlesbrough's is £60k. I'm sure both teams could increase that if they wanted to, but they've made a choice that they think will help meet all of their aims (survival, financially and in the league). Arsenal's aims are different of course (top 4, challenge for the title (probably)) but they've set a limit on what they think they can realistically spend to achieve that aim without putting other targets in jeopardy. Arsenal I think focus more on value for money, which I admire hugely. It's difficult to compete in today's market when that's your mantra, but again, only because they choose not to.

All that said, I have zero sympathy for anyone at the club crying about it. 

Arsenal have been bloody stupid, clinging on to a mattress full of money while the transfer market explodes out of control. A couple of seasons ago, the money they had could have bought a host of world-class players. Now, including wages, it would get them a couple of big names. The longer they hold on to it, the less value for money they will get.

Remember when Man Utd paid £60m for Angel Di Maria, and we all thought that was a crazy amount of money? Now they're going to spend almost twice that on a player. Remember when our minds were boggled by Martial costing £36m for an unproven talent? How much would a similar player cost now? Higuain, a 29-year-old who has had a good but quite patchy career, just went for £75m! Arsenal reportedly dithered their way out of buying him for around £32m in 2013.

I think Fox pointed this out a few days ago - essentially in football these days, the longer you hold on to money, the less it's worth. Conversely, if they had spent it on a few players, they could have probably sold those players and made a profit, so if money is all they're interested in, they're doing that the wrong way too. He who hesitates is lost, and Arsenal have been doing a lot of hesitating in recent transfer windows.

Having said all that, it looks like they might be about to land Mahrez for under £40m, which is a very good price by today's standards. I wonder if they've strengthened enough, with Man City, United, and Chelsea all looking stronger on paper. They need players in a few positions if you ask me.

15 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Almen Abdi to Wednesday. Can see them winning the league this year.

Bit sad he's going, really classy player and a nice guy too. Down to the last few 2012 Pozzo OGs now! 

Pudil too, who I'm not sure ever did much for Watford but was really good for us last season. I'm incredibly happy with our transfer action, it has to be said. We haven't got a chance of winning the league, mind. We should make a promotion push though.

46 minutes ago, Rev said:

Pudil too, who I'm not sure ever did much for Watford but was really good for us last season. I'm incredibly happy with our transfer action, it has to be said. We haven't got a chance of winning the league, mind. We should make a promotion push though.

Yeah Pudil was decent in the cavalier Zola teams but once Sannino and Jokanovic brought in their more pragmatic styles he didn't have a chance. Still a really good championship defender though.

Fingers crossed for you guys anyway, quite a collection of ex-Hornets you're building up! 

15 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Yeah Pudil was decent in the cavalier Zola teams but once Sannino and Jokanovic brought in their more pragmatic styles he didn't have a chance. Still a really good championship defender though.

Fingers crossed for you guys anyway, quite a collection of ex-Hornets you're building up! 

I think McGugan will move on before the end of the window, sadly. He's been amazing for us, but he doesn't fit into the approach now. I hope we'll get a fee for him, but I think he'll go either way. Probably to Forest.

EDIT:

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 13.04.24.png

I think they are all lifted from Arsene quotes (Or Zlatan in his own case) which all follow a very similar pattern. "We enquired about [Insert name here] when he was 20p at [Players club from 2006-2013 - name here] but we didn't think he was up to it, of course looking at it now. Ive made a huge mistake."

28 minutes ago, Steely said:

I think they are all lifted from Arsene quotes (Or Zlatan in his own case) which all follow a very similar pattern. "We enquired about [Insert name here] when he was 20p at [Players club from 2006-2013 - name here] but we didn't think he was up to it, of course looking at it now. Ive made a huge mistake."

Yeah, basically. Kompany got pretty close I think, it was when he signed for whoever-he-signed-for in Germany so it was an entirely reasonable time to pick him up. That's the only one that reeeeeeally seems likely to have ended in the same level of success, the rest all were a bit ambitious either due to them being established or being complete rookies.

Ronaldo was genuinely close, in fact I'm pretty sure he was set to join but then Utd gazumped us. Yaya had a trial I think. Most of those others are pretty tenuous; I don't recall us ever being linked with Pique, Pogba, Varane, Drogba and Suarez.

Surely Mata should be on there; it was rumoured he'd even been photographed in the kit before Chelsea came in with a better financial package at the last minute (are you seeing a theme develop here?)

As for Arsenal's current squad, we're very strong in midfield but weak everywhere else really. Mertesacker is out until the new year so we probably need a centre back and at least one forward.

36 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Ronaldo was genuinely close, in fact I'm pretty sure he was set to join but then Utd gazumped us. Yaya had a trial I think. Most of those others are pretty tenuous; I don't recall us ever being linked with Pique, Pogba, Varane, Drogba and Suarez.

£40,000,001