Features

• Altered Beast - The Last Guardian stuff
  • Rare In Deed - A look at Playtonic and Yooka-Laylee
  • An Audience With... - Mike Wilson
  • The Making of - This War of Mine
  • Studio Profile: Edge Case Games
  • Time Extend: TES IV: Oblivion

2 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I couldn't watch that trailer for Stephen's sausage roll with any sound but it's like a 3D version of Burger Time (but with hot dogs) made in Minecraft?

Sounds like GOTY 2016.

6 minutes ago, dood said:

Hey, psone awful 3d is the new retro pixel art!

It's inevitable though isn't it? New coders are going to be looking back to their youth for inspiration, which will soon be PlayStation and onwards.

I mean, I love my Xbox One but it's terrifying to think that when I'm dead and gone that's potentially going to be seen as quaint and retro.

3 minutes ago, strider said:

It's inevitable though isn't it? New coders are going to be looking back to their youth for inspiration, which will soon be PlayStation and onwards.

I mean, I love my Xbox One but it's terrifying to think that when I'm dead and gone that's potentially going to be seen as quaint and retro.

Don't say you're going to die in 20 years strider, surely there's a bit more life in you left yet!

(or if you genuinely have some sort of illness and this is inevitable, apologies for being the proverbial 'insensitive prick')

18 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Don't say you're going to die in 20 years strider, surely there's a bit more life in you left yet!

(or if you genuinely have some sort of illness and this is inevitable, apologies for being the proverbial 'insensitive prick')

Hah. No debilitating diseases that I know of, but as I'm 42 I'm now less likely to see my next 40 years.

21 minutes ago, _Pow_ said:

all of 2018's indie games looking like Bruce Willis's Apocalypse would make me so happy

God i loved that game. It was the first 3D action game I ever played. Was totally blown away by it... still remember it fondly. Probably shouldn't return to it though, haha, keep those rose tinted specs on nice and tight. :)

Oh and as to Edge, well the cover looks wonderful this month, a real work of art.

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

I know people say graphics don't matter but I can't get on board with that.

I became sick and tired of the 'pixel art' / retro graphical style a long time ago.

I put up with it the first time round as that was all the hardware could do back then but this time it has become an affectation too far..

It now annoys me as much as releasing music on cassette.

True. But how can you say it's a 2/10 game without ever playing it? I hate the art style of Overwatch: I think it looks garish and messy. But people like it so I just ignore it and move on.

37 minutes ago, sir_shrew said:

I will not be supporting Stephen's Sausage Rolls in any way, shape or form. It's 23 bloody quid! <_<

Edge have started dealing out these sort of promotional stunt 9's to indie games, but it's almost a different scale to that which they judge big publisher titles, and their own definitions of what their score system means. Nobody reading those scores seriously believes SSR is on the same critical level as the big Naughty Dog release in the same issue. Probably more proof they really should do away with numbers altogether. High difficulty and a lack of tutorials are popular right now, but very easily could and would have justified a lower score, pre-DS.

To be fair, whilst the sausage game is not for me there is probably a whole lot more game in there than is present in Uncharted 4, a game that is boring me to exhaustion, so maybe both are indeed worthy of the same score ? One earned for gameplay, the other earned for its graphics and spectacle?

48 minutes ago, sir_shrew said:

I will not be supporting Stephen's Sausage Rolls in any way, shape or form. It's 23 bloody quid! <_<

Edge have started dealing out these sort of promotional stunt 9's to indie games, but it's almost a different scale to that which they judge big publisher titles, and their own definitions of what their score system means. Nobody reading those scores seriously believes SSR is on the same critical level as the big Naughty Dog release in the same issue. Probably more proof they really should do away with numbers altogether. High difficulty and a lack of tutorials are popular right now, but very easily could and would have justified a lower score, pre-DS.

Why couldn't the person who reviewed it have got as much enjoyment out of it as Uncharted 4? I played and completed Axiom Verge on the Vita this year and it will definitely be on my end of year lists. Probably higher than Uncharted 4.