Edge #294 - The Last Guardian cover feature, scores

Qazimod

And they were probably both reviewed by different people, of course.

I think this is the third month on the bounce I've posted a variant of that.  Reckon with a bit of luck I'll keep it going until the end of the year. 

I've heard nothing but good things about Stephen's Sausage Roll from podcasts and other reviews. It's supposed to be an incredibly well made and clever puzzle game, which is clearly not for me, but Edge are hardly going against the grain here.

Stephen's Sausage Roll is made by Stephen Lavelle who's been releasing games as Increpare for over a decade now.  He's released hundreds of short games on to his website over the years, I used to visit quite regularly to see what he'd been up to.  Most were very quick ideas, sketches of a design concept.  It's only recently he's started releasing commercial (for want of a better term) games, English Country Tune was his last which looked like this:

2293364-english_country_tune_5.jpg

Dont know why he's chosen the look he has for sausage roll, but I doubt it's simply the next nogstalgic look - I think he's older than half the people doing pixel art games.

10 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

If we reviewed Uncharted 4 solely on its qualities as a brilliantly designed puzzle game it would not have got a 9.

I will admit the set-pieces in Stephen's Sausage Roll are disappointing. 

Let's boil it down further to pure game play, nothing else. I bet there's more to simply mashing Triangle to proceed in SSR.

Is Edge giving high scores to indie games really all that different than them giving high scores to handheld titles? Advance Wars is no Halo 2 in terms of grand cinematics but I know which of them deserves a 9/10.

17 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

Stephen's Sausage Roll. The Dark Souls of puzzle games,

Nothing to do with Edge but seeing as you posted a link to a Good Game video just thought I'd say how much I enjoy their stuff.

Their weekly show is good fun, the feature guys are pretty good and Stephanie is quite lovely.

58 minutes ago, Takizawa said:

Nothing to do with Edge but seeing as you posted a link to a Good Game video just thought I'd say how much I enjoy their stuff.

Their weekly show is good fun, the feature guys are pretty good and Stephanie is quite lovely.

You should check out Nichboy on Good Game pocket. In one year its turned from a basic daily news show to a bizarre show that's almost as good as Amiga Power at it's height. It's hard to pick a favourite episode, two highlights being the concept review of a fishing game (played almost in complete silence) or his call to arms after the complaint that reviewing Stick Shift was inappropriate.

13 hours ago, Mike S said:

To be fair, whilst the sausage game is not for me there is probably a whole lot more game in there than is present in Uncharted 4, a game that is boring me to exhaustion, so maybe both are indeed worthy of the same score ? One earned for gameplay, the other earned for its graphics and spectacle?

This is getting silly. You haven't played Stephen's Sausage Roll or read either review. 

18 hours ago, VN1X said:

Battleborn a 5? Fookin' cuuuuunts. :angry:

Whats your Beef?  are you a Battleborn lover! 

Ive never liked how it looks from the first time I saw the announcement of the game. 

Im just a dirty Overwatch whore :lol:   - I reckon that will get an Edge 8.

13 hours ago, Mike S said:

To be fair, whilst the sausage game is not for me there is probably a whole lot more game in there than is present in Uncharted 4, a game that is boring me to exhaustion, so maybe both are indeed worthy of the same score ? One earned for gameplay, the other earned for its graphics and spectacle?

I take it you haven't read the review then. Uncharted is definitely more than graphics and spectacle, great as they are. Its TPS combat is some of the most open, dynamic and plain best out there and so is its storytelling and acting. 

I can understand Sir Shrew's view, I'm also turned off by the 'programmer art'. (And also the difficulty.) I've heard the design is amazing which almost has me tempted. Except it's the sort of thing that would have me tearing my hair out. If I'm avoiding Dark Souls for being the Dark Souls of Dark Souls I'm not going to play the Dark Souls of puzzle games.

It's a bit sad that puzzle games are so undervalued. They tend to age better than almost any other genre and yet the price response is always "screw paying more than a fiver for a puzzle game".

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Is Edge giving high scores to indie games really all that different than them giving high scores to handheld titles? Advance Wars is no Halo 2 in terms of grand cinematics but I know which of them deserves a 9/10.

Advance Wars is the greatest game in human history.

32 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Because he's saying it earned it's 9 because of graphics and spectacle. Just a wild guess. 

45 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I take it you haven't read the review then. Uncharted is definitely more than graphics and spectacle, great as they are. Its TPS combat is some of the most open, dynamic and plain best out there and so is its storytelling and acting. 

I was just offering an opinion as to why totally different games can receive the same score in response to the line from sir shrew that I originally highlighted -  "nobody reading those scores seriously believes SSR is on the same critical level as Uncharted 4". I don't think it's that wild a leap but I am guessing that the Stephens Sausage Roll score is pretty much all down to its gameplay and that, based on that, it can easily achieve the same level of critical adulation as Uncharted 4, or any other game for that matter. That was the point.

Incidentally, my opinion on Uncharted 4 is based on having played it, albeit only as far as Chapter 14 and that may be the limit of my perseverance with it as I just do not enjoy playing it at all so, sorry, for me it's a poor game albeit a very well dressed one. For the record though, I believe that the glorious looks of Uncharted have dragged it's review scores up a few points higher than if it looked like a dog's arse.

1 hour ago, Unofficial Who said:

You should check out Nichboy on Good Game pocket. In one year its turned from a basic daily news show to a bizarre show that's almost as good as Amiga Power at it's height. It's hard to pick a favourite episode, two highlights being the concept review of a fishing game (played almost in complete silence) or his call to arms after the complaint that reviewing Stick Shift was inappropriate.

Yeah I like Nichboy, incredibly funny at times. Been enjoying his Uncharted 4 videos over the last week.

The best part about the flimsy shooting in Uncharted 4 is that it's 90% skippable. The stealth is so simplistic and overpowered that I didn't need to shoot unless the game absolutely forced me to - like in the last big battle of the game. Did have a lot more fun with U4 than any of the previous games because of that, even if running towards three guys looking straight at you before quickly crouching in some high grass still counts as being hidden :lol: It's so silly but in a fun way.

7/10 would play again and the graphics are amazing 

5 hours ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Whats your Beef?  are you a Battleborn lover! 

Ive never liked how it looks from the first time I saw the announcement of the game. 

Im just a dirty Overwatch whore :lol:   - I reckon that will get an Edge 8.

I love both games. It's just a shame that Battleborn isn't getting its due. It's a flawed but incredibly fun fps-moba hybrid which is seemingly is compared to OW even though the only thing they share is that they have a cast of colourful characters. And colours. 

Being ignorant about a game doesn't mean its "an arbitrarily picked indie title" that Edge have  "hyped to fuck". Kerbal Space Program, for example: 9.6/10 PC Gamer, 9/10 IGN, 9/10 Gamespot, 8.5/10 Destructoid, Eurogamer "essential". 

8 minutes ago, sir_shrew said:

Her Story.

Stephen's Sausage Rolls.

Hyper Light Drifter (mixed reviews elsewhere)

Crypt of the Necrodancer

Sunset

Kerbal Space Program

Sailor's Dream

80 Days

Transistor

Stickets

Impossible Road

Dark Souls (jokes!)

Basically just ran my finger down a list of recent 9's and picked out the titles I'd never heard of...

And the metacritic scores for them are?

5 minutes ago, sir_shrew said:

Too high?

Stephen's Sausage Roll aggragate user score is much lower than the critics. 

Nearly every game's user score is much lower than its critic score. Not sure it's a particularly useful metric in this instance.