IGNORED

Edge #294 - The Last Guardian cover feature, scores

Qazimod

22 minutes ago, sir_shrew said:

Too high?

So, what you're saying is that by Edge randomly picking something to hype, what you mean is they're entirely following what the majority of other publications are doing? Got it. A solid and coherent point you've made there.

17 minutes ago, sir_shrew said:

I've argued myself into a corner. Clearly one of the most appealing aspects of reading Edge is their taste in championing unusual titles and indie games. Not all of those game recommendations, as in this case, are never going to be to everyone's taste, but I certainly wouldn't want Edge any other way. Gaming is so diverse nowadays that a simple 1-10 scale isn't sufficient, but then it never has been.

May I recommend http://www.bluekeycard.com which marks in percentages, to two decimal places? The ideal scoring system for handling the diversity of gaming these days.

Diversity comes at us and we rate it. To two decimal places. BOOM.

1 hour ago, sir_shrew said:

Her Story.

Stephen's Sausage Rolls.

Hyper Light Drifter (mixed reviews elsewhere)

Crypt of the Necrodancer

Sunset

Kerbal Space Program

Sailor's Dream

80 Days

Transistor

Stickets

Impossible Road

Dark Souls (jokes!)

Basically just ran my finger down a list of recent 9's and picked out the titles I'd never heard of...

There's some stuff on there that I've not heard of either but going of the stuff I have heard of I doubt they've been "arbitrarily hyped".

Her Story is an FMV game released in 2015, newsworthy by itself, but by all accounts (haven't played it myself) it's a well acted, well written and non-linear FMV game which is something of a minor miracle.

Stephens Sausage Roll is the first big release by a developer with a long history of highly acclaimed indie puzzle games.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is a high production value pixel art roguelike released at a time when pixel art and roguelikes are both hyper fashionable so... not suprising people have picked up on it.

Hyper Light Drifter has been in gaming news for the past few years following a runaway kickstarter that brought in half a million dollars, 10 times what it was asking for.

Sunset was a make or break game by a long running studio with a history of releasing controversial games. Newsworthy. Also, it might have got an Edge 9 but it got very mixed responses from the rest of the media for technical and writing issues, so hardly the gaming industry as a whole arbitrarily hyping it up.

Kerbal Space Program has been in early access for years building up a huge following and is unlike any other game around.

Transistor was the spiritual follow up to Bastion, which was a massive hit.

Finally the implication that Stephen's Sausage Roll doesn't deserve the Edge 9 is ridiculous since reviews are objective. It deserves the 9 as much as it deserves your 2 or my blank stare at the youtube trailer.

22 minutes ago, sir_shrew said:

I'm not entirely serious, man.

This is a hobby where #gamergate is a thing, and yet me writing off a sausage-turning puzzle game is what strikes you as the most close-minded aspect of gaming?

It's all gate keeping though isn't it?

Your frothing disbelief at Edge giving a 9 to Stephen's Sausage Roll. Your assertion that the gaming press are for some inexplicable reason picking out games to champion at random that don't deserve it. What are you getting at, that games like Her Story and Stephen's Sausage Roll shouldn't be covered by Edge? Or that there should be a glass ceiling on the scores they can get?

13 minutes ago, sir_shrew said:

I'm not getting at either of those things.

21 hours ago, sir_shrew said:

LOL YEAH! It's not like the press would arbitrarily pick on an indie title and hype it to fuck!

21 hours ago, sir_shrew said:

When Edge deal a 9 to this sort of indie game, it's almost a different scale to that which they judge big publisher titles, and their own definitions of what their score system means. Even within their respective genres, nobody reading those scores seriously believes SSR is on the same critical level as Uncharted 4.

1 hour ago, sir_shrew said:

Basically just ran my finger down a list of recent 9's and picked out the titles I'd never heard of...

It just really, really looks like that's what you're getting at.

12 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The best part about the flimsy shooting in Uncharted 4 is that it's 90% skippable. The stealth is so simplistic and overpowered that I didn't need to shoot unless the game absolutely forced me to - like in the last big battle of the game. Did have a lot more fun with U4 than any of the previous games because of that, even if running towards three guys looking straight at you before quickly crouching in some high grass still counts as being hidden :lol: It's so silly but in a fun way.

7/10 would play again and the graphics are amazing 

What's "flimsy" about it? 

14 hours ago, sir_shrew said:

I'm not getting at either of those things. It's more that whilst Edge written reviews are on point, their scores are generally controversial, and well-known for being tight on popular games. So giving a 9 to a game like SSR just seems a very Edge thing to do and something I found a bit funny. 

I think I get what you're saying. Edge scoring has always been very harsh on games which don't achieve what they set out to do. Bethesda RPGs are often good examples of this. Indie games, almost by their nature, have a more narrow remit, they often achieve their aims rather than pushing things out of the door to meet targets etc. I agree with them. 

10 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Marzipan Travolta, where's your avatar from? Looks very familiar yet I can't quite place it...

Btw you can right click / long press an image in chrome and search it on google these days. May help with similar queries in the future :)

Maybe it's the novelty of looking at paper and not squinting at a glowing rectangle but I'm really digging the two page spread of Pyre concept art this month. It's like the posters they used to put in Gamesmaster etc.