Graphic Novels - Superman

Recently purchased the Superman Earth One series of graphic novels on the back of having enjoyed Batman v Superman somehow. I blasted through them rather quickly and really enjoyed them, although they are not perfect. Looking for other graphic novels more geared towards adults (ala watchmen) on the subject. Any recommendations?

When it comes to Superman comics, All Star Superman by Grant Morrison is a must read, it is possibly my favourite comic I have ever read.  Birthright is also a really good choice as well, not many people write better superhero comics than Mark Waid.

For Batman there is a myriad of great comics, personally I would skip the obvious choice of The Dark Knight Returns and instead either read Batman The Black Mirror by Scott Synder - whose recent long run on the Batman title is also very good, or dive into the beginning of Grant Morrison's Batman run and read Batman and Son.  The latter can be a little complicated for newcomers to Batman comics but it's well worth it in the long run and once you read that you can carry on and read the rest of the series which spanned over four years and took in around five different tittle including one of DC's infamous Crisis events.

I just finished with the earh one series. by the second book I was used to the new designs and thought the artwork was unbelievable. I was really disappointed to find out they have changed the art person for the third book. but actually. I really liked that third book a whole lot. illustrations and story. really pays off on the characters they had introduced in the first few books. specially the love interest I found to be interesting, unusual, and inspired. really enjoyed that. starting with all star today. thanks for the suggestion chaps. maybe birthright next?

It's been a while since I read most of these, but I remember really enjoying...

Superman:

All-Star Superman

Superman For All Seasons

Red Son (alternative timeline where he crashes, and then is raised, in the former USSR, rather than Smallville)

Kingdom Come (this is really starring a lot of the DC universe characters, but Supes is front and centre)

Batman:

Year One

Long Halloween

Killing Joke

Hush

Birth of the Demon

Dark Knight Returns

concept. does that work? I will pick that one up to. commas were appropriate. :D

4 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Superman: True Brit

where superman lands in south London and becomes an entitled brat living of the tit of the government and snatching mobile phones near Clapham?

5 minutes ago, Oz said:

concept. does that work? I will pick that one up to. commas were appropriate. :D

where superman lands in south London and becomes an entitled brat living of the tit of the government and snatching mobile phones near Clapham?

oh, you've read it?

I am half way through. having lost my dad last year.

Spoiler

I cried for a solid 5-10 minutes with funeral in smallville. hit me like a ton of fucking bricks. ready helped me grief in a way. my wife thought I had gone mad.

it was only at that point that I "got" what the book was getting at. all-star superman is indeed fucking awesome. (prob late to the party) lol

• 3 weeks later...

So fallen into a deep rabbit hole with this. In the past two or three weeks:

superman earth one

all star superman

the dark knight returns and now started

miracleman a dream of flying which is fucking blowing my mind!

where should I take this next?

i should probably be sleeping more.

Superman: Peace on Earth is definitely worth reading. It's basically just an over-sized comic, and it's not exactly cheerful, but Alex Ross Superman is best Superman, art wise.

No idea if it's been reprinted in another format recently, the original ones seem to be out of print now.

• 1 month later...