GTA IV is better than GTA V

DogEyedBoy

I've recently discovered the YouTuber CrowbCat and have been enjoying watching through his videos, he mostly lets the footage do the talking and some of his stuff is very eye-opening.

I spent the entire duration of this video with my jaw on the floor, I find it quite mind-boggling. I love GTA IV, I think it's a masterpiece of game design; I haven't played GTA V.

13 minutes ago, deerokus said:

No, he doesn't let the footage do the talking, lets selective editing do the talking. Seen a few of his videos. In particular his edit of giant Bomb's VR stream was really misleading (to the point where Jeff Gerstmann was annoyed about it).

Wait do you mean Jeff responded to one of his videos or that he portrayed Jeff being annoyed by VR? 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Ah cheers. Was curious to see what he thought about that vid. It's weird that he says it misrepresents their opinions as all VR is doing in that office is collecting dust right now. They don't seem to be particularly fussed about it.

Thinking about "issuing a takedown" is fucking madness though.

He needs to chill on the audio mix - may as well not have the game sound there ;) It's an interesting video, but GTAV's "shortcomings" are worth putting up with just for the addition of mid-mission checkpoints - something that probably would have made GTAIV's later missions much less of a chore.

Watched the first 5 mins. Didn't understand what was 'better' about 4. Other than you could torture civilians for longer before they eventually die? 

Fuck wasting any more time on that. 

The title of the video and the video itself are deliberately provocative, but what it does is really make me wonder. Why was the interactivity, physicality and fidelity pared down to the extent it was? Of course GTA V blows GTA IV away in many ways, but why go backwards on things you've already done? The cop thing I also find strange, I've noticed it in other videos of GTA V I've seen, they are just so aggressive.

The people who don't like GTA IV, are you taking the excellent expansions into account? You'll find they address most complaints ("fun", checkpoints).

Well, I prefer IV as well. I prefer Niko as a character, but I mostly prefer the missions. The ones in V lack any challenge or freedom. IV has its share of scripted stuff, but V takes the cake. There is freedom when you explore the world, which is admittedly beautful, but the way too linear mission design felt really poor to me.

15 minutes ago, DogEyedBoy said:

The title of the video and the video itself are deliberately provocative, but what it does is really make me wonder. Why was the interactivity, physicality and fidelity pared down to the extent it was? Of course GTA V blows GTA IV away in many ways, but why go backwards on things you've already done?

Well, just look at GTA5 and remember that it's running on the same hardware as 4. GTAV looks like a game that shouldn't have been possible on the ancient 360. I'm just guessing of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if the additional interactive /physics effects had to be sacrificed to get it running as well as it does. Maybe I'm way off but I wouldn't be suprised if stuff like that reappears in GTA6 on the current or next gen.

16 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Well, I prefer IV as well. I prefer Niko as a character, but I mostly prefer the missions. The ones in V lack any challenge or freedom. IV has its share of scripted stuff, but V takes the cake. There is freedom when you explore the world, which is admittedly beautful, but the way too linear mission design felt really poor to me.

That surprises me coming from you of all people. I mostly remember Niko controlling like a stranded tanker, the awful shooting mechanics, and it all feeling disappointingly archaic. 

Should we start questioning your otherwise eloquent opinions of the combat in Uncharted 4? ;)

25 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That surprises me coming from you of all people. I mostly remember Niko controlling like a stranded tanker, the awful shooting mechanics, and it all feeling disappointingly archaic. 

Should we start questioning your otherwise eloquent opinions of the combat in Uncharted 4? ;)

Well, the combat in UC4 runs circles around the combat of GTA IV or V. ;)

I'm not really praising the shooting in both games to be fair, they both have archaic controls, especially when compared to the far superior gunplay of Rockstar's Max Payne 3.

But I was mostly talking about mission design. V's missions felt like going though the motions, there was nothing om par with Three Leaf Clover for me, or some of the more open ended mission design of IV. I remember the mission where you had to kill a laywer, which you could accomplish in different ways, or a mission in which I could enter a building and fight my way trough floors of enemies, but which I completed by sniping my target from the street below. Or a mission in a strip club, in which I prevented a chase by blocking the exit with a truck. Not all missions had that kind of open ended design unfortunately, but V felt a step back from that.

I should add that I'm not a big fan of open world games period for those exact reasons, the actual mechanics and mission design often pale when compared to more linear games or the self-contained sandboxes from games like Dishonored or Hitman.

GTA IV is like trying to control a character mid stroke , it's an absolute bollock to play and therfore a complete waste of time. I wanted to like it so much when it came out but ended up playing it through gritted teeth. Car handling was the only thing going for it. The euphoria physics were quite exciting at launch until Niko fell over and took about 3 minutes to stand up while he's being turned into swiss cheese by his enemies.

Arguing about which of GTA IV and V is the best is as worthwhile an endeavour as comparing the relative merits of Troll 2 and Troll 3. Only in this case we're living in some bizarre parallel universe where said point-missing sequels are inexplicably critically lauded and commercially successful.

'tis a strange world we live in.

GTA IV is fucking awful, the only 3D GTA that I have stopped playing and not finished, I've gone back several times and tried to like it, but it's is a futile effort, the game has one redeeming feature, it made V look even better than it already was :P

He even missed a few things that were removed between IV and V that really irked me, namely:

• removing the 'shove' move. I mean, what else was Euphoria invented for if not pushing commuters down subway stairs? Bizarre that you can't do it in V.
  • audible GPS on fancier cars. I lovely touch that would've really aided the HUD-free experience in V is you'd be able to navigate using GPS but without staring at the minimap.
  • being able to get out of the passenger side when exiting a vehicle. I used this tonnes in chases/shootouts so again it's bizarre that it was removed for V.
  • Having the choice to turn the engine off when you exits a vehicle (long-press on Y/triangle). A tiny thing, but it's those little details that aid immersion.

Good video, though. I'd forgotten a bunch of that stuff, like the way cops actually systemically apprehend perps and shove them into the back of the patrol car and the hanging/shimmying. I also had no idea of the extra level of physical detail in the way the, for example, the choppers suffer damage.

Although GTAV finally, after many patches, had on-foot aiming/shooting that was better than IV, the car handling will always be leagues ahead in IV.

8 minutes ago, Pob said:

He even missed a few things that were removed between IV and V that really irked me, namely:

• Having the choice to turn the engine off when you exits a vehicle (long-press on Y/triangle). A tiny thing, but it's those little details that aid immersion.

I believe that's what he was demonstrating at about 8:20 with the lights, sound with the radio playing might have helped get the point across.

8 minutes ago, Pob said:
  • being able to get out of the passenger side when exiting a vehicle. I used this tonnes in chases/shootouts so again it's bizarre that it was removed for V.

So what happens when the driver side door is blocked? In GTA IV you'd just slide across and get out the passenger side.

8 minutes ago, DogEyedBoy said:

I believe that's what he was demonstrating at about 8:20 with the lights, sound with the radio playing might have helped get the point across.

Ah right, I did wonder if that's what he was getting at but it wasn't clear.

8 minutes ago, DogEyedBoy said:

So what happens when the driver side door is blocked? In GTA IV you'd just slide across and get out the passenger side.

I think then you automatically sidle over, but you can't tactically choose which side to exit.

I love both games and they both have good and bad points. There is quite a bit that was taking out between 4 and 5 that does bother me: lesser climbing abilities, picking up and throwing objects, shoving people. These are things I've noticed while playing.

The video posted has shown/reminded me of many other aspects or details that have been changed or removed and it is quite surprising and a bit disappointing. WTF Rockstar? 

I found GTA IV boring. The environment was great but it just wasn't fun to play. GTA V suffered from this too but not nearly so badly.

I much preferred the car chases in GTA 3 with really aggressive police cars tumbling and flying all over the place.