IGNORED

E3 Microsoft - Finished

Robo_1

Conference Poll  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can I actually just ask everyone here directly why this myth that PC gaming is complex still persists? 

Do people still not realise that once you've got things setup, you simply open a game on Steam and plug in an Xbox controller? 

For the most part that's it!

Yes, you have some settings you can adjust but its something you do at the start of playing the game to get the best performance. People make out as if that's some horrific nightmare and I really don't know why. 

4 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

Still odd why they are bring their exclusives to PC as well. I mean it basically gives consumers no reason to buy an xbox one over a reasonably okay PC. Oh and look forward to all MS games now showing PC screen shots and not xbox one.

Potentially opens up Xbox to be a service, let others make the hardware. Or to bolster Win 10 use (but I think they're fighting a losing battle there, people don't generally need complicated PC devices at home).

If you think years and years ahead, how about Xbox reduced to a subscription gaming service, where the machines themselves are just blades in a datacentre.

6 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

It starts already.

Shits gonna be glorious when both new machines launch. :lol:

You're way off the mark.  I have neither console so couldn't give a fig.  As an adult, neither should you I reckon.  

5 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

Still odd why they are bring their exclusives to PC as well. I mean it basically gives consumers no reason to buy an xbox one over a reasonably okay PC. Oh and look forward to all MS games now showing PC screen shots and not xbox one.

They don't make their money on hardware - they make it on software. They want as many devices as possible to deliver software on. They don't give a shit whether you buy their stuff on a xbox or not as long as it is their stuff

5 minutes ago, VN1X said:

think I get this reference? Hm. 

The gears in my brain are hard at work now. 

The Wii was described as a couple of GameCubes duct taped together.

I was implying that Sony would be frantically trying to do the same with Neo components.

Sea of Thieves and We Happy Few both looked absolutely amazing. I was thinking I might buy a Bone when Sea of Thieves came out anyway, was super into the idea of buying a slim throughout the conference (great price). Probably wait until next Christmas though, if there's a super sexy ultra model coming.

The endless "you can play Xbox games on PC" stuff was tiring and dull. 

EA: 4/10

Bethesda: 5/10

Microsoft: 6/10

We're on an upward slope!

4 minutes ago, Graham_S said:

What's the lead time for making one of these? If Sony execs were like "oh shit we need more teraflops" how quickly could they realistically respond?

What's the lead time for a custom GPU? I don't know, but it won't be short. 

3 minutes ago, Graham_S said:

The Wii was described as a couple of GameCubes duct taped together.

I was implying that Sony would be frantically trying to do the same with Neo components.

Whooo! That was what I was thinking. How many internet points do I get? 

7 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

If reasonably priced PC's are a more attractive proposition then why have the Steam boxes collectively sold under 500k in the first year of release?

4 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Do you guys care about 4K gaming or would you say 1080p is plenty?

It's a non-issue to me. Proper high-end (as in high settings) 4K gaming on PCs is a very expensive area right now. 

5 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Potentially opens up Xbox to be a service, let others make the hardware. Or to bolster Win 10 use (but I think they're fighting a losing battle there, people don't generally need complicated PC devices at home).

If you think years and years ahead, how about Xbox reduced to a subscription gaming service, where the machines themselves are just blades in a datacentre.

That's an exit strategy not a goal.

4 minutes ago, Punished Smitty said:

Can I actually just ask everyone here directly why this myth that PC gaming is complex still persists? 

Do people still not realise that once you've got things setup, you simply open a game on Steam and plug in an Xbox controller? 

For the most part that's it!

Yes, you have some settings you can adjust but its something you do at the start of playing the game to get the best performance. People make out as if that's some horrific nightmare and I really don't know why. 

The era of endless tweaking shit to get a PC game running have largely disappeared. Steam, as you said, has made things easy. Also moderate PC's game outperform current console games at 1080p. You no longer have to spend a shitload for a better than console PC.  

4 minutes ago, Revival said:

If reasonably priced PC's are a more attractive proposition then why have the Steam boxes collectively sold under 500k in the first year of release?

Because Steam boxes are mid range PC's crammed into a small case running Linux.

4 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

The era of endless tweaking shit to get a PC game running have largely disappeared. Steam, as you said, has made things easy. Also moderate PC's game outperform current console games at 1080p. You no longer have to spend a shitload for a better than console PC.  

None of which matters if you don't want a PC, like an awful lot of people. Why is it so hard for so many people to understand?

6 minutes ago, Graham_S said:

What's the lead time for making one of these? If Sony execs were like "oh shit we need more teraflops" how quickly could they realistically respond?

Depends how far away they're launching. 

Both Microsoft and Sony get their chipsets for GPU/CPU from AMD. AMD recently revealed their 14nm budget GPU for 199 dollars which is approx 5.5 TF. If you had a higher clocked custom version of that, it could reach 6TF easily enough. The chipset exists for Sony to bump up to  - AMD would gladly take more money from Sony if it is feasible for their devs to adjust and I don't see why it would be just to get more raw power in the GPU as the architecture will still be exactly the same. 

6 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

Because wherever you buy these games you'll be paying them.  Windows 10 or Xbox. It's all MS.

I also suspect that this is in prep for Scorpio next year. If all these games are forwards compatible, I'll bet they'll 'upgrade' themselves to the PC version visuals or higher. When you start playing on the Scorpio.

4 minutes ago, Revival said:

Steam boxes were not reasonably priced. Build your own PC's are way cheaper. 400 quid and you can have a PC that will beat current consoles and even project scorpio. Obviously there is the added cost of a monitor if you want it. 

I'm really excited to see Project Scorpio announced, people have been asking for powerful consoles for years and MS look like they are going to deliver, I don't think it's gonna be as cheap as the console prices we're used to though :)