IGNORED

Alien: Covenant - 2017 - Ridley Scott

Goose

Well that was thoroughly disappointing. Very much a Prometheus sequel, and as good as Fassbender is I felt that all his scenes pretty much ground the film to a halt. There are some good moments, but the pacing is all over the place, a cast of characters you never get to know, and the most telegraphed plot twist in cinema history.

Fuck, think I even preferred Prometheus! 

I guess The Martian really was a one off for late period Ridley Scott. Thank Christ he's not directing Blade Runner 2.

Having kids means that going to the cinema is a rare treat. I had the choice of either this or GOTG 2. I feel I should have gone and seen the latter instead.

it was ok I guess, but things that annoyed me were:

Spoiler

Donald Trump is probably the only person on the planet who couldn't have worked out 'the twist'. The only way it could have been signposted more is if David had looked at the camera and told us he was about to take the other android's place.

for a film whose first episode's strapline was, "in space, no one can hear you scream" EVERYTHING made noise in this part of space and it really really annoyed me.

also, so they made nice robots who don't kill people,and then completely forget about that by the time it comes around to Alien with a psycho nutter before remembering again for Aliens? Naaah 

But it had some decent scares and I didn't hate the plot tbh.

but gtog 2 it should probably have been.

with regards to the twist. You saw the good fass regenerate. Surely the crew would have known that the new super duper androids could do that so she would have wondered why the fuck he was all damaged and not healing?

Spoiler

The way they shot the film, that twist really seemed like something you were supposed to see coming, know had happened, and expect to be revealed, for dramatic irony or something. Basically the first thing you see David do is cut his hair while we're given close-ups of his hand and the camera lingers on the obvious reasons it's him and not Walter the entire rest of the movie.

Made for what I thought was a solid ending though.

Yeah GotG 2 tho.

11 minutes ago, strider said:

Hide contents

with regards to the twist. You saw the good fass regenerate. Surely the crew would have known that the new super duper androids could do that so she would have wondered why the fuck he was all damaged and not healing?

Spoiler

Well and another thing. The ship didn't realise it was an entirely different robot? 

29 minutes ago, The Liberal Elite said:

Hide contents

also, so they made nice robots who don't kill people,and then completely forget about that by the time it comes around to Alien with a psycho nutter before remembering again for Aliens? Naaah 

Ash was planted by the company, was he not? He was programmed to protect the alien, not to be nice. The crew didn't even know he was a robot.

23 minutes ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

The way they shot the film, that twist really seemed like something you were supposed to see coming, know had happened, and expect to be revealed, for dramatic irony or something. Basically the first thing you see David do is cut his hair while we're given close-ups of his hand and the camera lingers on the obvious reasons it's him and not Walter the entire rest of the movie.

Yeah GotG 2 tho.

I also enjoyed the ending. The film doesn't hide it, and I thoroughly expected it to happen, but for a moment I did think: 'oh, maybe not...' ^_^

12 minutes ago, The Liberal Elite said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Well and another thing. The ship didn't realise it was an entirely different robot? 

Spoiler

The ship doesn't seem to be linked to Walter in any way, which I guess is why they communicate through speech and not Bluetooth or whatever. Seemed fine to me.

Haven't seen Prometheus.

That was legitimately shit.

Terrible characters. I could tell you maybe 4-6 names. When everyone's defining characteristic is incompetent and/or stupid it's hard to differeniate or care. The 'last supper' photograph someone looks towards the end wasn't a genuine 'wait who are all those people?' moment rather than a somberinb reflection.

The 'threats' look ridiculous and fake CGI. (Also they grow to full size in about 30 seconds now)

Its badly shot in frantic shakes quick cut action came. I didn't even realise a 5th person had died due bad editing and not even realising we wew missing a character.

I'd rate it below AR and both AvPs - mainly cus of massive disservice to the Alien. It's not a threat on its own - its a threat because incompetent crew and writer created contrivance rather any menace or skill.

26 minutes ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

Yeah GotG 2 tho.

I initially thought they weren't trying to hide it, as it was so bleeding obvious, but it was very much filmed like a big reveal when it happened with dramatic score and camera work. Another example of how the film is all over the place I guess.

Re:Ending

Wtf was with her standing in front of the truck, which seems to have zero ground clearance, magically dodging it and Alan?

Then just happily some how effortlessly holding on during decompression?

Reshoot or something?

This was a lazy bland boring mess of a film that had a pointless story, poor acting, terrible special effects, and almost no new ideas whatsoever. The only good scene was the homoerotic David/Walter music lesson, and even then, because it was so bloody weird. Ridley should be ashamed of himself. If you don't have a cogent script or a single idea in your head than fuck off and do something else with all the millions of pounds and talented people being thrown at you. Arsehole.

Not out here for another week so haven't been yet. Was cautiously optimistic given the reviews popping up, and then the below popped up on Twitter.

Along with a lot of the reactions in here, think I'll be going out of morbid fascination now.

IMG_7410.JPG

I enjoyed this well enough. I just looked up my views on Prometheus from the relevant thread to remind myself what I thought of it before the intervening years of everyone shitting on it, and I was reminded that I quite liked it. The big ideas and bonkers goings-on made it for me and I remember it stayed with me for a few days. The poor writing wasn't enough to ruin it. I'm a sucker for sci-fi though so I can forgive quite a lot in the genre, especially if it's reaching for something profound.

Alien Covenant is more conventional than Prometheus. It doesn't have the illogical characters or non-sequiturs of the first film but it's also missing some of that film's weirdness and big, sci-fi ideas. It's a little more grounded. The characters are better this time - well, they're more workmanlike, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. David and Walter aside, there's no-one really memorable but at least they behave mostly believably this time around. I enjoyed watching them deal with the harsh realities of interstellar travel in the first act. Not as good as Sunshine, but reminiscent.

The first outbreak was brilliant, I thought. Intense and very well filmed. It's somewhat downhill from there, Fassbender aside, and the final act feels tacked on. Unfortunately I spoiled it for myself so I didn't get the full impact of the ending, but I still feel it went out with a whimper rather than a bang.

So, if you like spaceships, alien worlds and stories about creation then it's probably worth a look. I'm glad I saw Prometheus at the cinema and I'm glad I saw this at the cinema. I dunno if I'd be arsed to watch it again, but I certainly enjoyed it while it was on.

If you're worried about it affecting your enjoyment of the original Alien, I'd steer clear. For me, that ship started to leave the port decades ago with Alien 3 and was well out to sea by AVP. But with these prequels, Scott is getting into retcon territory.

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

The opening scene of this is a real clunker. Starts everything off at a real slow pace.

I thought that was one of the better scenes. Nothing wrong with a slow pace. 

Nothing at all wrong with a slow pace when done well. This just felt like a scene that didn't quite make it into Prometheous and ended on the cutting room floor. If you going to start a film with people going "so this life thing, what's it all about", you need to make sure you have damn good writing. This didn't, and it just fell really flat for me.

I'm probably coming off more negative about this than I mean to. It's just that I'm so disappointed. I really expected this one to be better (Lords knows why).

On the plus side.

I really liked both Waterston and Crudup in this. The overall look of the film was fantastic. And as said earlier, the first Alien attack was great. 

But that's about all I got. 

Ironically the best thing about this film is the set up it leaves for the sequel - which begs the question - why not just make that film and surmise this one in a few lines of exposition dialogue. It doesn't deserve to be anything more than that.

Spoiler

It could be something along of the lines of David saying: I sent out a signal from where I crashed and this colony ship heard my call. Now come see my extensive collection of colonist freaks and play the flute with me.

Though with Prometheus then this I refuse to see the next one in the cinema. No more money for Ridley. No more.

That's what the other films will be for. 

Spoiler

Anyone else get the blink and you'll miss it reference to Mass Effect in the necropolis?

Spoiler

Hats covered in circuit patterns?

Just me then?

On 5/12/2017 at 19:16, Zero9X said:

Reveal hidden contents

It also doesn't make much sense in the timelines either. If David created and modified the xenomorphs. How on earth did the original spaceship and engineers with eggs arrive on LV426?

The whole mass genocide David did and hooking up with another ship? How did all that sort of hook into together. All poorly explained or I am missing something completely obvious.

I always wanted to know what the engineers were or how the xenomorphs came about. Some things are just better left unsaid. Prometheus and covenant being prime examples of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.

In alien the space jockey is a fossil. Been there hundreds maybe thousands of years. Covenant is set in 2104, alien is set in 2124. So in 20 years the engineers go back to the planet, grab a ship full of facehuggers, fly to LV 426, crash, then send out a distress call and become fossilled. 

That makes almost no sense AT ALL. LV 426 is 39 light years away from earth (it's actually real - which is another thing that was cool about alien) so everything at this point is just an absolute mess. Unless everyone is darting around faster than light speed becoming fossils. IDK.

It's just so full of shit you can pick at.

Why did David bother with a plaque for Elizabeth? He clearly feels absolutely nothing whatsoever for humanity. The likelihood of anyone ever stumbling across them was remote as fuck. How did he create mini frozen facehuggers? Why bother? It was ridiculous that they were shaped perfectly for the ship's embryo fridge, too. If he wanted to get off-world with eggs, he could have surely found another ship on the planet, went to Earth, and had a fucking great time watching everyone get eaten.