Stranger Things - Season 3 - July 4th 2019

Finished tonight and enjoyed it.  Basically, stick all of the stuff I loved from and about the 80's into an Ariston Cinematic Blender and this is what would pour out.  It wasn't perfect.  I felt it started strong and tailed off a bit by the final third and just because of what it is, it's pretty formulaic.  But whatever.  80's sci-fi action formulas are the best of them all. I'm just really glad they're taking a chance on making things like this now.  Go back a handful of years and it never would have happened. I'm happy to keep my Netflix sub going if it's going towards the likes of this.

• Upvote 4
7 hours ago, Capwn said:

I did it, I watched another episode. Still none of these subversion's I'm hearing about, it's a well made show but it's still not clicking. I might watch another episode though.

It's a loving and knowing homage but I wouldn't say it is subversive in any way, nor does it need to be in order to be great..

So, I finished this yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed, but

Spoiler

Trying to work out how the chief and will's mom were to get back from the upside-down - if destroying the creature didn't shut down the link between worlds, then surely other creatures would come through, but it felt like killing it was meant to sever the connection.  Just felt a little odd that it jumped right to the waking up in hospital scene.

I hope that they don't try and address this sort of thing.  Much better to make S2 unrelated, like a series of SK novellas - maybe the odd nod / allusion to it being one world, but a direct sequel would be tricky.

5 hours ago, Mike S said:

It's a loving and knowing homage but I wouldn't say it is subversive in any way, nor does it need to be in order to be great..

That's true, just a personal thing I guess. I always seem to like high end drama shows that push boundaries, I guess this show is in the way that there is no modern alternative. I watched episode 3 last night, feeling a bit better about the show now. I'm glad they have not introduced new characters for a while, it's allowed the main cast to become more developed. I'm intrigued enough to actually want to watch the next episode now.

On 28/07/2016 at 19:11, Sabreman said:

I know a 24 year-old who had legit never heard of Woody Allen or any of his movies until I told him about them the other day. Not even in passing - he literally had no idea about the man or his work. I do kind of expect it nowadays but it still blew my mind a little.

Blessed is the mind that knows not the work of that hack.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Wroth said:

Netflix have added a new anime to their library today called Elfen Lied, which looks like a complete rip-off of Stranger Things but with added nudity.

Hide contents

:hat:

Aside from the fact that Elfen Lied is complete trash... not sure if serious. :unsure:

I've actually also seen it. Agree with V1NX it's pretty bad, though it does have a couple of similarities.

Spoiler

Girl with psychic powers on the run from shadowy government group that's been experimenting on her all her life. The show also shares a similar opening scene, with an escape sequence involving scientists dying, albeit a lot more than in Stranger Things.

1 hour ago, Mentazm said:

Watched all 8 episodes of this over the last 24 hrs. Fastest I've ever binged a show. Loved it. Don't think there should be a second series unless it's a completely different story.

I'd love to see more adventures with the same gang of characters.

And that's why I agree with you, it's always best to leave people wanting more and leave questions unanswered.