rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - Making Zombies Creepy Again

In non-VR, it's not that scary. VR makes it feel like you're theeeeere. It's amazing.

• Upvote 1

I thought I might be able to get this running at 30fps and 1920x1080 on my i5 750, Radeon 7950 and 6gb of RAM. Nope. Framerate was scarier than the actual game. I'm guessing the CPU is the main problem now? Haven't upgraded it for years.

Got about 2-3 hours in and I'm not sure I can do this in VR. Not remotely nauseous or anything but I just can't handle the suspense. It's not objectively the scariest thing ever but, as Meh mentioned, VR actually puts you in there which, for me at least, makes it so much worse. With films you're scared for the protagonist, it's quite empathic. With VR you shit yourself, you personally feel quite primal fight or flee responses at times and it's more than my delicate constitution can handle. 

tl;dr nope

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, ann coulter said:

I thought I might be able to get this running at 30fps and 1920x1080 on my i5 750, Radeon 7950 and 6gb of RAM. Nope. Framerate was scarier than the actual game. I'm guessing the CPU is the main problem now? Haven't upgraded it for years.

GPU and RAM, I'd say. It's very harsh on lack of VRAM, and even 6GB cards suffer. Not a great port, really.

23 minutes ago, Meh said:

GPU and RAM, I'd say. It's very harsh on lack of VRAM, and even 6GB cards suffer. Not a great port, really.

Well, yeah, I was gonna say - how on earth does it run on PS4 then? By the way, I meant 6gb of RAM in my PC. The GPU only has 3gb which I thought was OK... Maybe not!

It runs wonderfully on PS4 due to the way the game was developed around the machine's unified RAM. You can still monster it with a 1080ti, I guess, but my 980ti was taking a shit when it got to the point where the map opened up somewhat.

Got this last week and finished 2 playthroughs so far (played through on normal first and then a quick run on easy).  I honestly wasn't sure how they would handle doing it in first person but I thought it was terrific.  Non VR playthroughs here and it's still one of my favourite games this year.  Jack was definitely was my favourite character of the game, the voice actor was excellent.  I would have preferred more enemy types but what was there was decent enough.  They gave me some genuine jumpscares which I haven't had a while,  I'm glad I didn't wake anyone up when I squealed at like 3am :lol:

Played through on PC on an i5 2500k/gtx 970 and I thought it was an excellent version tbh.  No real issues apart from the very odd stutter (and I'm pretty certain that's my CPU being old) but that was it, was really smooth otherwise.

Is the DLC worth it at all ?  I know one of the dlc pieces is a survival/mercenaries kinda mode and the rest are basically 'videotapes'.  I enjoyed all of those in the main game though at least.

Started this tonight, played about 90 minutes in VR. Absolutely phenomenal, incredible experience.

• Upvote 2

On 21/07/2017 at 21:46, Black Cat Supremacist said:

Started this tonight, played about 90 minutes in VR. Absolutely phenomenal, incredible experience.

Enjoy... it's still my game experience of the year (in VR).

EDIT - Just realised I'm reply to a post from July.... did you survive? ;)

• Upvote 1

So, I picked this up tonight.

I'm now playing it with lights on and the TV on at the side of my peripheral vision, and I'm still scared as fuck.

This does not bode well in the long term.

However, but god it's a magnificent looking game. The atmosphere is stupendous, and - for some reason I can't fathom I'm absolutely taken with my character's hands. They're really lovely.

The crazy wife of mine looks like the spitting image of the woman in FF: Kingsglaive.

Which is a nice thing.

• Upvote 1

That was a pretty shit trailer to be honest. Didn't make it look exciting, or scary, or show anything new. Even the quote at the end:

"What am I looking at?"

"I don't know, it's something new. Exercise extreme caution"

"It's just another monster". 

Way to undersell the expansion. 

I'm also not excited to see those black things back. I can't even remember what they're called, that's how rubbish they were in the main game. I think once the game became focused on them instead of the creepy family it went massively downhill. 

• Upvote 2

Oh dear... it makes it look like the resident evil 6 version of resident evil 7..... why do they feel the need to revert back???

Yeah but that has an audience, RE has probably become too different for fans of the series to like a single title.

This seems a smart way of handling it, making the DLC support a different gamestyle, I did miss the always available melee.

Man, that looks rough. Imagine what it would have been like without the six month delay. 

His running speed in combination with the over-the-top gun sway animation looks ridiculous. The fov is tiny and the dlc seems to focus on the worst part of the main game (the action-heavy finale at the mine). Really not impressive. 

I think the trailer is simply trying to communicate that this is an action based DLC, sort of 'Hey, this one is different to those other DLCs we released! Honest, look...'

There will still be a few typical RE moments scattered in between. But yeah it's a horrendous trailer, it looks to be exposing them as just reusing a tonne of environment/character assets. If this is true I wouldn't have advised them to make a trailer where they don't show so much of the reused content, if it's not true I would have encouraged to show more of the new environments/characters.

This trailer makes it look like they have made a new set of corridors using the cave assets, filled it with the same old enemies and then thrown in a new boss here and there.  

Just completed this, my first ever Resident Evil game.

Big fan. Big fan of a lot of it. I liked the inventory style, the saving style, the storage box. A fair bit of shooting for someone like me who's shit with the sticks; mostly due to blind panic any time I have to shoot anything!

I would not survive this game in VR. I'd run out of my own front door to get away. 

Game stats tell me just over 10 hours with 4 restarts and 77 :lol: item box openings lol. 

Spoiler

Remote bombs

were my enemies to begin with, as I kept manically examining the blasted things as a

Spoiler

vomiting mould blob

is making its way towards me on some fucking switchback stairs. And sadly I only discovered back+O right near the end....

My favourite part, other than collecting documents that told the story, was probably

Spoiler

the Happy Birthday tape

so if anyone can recommend me any other games with this play style, (I really need to finish the last Monkey Island I was playing), then feel free to share!

Well obviously other Resident Evil games are the best place to start. For the similar gameplay experience (though 3rd person) check out the Resident Evil 1 and Zero remakes, then Resident Evil 2 and Code Veronica. They are all with tight environments, some good scares and great design. Reisdent Evil 4 is also amazing but much more action orientated with less of the ambience and loadsa baddies. When you talk about the playstyle what are the things you like about it? I mean there's tons of FPS games or horror games we could recommend.

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

When you talk about the playstyle what are the things you like about it? I mean there's tons of FPS games or horror games we could recommend.

I mean the mechanics of the 

Spoiler

Happy birthday tape. That sort of puzzle.

But I like the horror/scientific genre, so if there are any games like that then I'd be all over them. 

How have you never played Resident Evil before? Good lord! You need to rectify that IMMEDIATELY.

Start with REmake (Remake of resident evil 1, first released on the gamecube but then re-released on current gen a year or two ago)

You can also get a remaster of Resident Evil 0, but that's (obviously) a prequel and was made many years after the original trilogy, by which time the story had started getting a bit more mental than "biological experiments gone wrong".

Resident Evil 2 is the pinnacle of the series, particularly the 'old' style of the series (they started getting way more action heavy with 4, then doubled down on that in 5 and quadrupled down on it in six, to the game's detriment).

• Upvote 1

Ah, well Resi 7 is kinda unique with those Saw-like story puzzles and set pieces. Not too much like that in the series or most of the other good horror games I can think of.

But Resi aside, here are some horror games you might enjoy which have good stories or interesting gameplay:

- Dead Space 1: sci fi horror with excellent gameplay, its well balanced so you are always low on ammo and along with an amazing atmosphere is very tense. Plus great action set pieces. Dead Space 2 is more action orientated but also very good.

- Soma: Kinda sci fi horror. Atmospheric underwater base that has gone to crap, has a very interesting and thought provoking story.

- Bioshock: Not really horror but amazing setting, great story and interesting gameplay.

- Prey: Same DNA as Bioshock, lots of dynamic gameplay on a massive space station and great atmosphere with lota of funky ideas. Not tremendously scary but can be tense and plenty of jump scares.

- Silent Hill 1 or 2: 1 hasn't aged well but is still horrifying. 2s gameplay is much better but overall not quite as scary as 1, great atmosphere though.

- Alien Isolation: incredible Aliens game where you have no defence against the Alien prowling the space station save for distractions. Terrifying and great gameplay as the Alien has dynamic AI, it learns and its never predictable.

I'm struggling to think of games with set piece kind of puzzles like the birthday tape though, especially in a horror setting. Myst and Riven spring to mind as being first person with complex puzzles, as well as the Witness.If you like the Saw setup, also check out the excellent 999 game series, its a mix between escape the room puzzles and incredible plot, lots of reading but its worth it.

• Upvote 1

I got this recently and started playing this week. Ooooooh, it's quite good, isn't it? It reminds me precisely of how I felt playing the first game - ie too shit-scared to open the next door for fear of what might be waiting. 

When the the Resident Evil style puzzles started to make their appearance and the environment took on that old familiar feeling of a big haunted house it all really started to click. The addition of the unbeatable, just run and hide character(s?) definitely shows capcom have been paying attention to games like Alien Isolation and Soma and it works really well.

I'm only up to the morgue boss, finding the bosses a bit too difficult at the moment, but maybe that'll ease up as I get to grips with the deliberately tense controls. 

After watching the DLC trailer I thought I would fire this up again in VR - and, well, it's just bloody amazing isn't it? Even with this being my second playthrough and knowing what's going to happen, I still shit my pants every time something jumps out at me, and it still gets my heart pounding out of my chest. Just walking through the house has me constantly on edge it's so tense - and the save rooms are so welcome - like in the old games, they quite literally allow you breathe out and relax (for 2 seconds).

It's true the enemy variety could have been better (besides the Bakers who are fabulously gross), and the environments besides the house and surrounds just miss a beat here and there (especially towards the end) - but I've been an avid gamer since my Commodore 64 days,  and this game in VR is what I would call a revolution.

As far as the upcoming DLC goes - yeah it looks a bit action oriented, but I can't wait for it. :)

• Upvote 1

I'm gearing up for a second VR run through too.. if nothing else just to remind me that this still needs to be top of my GOTY list. 

9 hours ago, CheekyMonkey said:

After watching the DLC trailer I thought I would fire this up again in VR - and, well, it's just bloody amazing isn't it? Even with this being my second playthrough and knowing what's going to happen, I still shit my pants every time something jumps out at me, and it still gets my heart pounding out of my chest. Just walking through the house has me constantly on edge it's so tense - and the save rooms are so welcome - like in the old games, they quite literally allow you breathe out and relax (for 2 seconds).

It's true the enemy variety could have been better (besides the Bakers who are fabulously gross), and the environments besides the house and surrounds just miss a beat here and there (especially towards the end) - but I've been an avid gamer since my Commodore 64 days,  and this game in VR is what I would call a revolution.

As far as the upcoming DLC goes - yeah it looks a bit action oriented, but I can't wait for it. :)

Replayed it recently, (No VR for me) and it's still a very good game. Finished my Madhouse run which was...stressful to say the least!