rllmuk
Hexx

Spider-Man PS4 - Insomniac swings into action!

Yeah - just googled it -  must improve my knowledge of the Marvel universe...

Just finished the final chapter of the DLC 100%.

I'd happily pay for more of these little chapters.

That or Insomniac show the sequel at the PS5 reveal doohickey / shindig.

3 hours ago, teddymeow said:

That or Insomniac show the sequel at the PS5 reveal doohickey / shindig

Spoiler

I'd love it if they announced co-op, after the credits scene with Peter and Miles.

• Upvote 2

Whew! Just finished the main game and, I gotta say, it was brilliant. Not only did Insomnic get the feeling of being Spider-Man just right but they put a pretty fun and engrossing story in there too, with lots of well drawn characters and drama, packed with loads of supervillains to boot. 

Spoiler

Battling the likes of Rhino, Vulture and Dr Octopus was a real highlight, in a game of many. I particularly loved battling Electro while webslinging; challenging, fun and it fulfilled many a childhood fantasy. 

The on foot and stealth sections were quite dull and perfunctory, it has to be said - particularly when held against the main game, which is so richly detailed and lovingly realised - and while I appreciate they are meant to be pallet cleansers, like the mini games, their trial and error nature did grate, especially coming off the back of TLoU 2. I in no way expect Insomniac to develop a fully featured stealth game on top of what they’ve already achieved, but perhaps just eliminate these bits in the future?

Can’t wait to see where the story goes in the next game!

• Upvote 2

Oh wow! I just realised the GOTY edition includes all DLC. I’m not done here yet!

• Upvote 2

I’ve just bought this as for some reason I overlooked it on release, I chose it over Assassin’s Creed Odyssey - did I make the right choice? 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’ve just bought this as for some reason I overlooked it on release, I chose it over Assassin’s Creed Odyssey - did I make the right choice? 

That's like asking if you made the right choice out of a Ferrari 458, and a Subaru Impreza.

Just now, Thor said:

That's like asking if you made the right choice out of a Ferrari 458, and a Subaru Impreza.

Which one is which?

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

no. 

because ACOdy doesn’t have bastard pigeons 

• Empathy 1

Season pass is 7.99 in the sale....is it worth it?

Still yet to really start this game I bought a while back in a sale.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Which one is which?

Spidey ain't no Scooby.

I like this, the city is awesome, I must admit though I’m kind of mashing a bit during combat, don’t feel like I’m using all my moves and powers effectively just yet, does it become more intuitive? Feel like it throws quite a bit at you to begin with. 

Effective use of both your suit powers and your gadgets becomes paramount at higher difficulty levels - especially for the DLC.

It gets more intuitive as you get used to it. I ended up loving the combat and challenge rooms more than anything else by the end of the game, after hating it originally!

Try to find one or two reliable/repeatable moves to start with and just do whatever feels fun.

They have totally nailed the swinging and traversal generally, all I wanted to do was swing everywhere and climb tall buildings - it’s easily the best representation of a city I’ve seen. 

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

I like this, the city is awesome, I must admit though I’m kind of mashing a bit during combat, don’t feel like I’m using all my moves and powers effectively just yet, does it become more intuitive? Feel like it throws quite a bit at you to begin with. 

Absolutely yes - and the game throws in challenges that encourage you to use particular abilities/gadgets, I found those really helpful in cementing them in my noggin. 

Having aced the main game and the first DLC the second one has raised the bar with the Hammerhead bases. The sheer number of bozos to beat down can be overwhelming!

• Upvote 1

This is superb, I wasn’t sure about the combat at first but now it’s clicked I love it - webbing guys to walls, swinging ‘em into other guys, launching them, air combos etc. etc. At first I was just getting in there brawling but now I’m starting to appreciate my whole move set more and using the environment - getting away when I need to and then approaching from another angle. I think, maybe, and I’m still quite early on, but maybe this has better combat than the Arkham games. And to me those are still the benchmark for these types of games. 

I’m not just doing the main quest because a game with environments as detailed and rich demand to be explored - so I’ve unlocked all the towers, collected a load of backpacks and taken photos (I like how there are secret ones of those too) and normally I’d find that a bit run of the mill but when the game plays well and movement is so enjoyable I don’t mind it at all, despite how banal stashing loads of bags around the city actually is. 

But speed, the height, the smoothness of control, fluidity, the density of it all, is just exceptional. I mean when this game moves it gives more of a sensation of speed than most racing games, and with that added verticality it’s breathtaking to experience.  It’s almost immediately moved into my games of the generation list and I’m not even really a massive fan of super heroes. 

My favourite parts are definitely the Fisk bases - trying to take out as many mobs as possible with perch takedowns before getting in there and zipping around like, well, Spider-man. 

Think I’ll go for the DLC on this one as I’ve  noticed it’s also in the sale, any good? 

And now Miles Morales has edged its way into my most wanted next generation launch games list alongside Halo Infinite. A PS5 or Xbox Series  X will now be a tougher choice. 

• Upvote 5

On 09/07/2020 at 17:44, Harrisown said:

Season pass is 7.99 in the sale....is it worth it?

Still yet to really start this game I bought a while back in a sale.

I went and bought this as I'm not ready to end my experience with Spidey just yet!

However - I bought the season pass via the PS app on my phone, then a few hours later I went into the game and can't see where to download it. It says purchased when I go to the store on the console, but I have no idea how to access it. It's not under add ons or anything.

Can anyone advise? Maybe I'm out of storage space? 

@Stanley I am enjoying the DLC, for both the story and the extra challenge. Your mileage may vary on the former but if you’re enjoying the moment to moment gameplay it comes recommended. 

Comparisons with the Arkham games leave poor old Bat-brains looking sluggish and clunky - Insomniac have taken inspiration from Rocksteady’s work and made something much more kinetic and dynamic. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Boothjan said:

I went and bought this as I'm not ready to end my experience with Spidey just yet!

However - I bought the season pass via the PS app on my phone, then a few hours later I went into the game and can't see where to download it. It says purchased when I go to the store on the console, but I have no idea how to access it. It's not under add ons or anything.

It's not very intuitive but once you have the season pass you then have to go to each individual DLC chapter in the store and download them one by one. Accessing the store directly via the DLC menu in the game didn't work for me so I had to do it from the PS4 dashboard.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Boothjan said:

I had to go to each DLC’s page on the store and press the ‘purchased’ button to initiate the download. You can get to them easily enough from the home screen by pressing down on Spider-Man and finding your way to the DLC area. Once they’re installed you’ll need to quit the game if it’s still running, go to the DLC tab on the menu and select each one in turn to play. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Popo said:

@Stanley I am enjoying the DLC, for both the story and the extra challenge. Your mileage may vary on the former but if you’re enjoying the moment to moment gameplay or comes recommended. 

Comparisons with the Arkham games leave poor old Bat-brains looking sluggish and clunky - Insomniac have taken inspiration from Rocksteady’s work and made something much more kinetic and dynamic. 

Yes I was doubtful about just how much control over Spidey you would have during combat but it’s surprisingly adept. Tbh I love them both because tonally Batman is more to my tastes, but in saying that I love day time Manhattan in this too, it’s pretty great. 

• Upvote 1

Reading these comments has made me want to play some Spidey again already so I think I might go and get the DLC too. 

What sort of length platy time wise are all the DLC chapters?

The DLC got heavily criticised at release, but taking all 3 chunks together it's a decent expansion with unique bosses and enemies that live up to the main campaign. Black Cat was great.

I cannot wait for Miles Morales.

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Reading these comments has made me want to play some Spidey again already so I think I might go and get the DLC too. 

What sort of length platy time wise are all the DLC chapters?

I did the first one in an afternoon - all missions, crimes, bases and challenges. So taking all 3 together probably about 6-8 hours or so. 

• Upvote 1

The story really picks up pace doesn’t it and gets quite a bit darker, I really like the balance of tone they’ve struck between wisecracking Spidey and the shock and awe of it all. Now have quite a few side missions and what have you on the go and I really feel like doing them all.

For anyone who has earned it how difficult is the Platinum trophy? I’m not hardcore by any means but it’d like to go for it if it’s doable.

Which suit powers and gadgets does everyone use? 

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

For anyone who has earned it how difficult is the Platinum trophy? I’m not hardcore by any means but it’d like to go for it if it’s doable.

It’s eminently doable . I know this because outside of telltale easy platinums it’s about the only one I’ve got . Most of the trophies you get through playing the game . On top of that  You basically do all the side quests and optional stuff and find the odd landmark . 

• Upvote 1