Spider-Man PS4 - Insomniac swings into action!

Hexx

• 2 months later...

I thought this was worth a bump now that the Remastered version is out on PS5.

I've tried both Fidelity and Performance modes and this is a significant improvement over the PS4 version. 60fps just makes such a difference to traversal and combat, and as gorgeous as it looks in Fidelity, I'll take the smoothness every day, same as with Miles Morales. Even the lighting seems better, although that may be a general bedazzlement, I haven't done a close A:B comparison, I'm just going off memory.

I only ever played a few hours of the original game, never really got its hooks into me, but I already know that I will rinse this. Very satisfying and tactile gameplay. 

Well, the save migration policy to PS5 is just about the most awkward it could be.

You have to open the game on your PS4, select a save slot, and press R1 to upload that to Insomniac's cloud. Then you go to the PS5, and download that save slot. If you have more than one slot going (and I had three - one for the original playthrough, one for an NG+ which has to use a second slot, and one for an Ultimate difficulty run) you then go back to the PS4, and do the process again, as you can only do one slot at a time.

PSA: if you think you will ever play the Spider-Man Remaster - do this before you ditch the PS4. Even if you'll never buy it, but would play it if it turned up on PS Plus (which has to be a reasonable chance, given that they're not selling it separately) upload a save. Once you don't have a PS4 and the game in your possession, you can't get your save over - it doesn't take the default PS4 save file at all.

EDIT: Am an idiot.

6 minutes ago, K said:

@Uncle Mike

I’m sure this is a stupid question, but if you no longer have a PS4, could you not upload it by playing the PS4 version in BC on your PS5, going through the above rigmarole, then loading up the PS5 version to download the save? 

Oh yeah. That'll work. It turns out it's less stupid than I am.

• 1 month later...

And *bump*

I'm really late to this party, but I bought a PS4 recently and just catching up on last-gen gaming.  Blimey, this is a bit fun isn't it?  It's like gaming crack to me, with all the gadgets, skills, collectables etc, not to mention the combat is actually FUN.

I still haven't unlocked a few things, like the challenges, so I imagine I'm gonna be playing this for many many hours to come.  It has really got me back in enjoying games again.

Without going back through the entire thread, anyone got any tips for optimal/favourite suit/gadget set ups?

3 minutes ago, criminal said:

And *bump*

I'm really late to this party, but I bought a PS4 recently and just catching up on last-gen gaming.  Blimey, this is a bit fun isn't it?  It's like gaming crack to me, with all the gadgets, skills, collectables etc, not to mention the combat is actually FUN.

I still haven't unlocked a few things, like the challenges, so I imagine I'm gonna be playing this for many many hours to come.  It has really got me back in enjoying games again.

Without going back through the entire thread, anyone got any tips for optimal/favourite suit/gadget set ups?

A good get-out clause when you're being overwhelmed in combat is the Web Blossom suit power. It's massively OP. Almost feels like cheating! It does take a while to charge up, though.

4 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

A good get-out clause when you're being overwhelmed in combat is the Web Blossom suit power. It's massively OP. Almost feels like cheating! It does take a while to charge up, though.

Ah yes, this was one of, if not the first one I unlocked as well :) it is fun and effective!  Any other good ones to install early on?

4 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I find the key to combat is to keep moving, try and stay in the air and keep an eye on your spider-sense so that you can dodge. I generally only used the Spider-Bot (think that’s what it was called) in the first game.

After some awful crashing shenanigans I mentioned in the PS5 thread, today I finished the replay I was partway through of this before Cyberpunk came out. The Performance RT mode is brilliant. Spidey on PS4 Pro was already impressive, but this is a real step up again with the ray tracing and 60fps.

Also, I did eventually get used to the new Peter, to the point I don't mind him now. Just hope they ditch that smug 'I just had sex with Scarlett Johansson' grin he walks around with. His default face has him looking far too pleased with himself. :lol:

Looking forward to the proper sequel in a few years.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, geldra said:

Look I know it’s a small thing but whoever programmed how pigeons fly in this needs fucking shooting. 

“you don’t need to catch them, you just need to keep up”

• 9 months later...

I've finally got around to playing this. I picked it up ages ago for PS4 for some stupidly small amount of money and just never played it...another one added to the infinite list of unplayed shame that torments me every day of my life.

But, after spending a bit of time working out that - no - I couldn't upgrade the normal game by itself (why? Who knows), I had some dollars in the US account wallet and decided to pick up the thing with Mile Morales.

Fucking hell, I'm late to the party, but this is properly good fun. And it's a Spider man that is very much like the one back when I was an avid reader of the comic (think 80s/90s). Web swinging in 60fps is pretty awesome, and whilst I have some doubts about the skill needed to do all the nifty things it's telling me I can do, it's great!

Better than any Marvel movie I've watched, that's for sure. 

3 hours ago, JoeK said:

I've finally got around to playing this. I picked it up ages ago for PS4 for some stupidly small amount of money and just never played it...another one added to the infinite list of unplayed shame that torments me every day of my life.

But, after spending a bit of time working out that - no - I couldn't upgrade the normal game by itself (why? Who knows), I had some dollars in the US account wallet and decided to pick up the thing with Mile Morales.

Fucking hell, I'm late to the party, but this is properly good fun. And it's a Spider man that is very much like the one back when I was an avid reader of the comic (think 80s/90s). Web swinging in 60fps is pretty awesome, and whilst I have some doubts about the skill needed to do all the nifty things it's telling me I can do, it's great!

Better than any Marvel movie I've watched, that's for sure. 

Which Marvel movies have you NOT watched? (I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that you have seen more than you missed).

9 minutes ago, drmick said:

Which Marvel movies have you NOT watched? (I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that you have seen more than you missed).

Oh, I've seen them all up to the last Spidey movie I think. To be honest, I've gone off them a bit these days. They're all decent - the whole Phase One was a really clever thing to sort out, but they are their own thing, whilst this game feels much more like the comics I used to read than anything else really, and I think that's cool :)

Edit: Spiderverse is fantastic, and helped by not being part of the MCU (or as far as I can see?)

Well, just finished the first game (although lots of things to mop up, plus DLC). 

Late to the party, but it was the best game I've played all year, and possibly the last one too. The whole ending sequence (after point of no return) was thoroughly marvellous and had considerably more emotional core to it than any of the movies hands down. 

Best superhero game? Well, it's a tough call I guess. I have a huge passion for the Arkham games, and have played them more times than I care to remember, but I think I enjoyed this more? I think keeping the focus on both Peter and Spidey was fab. As was Miles and the end credit sequence made me smile inanely. Simple, but highly effective. 

Fantastic fun all 'round. 

5 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

I think Asylum is a better game, but this is still excellent. Story especially!!

I’m sure I’ll flip-flop a bit ;) 

The bias is there though - Spiderman was (and is) my fave superhero and I think this game captured him so close to how I remember him it’s pretty remarkable!

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

Well, just finished the first game (although lots of things to mop up, plus DLC). 

Late to the party, but it was the best game I've played all year, and possibly the last one too. The whole ending sequence (after point of no return) was thoroughly marvellous and had considerably more emotional core to it than any of the movies hands down. 

Best superhero game? Well, it's a tough call I guess. I have a huge passion for the Arkham games, and have played them more times than I care to remember, but I think I enjoyed this more? I think keeping the focus on both Peter and Spidey was fab. As was Miles and the end credit sequence made me smile inanely. Simple, but highly effective. 

Fantastic fun all 'round. 

Both me and my partner really got into Spider-Man, and when he finished it I urged him to move on to Arkham Knight straight away, with the knowledge of how good Rocksteady’s series was strong in my memory. 

What I hadn’t realised was how much faster and more fluid Spider-Man is, and how lumpen Batman was by comparison. I felt it really hard to go back - for all that Spidey takes inspiration from Bats, it’s probably the better game. 

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I own the PS4 version of this (digitally) is there any way of upgrading it to the PS5 version or is it entirely separate? 

I was wondering this, and tried to look up online but got quite confused before giving up! 😀