Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

Capwn

I'm intrigued by this as it's Kojima and he's arguably one of the most interesting directors working in the industry. I can't really get excited about this trailer though because it tells you absolutely nothing in terms of gameplay and what it could be. I'm not a fan of cgi stuff, so it was disappointing to see this. I wonder when this will be out too. Kojima has always come across as wanting the best of technology in his games. I dont know much about creating engines, but surely it's going to take a fair old while to create something on par with the fox engine?

i'm glad he's doing something new (his intro was cool as fuck) but I refuse to get excited by a man embracing an invisible foetus.

Actually, I've just said that put loud and it actually made me tingle a bit...

It's Kojima. MGS5 is a masterpiece. He has my money. Got to be honest though, the trailer did nothing for me.

If it wasn't Kojima and just a regular real life trailer I doubt anyone would be getting too excited.

The facial animation during the transition from Reedus crying to not crying was really jarring too. Post Uncharted 4 it looks dated 

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

He's not creating an engine, he's shopping around for one that already exists (with Mark Cerny presumably advising). The E3 video was ostensibly real-time, presumably on one of the engines they're trying.

That's fair enough. I don't really have my finger on the pulse of modern games, so simply assumed he would want to make his own from scratch. He is something of a perfectionist though, so I do wonder if he just thinks he'll have to make his own to do what he wants.

I think the trailer is pretty intriguing. It's not often you see developers of Sony's heft showcasing things as seemingly surreal and left-field as this appears, so I'm definitely interested. I just hope it tells a coherent story and isn't weird for weirdness's sake.

4 hours ago, dood said:

With you aside from the potential level of 'significance' of those things. 

I genuinely believe they are 5 human like shaped figures and that before finishing the game we'll know who/what they are. Something like Beauty&Beast Unit perhaps?

9zlo2mV.png

A lot of what Kojima plays with is significant, like this tshirt he was wearing the day before. 

n7OCnMo.png

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

I genuinely believe they are 5 human like shaped figures and that before finishing the game we'll know who/what they are. Something like Beauty&Beast Unit perhaps?

9zlo2mV.png

A lot of what Kojima plays with is significant, like this tshirt he was wearing the day before. 

n7OCnMo.png

Don't overthink it.  Remember people losing their shit at flaming whales? How important was that in the overall scheme of things..? 

Me neither, you're right though, Easy to overthink this stuff and it not pay off. I never quite understood what he was doing with the fictional developer Joakim Mogren he created from 'Moby Dick Studios.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

What was the flaming whale about? I can't even remember.

Everything weird in the game was either

Spoiler

micro-organisms doing weird sci-fi shit

or

Spoiler

telekinetic summoning by Baby Psycho Mantis

disappointingly.

7 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

And the tagline is the refrain in the song.

And a hell of a statement of intent. Good luck, Kojima. 

I thought the trailer was fucking electrifying. Possibly one of the strongest reactions i've had to a 'mood piece' trailer.

3 hours ago, Capwn said:

9zlo2mV.png

That was one of the most ominous symbols in the whole thing for me (even more than the melting baby). Can't put my finger on why - the one in the middle also seems to be in a different stance to the rest (has it's arms folded while the other have them by their sides).

The creepy factor this E3 has been off the charts.

The trailer does seem a bit, I dunno. Like, Kojima and crew had been partying the shit out of Tokyo with the huge advance they'd had from Sony, suddenly E3 was only a week away and they had nothing, so he called Reedus in for some quick mocap. "Yo Reedus, you're holding a newborn. Now it turns to oil. Do some acting!"

Nailed it.

8 hours ago, Alex W. said:

He's not creating an engine, he's shopping around for one that already exists (with Mark Cerny presumably advising). The E3 video was ostensibly real-time, presumably on one of the engines they're trying.

Probably realtime on a PC I'd imagine. I'd be seriously impressed if he's getting that sort of visuals on a console no matter how awesome the fox engine was.

1 hour ago, Spatial said:

That was one of the most ominous symbols in the whole thing for me (even more than the melting baby). Can't put my finger on why - the one in the middle also seems to be in a different stance to the rest (has it's arms folded while the other have them by their sides).

The creepy factor this E3 has been off the charts.

looks a bit like a cross

Anyone dare to speculate on plotlines/mechanics?

I think you'll be 'following' the baby throughout the game. The baby will help you solve puzzles and highlight weak points on enemies and...

I give up. I have no idea what this is.

I don't know what's going to happen in the game at all. Which is probably the first time since, eh, PT or "The Phantom Pain by Moby Dick Studios" I've not been immediately told what the game is probably going to be like as soon as it was announced.

Kojima's trailers and teasers are artistry in a sea of mere marketing. Oh, your game has zero G shootouts and features a unique new online play mode? Fuck that, here's some dead sea creatures and an oil baby and naked Norman Reedus. You want to understand my game? You're going to have to wait. He's the Alfred Hitchcock of game trailer blue balls.

The theory is that this isn't about the game at all and (in typical Kojima style) is all about his split from Konami.

Geoff Keighley spoke to Kojima the night of the Sony briefing and he couldn't / wouldn't confirm any real details about the game. Think the only real solid answer he gave that it was an action game and  that you'll be playing Norman Reedus' character but wouldn't say who that is. He even said they still haven't decided on an engine yet so who knows what they used to cobble that trailer together.

So the theory goes:

- Kojima is Norman in the trailer

- The baby is his creativity which he's clawed back after it was ripped from his body (hence the C-section type scars)

- The chain around his arm is now unlocked after being trapped at Konami, but now he's free

- The vast ocean is representative of freedom and uncertainty

- The beached animals are his fanbase after MGSV and who felt stranded and dead after PT being cancelled.

If it was anyone else and I'd say this was all utter nonsense, but this is Kojima after all. :lol:

Alternatively it could all mean you play the third beached whale from the left in that end shot, and have to press L1 and R2 to reverse paddle yourself back into the sea whilst sitting through 52 hours of cutscenes.

6 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Also, there'll be a sexy whale for the cosplay community. Inexplicably, it'll have massive tits.

You will be ashamed of your words and deeds when you discover the reason for a big titted whale.

Given that Reedus was involved in the cancelled Silent Hills and that P.T seemed to be about a chap that had murdered his family, this new game featuring Norman and a baby that vanishes into oily handprints had me assuming that this project is the old project in all but name.

"Death Stranding" even sounds like a place. 

58 minutes ago, Spatial said:

So the theory goes:

- Kojima is Norman in the trailer

- The baby is his creativity which he's clawed back after it was ripped from his body (hence the C-section type scars)

- The chain around his arm is now unlocked after being trapped at Konami, but now he's free

- The vast ocean is representative of freedom and uncertainty

- The beached animals are his fanbase after MGSV and who felt stranded and dead after PT being cancelled.

If it was anyone else and I'd say this was all utter nonsense, but this is Kojima after all. :lol:

I don't think he'd put a name to it if that was the case?