IGNORED

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

Capwn

I’m not surprised to see mixed reviews. Opinion on Kojima has always been a bit marmite but I’ve loved his previous games.

Difference is I have a 1 year-old now and with such limited game time, words like “slog” and “lengthy” are my absolute kryptonite, so I might wait till it’s cheaper and all the “what the fuck is this” trade-ins have happened.

Reviews have not put me off, I love walking simulators :wub:

Journey is one of my best games of all time, I'm going to enjoy playing this & then get some popcorn to enjoy the 2 hour film at the end.

Death Stranding reviews remind me why I like review scores. I increasingly like to go into games cold and reviews, by their nature, make that pretty tricky. So a score can basically just tell me if it’s any good or not. (I appreciate it’s more nuanced than that but that can’t be helped)

2275641-petermolyneux1549_screen.jpg&f=1

"Imagine Death Stranding, but instead of Norman Reedus you play the part of the Phantom Flan Flinger on a journey across the American wasteland with a teetering tower of custard pies on his back, where at the mission marker you must throw a pie in the face of a famous actor. On completion, a two hour cut-scene of the best bits of TISWAS plays."

36 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I’m so in! A lot of the more negative reviews sound like general impatience, which is rather unsurprising. 

I don’t know how you can say this after RDR2 received almost universal praise. 

The Giant Beastcast on this is out. Nearly an hour discussion and it’s really interesting. 

Do I want to waste hours delivering damaged virtual pizzas and falling over like a pished drunk for hours ..

So no big Kojima sleight of hand to reveal the grand scheme, he's upped the ante on walking simulators

Still wants to play the game.

From reading the reviews, I'm wondering whether after a couple of days most of the challenge will have been removed due to the community adding loads of helpful structures/ladders everywhere. Are these instances limited/balanced? Can you turn them off? But if you turn them off, then you don't see any of the cool stuff, etc.

It seems more exciting to be in there day one so you can take part in the Death Stranding conversation, than it is to play the actual game itself. And I doubt that anyone will have their present opinion of Kojima changed. Love everything he does = you'll defend this to the hilt to the point of obsession. Hate his writing style and 'auteur' tag = you'll slag the game off to high heaven in true keyboard warrior style.

I'm somewhere in the middle when it comes to his output. I love it when people like Kojima are let off the leash, but I also wonder whether someone saying 'no' - but not saying too MUCH no - would be much better for him than being given a blank cheque. Are there any videogame auteurs who are both good writers and good at gameplay? I can't think of any offhand.

MGSV was a brilliant sandbox with awesome gameplay and a dodgy story. For me, the disappointment in reading the reviews of Death Stranding is that the game aspect (which he's best at) seems to have gone way backwards, and the writing aspect (which he's worst at) has come to the fore. So do I buy? Hmmmm... not sure.

34 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Think I'm going to pick this up and go in blind.... Not seen or read anything about it since I saw the first trailer. That had me hooked. Also have some downtime at the moment as I'm between jobs... :D

Have you considered Deliveroo? 

That Guardian review is really well-written, and does actually make me want to play it. (https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/nov/01/death-stranding-review-playstation-4-pc-kojima-gameplay) This bit is particularly interesting:

Eight hours in, I hadn’t shot a single person. The challenge comes from the surprisingly engaging cargo management, where you trade weight against balance, speed against stamina, and weigh up risky shortcuts over treacherous terrain. Once you adjust, holding L2 and R2 to grab your backpack navigates most scenarios and sloppiness is the threat, for example sprinting into deep water without scanning its depth. The ghost-evading BT sections require stealth, but won’t tax Metal Gear Solid (MGS) veterans. Mules are the main human enemy, and easily dealt with by using basic kicks and punches (all on one button) and a simple evade system. You’ll unlock new kit as you progress, such as “bola” cable tie guns, further reducing the threat.

The opening hours of the game are cut-scene heavy, creating intrigue that just about drives you forward to the point when you’re 35 hours in and losing the will to zigzag up another vertical slope. Initially, Death Stranding’s barren world makes you feel the weight of every footstep, until the dizzy liberation of unlocking your first bike and whizzing along miles of broken ground in a heartbeat. Later on, you’ll find vans which stop your parcels degrading in the rain and upgrades that make a mockery of the game’s early simplicity.

I mean, I enjoy walking simulators. I enjoy just walking around first person shooters looking at the scenery. I played Elite Dangerous for ages, and that's a game where you pretty much play as a space Parcelforce operative, and you don't even have scenery to look at for the most part. I couldn't get enough of that BBC4 thing from a few years ago, where they stuck a camera on a canal barge and broadcast hours of footage as it went up a canal, with nothing else happening.

I'm not sure whether I can be arsed with all the Hideo Kojimaishness of it - I loved MGSV, but hated all the others - but I do quite like the idea of a game that's quiet and slow-paced, given that most other things I play generally make me feel like I've just knocked back two packs of Lucozade sweets and washed it down with a pint of coffee. I guess it comes down to how interesting the world is to explore - is it just endless bleakness, or does it have narrative woven into it, like RDR2 or Halo? If the world tells its own story, then I'm weirdly extremely up for this. It's a busy time for games at the moment, but it is quite tempting.

54 minutes ago, JPL said:

What the fuck is ‘a steamer trunk full of sperm’?!

Steamer trunks are basically ye olde suitcases; they were literally packed on to steam ships and filled with a passenger’s belongings. Nowadays they’re charming antiques or reproduced for designer home stores to flog off as a room’s ‘talking point’.

Filling one with male fun seed is the work of a deranged, dedicated madman.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

I’m a bit worried a lot of the glowing reviews have a distict whiff of well I didn’t actually have any fun with this, but it’s art innit and I don’t want to look like a philistine.

Particularly concerning for me as I’m of the school that thinks that Kojima is a top rate gameplay designer, but as a writer his scripts make your average 80s Saturday morning  action cartoon look like an episode of The Wire.

I think you summed up what I love and hate about Kojima and KCEJ games. The game part is brilliant, the story is unique, odd and intresting but how they deliver that to you and eventually, explain it is usually bad.

I adored MGS as it was unlike anything at the time.

MGS2 was reasonable but the bait, switch, story and eventual outcome was only truly enjoyable in hindsight. Whilst playing it, the story was nonsense.

MGS3 was my favourite MGS to play and despite some rough edges, I adored it.

MGS4 went off the deep end. Story set up was exceptional but they bottled it.

MGSV was the only mainline MGS game I never completed. I felt the need for an open world with little story justification at the start, slowly dulled my enthusasm and the characters and motivations were just bobbins. Oddly, the MGSV Demo was more exciting and pure. Might give it another go in the years to come.

Death Stranding looks more up my street and the oddly desolate world has all the atmosphere but the same criticisms make me feel Kojima is setting up another eccentric and intresting story and ultimatly, not deliver the pay offs for me to truly care like a lot of his MGS work. But then again, he might do the unexpected.

And ultimatly, I'll rather play a game that's trying something new but fails than another murder, death kill simulator. PC release still a year away?

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Thia sounds to me scarily like Guns of the Patriots, which was the last time Kojima was allowed to go peak Kojima, and the actual game:cutscenes:weird shit ratio was similarly imbalanced

Exactly what I thought. 

"Steamer trunk full of sperm" feels like something the editor should have picked up and replaced with something less distractingly weird and disgusting. Although that's probably a fitting metaphor for the game's oddities.

7 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Incredible to see forumites hand wave the bad reviews due to outlets not “getting” Kojima. Or better yet, they expected bad reviews because as we all know, Kojima games historically review very badly: This means it’s as good Guns of the Patriots!

No one is hand waving . Kojima games  don’t review badly . Mgs4 was great. 

Your post is worse than death stranding May or may not be . 

8 minutes ago, K said:

"Steamer trunk full of sperm" feels like something the editor should have picked up and replaced with something less distractingly weird and disgusting. Although that's probably a fitting metaphor for the game's oddities.

Yeah, it's the update to 'curate's egg' that no-one asked for.