IGNORED

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

Capwn

8 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Incredible to see forumites hand wave the bad reviews due to outlets not “getting” Kojima. Or better yet, they expected bad reviews because as we all know, Kojima games historically review very badly: This means it’s as good Guns of the Patriots!

Did you have this in the clipboard ready to go or something? If you look at the last few pages, people are handwaving away the GOOD reviews!

"2 hour cut scene at the end!" :facepalm:

You just know that it ISN'T a straight 2 hour cutscene but rather the last two hours just has a lot of cut scenes with moments of interactions between. That's just someone desperately trying to get a response. 

In the opening three hours, you’re in control for a mere 30 minutes. At the end, there are back-to-back cutscenes that rival MGS 4’s ending

Not for me then. Not got the patience for shit like that. I want to play a videogame, not an interactive movie. I'll be buying Horizon Zero Dawn 2, thanks.

10 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Kojima games not reviewing badly is the point. This game has been critically divisive and I do not trust the positive reviews.

MGS4 was great. Death Stranding looks a turkey.

Opinions are opinions. Most have been positive , some less so . Don’t know if that makes it a turkey, or it makes the positive ones unreliable  . Joker had an even more divisive  reception and that’s the best film I have seen this year . 
The more I see the more it interests me , it appears to be a walking simulator that accurately simulates walking . The Digital foundry review really brings that fact to the fore , the act of actually traversing the environment is a huge part of the game given the mechanics behind it , balance, mass, terrain , stamina etc 

. I think I’m in . 

Thing is, people who are primarily into action games don't exactly get their skirts lifted by the waft of a walking sim. And people who like walking sims tend to like them because they tell their story environmentally.

I like both genres, but don't want either interrupted by hours-long didactic cut scenes full of Kojima's mates.

I love Kojimary weirdness and have booked next Friday off in anticipation (the first I've done this for a game in a couple of years) but sweet fuck, these reviews are making me reconsider. 

Sounds like he may have - finally - completely vanished up his own arse. Who could have possibly foreseen this?!

The reviews remind me of Be Here Now by Oasis. The reviewers basically hated it but didn’t want to go against public opinion so gave it high scores despite most of the text suggesting it was bunk.

I do like Be Here Now by the way.

"relentless trekking, jarring menu management and some – frankly wild – tonal shifts." 

" At times, the act of playing Death Stranding is a test of faith in itself,"

"but the gruelling 15-20-hour mid-section is a seemingly endless toil of literal hills and valleys"

Of course that's a 4/5 in the guardian then... 

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Thia sounds to me scarily like Guns of the Patriots, which was the last time Kojima was allowed to go peak Kojima, and the actual game:cutscenes:weird shit ratio was similarly imbalanced.

I wish he'd just make his French art house movie and get it over and done with.

Yeah, this is what worries me too. Metal Gear 5 was one of my favourite games of all time, but I really didn't like MGS4. Its seems to be equal parts of those two titles.