Jump to content
rllmuk

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again


Recommended Posts

downloaded and ready to go for tonight...

I’m going in for the story and characters/character design I guess.

I think it’ll be a good podcast/radio/music game.

I also expect there to be lots of very strange add-ons either free or paid or just patched in.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I'm glad Giant Bomb reviewed it and Edge really should too. Feels unfair on other games that get middling/poor scores. A non review is far less likely to help decide a purchase than a low scoring one.


If Edge don’t review it, it sounds like it’s more SIE/Koj Prod’s fault than Edge’s. Their insistence that you have to finish it to review it is silly given it’s 50+ hours long. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted this to be good, but all these reviews make it sound like such a slog. 

 

I usually find the traversal the most boring part of these open world games, and it seems like its really hard work just to get from A to B in this.

 

Such a shame, as I've loved all the Metal Gears. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how much input Kojima even had in this. From reading about it, it feels as though he wrote his usual crazy film script ideas, then left his team to try and fit a game in the middle somewhere, with none of it fully fleshed out or gelling together.

 

It’ll be interesting to hear what people make of it on here, but that gif in the Giant Bomb review coupled with what sounds like a massively over-indulgent story has really put me off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Actually really looking forward to playing this now . Something so divisive is usually worth experiencing . Should hopefully be here today ! 

Looking forward to your thoughts on this. I'm gonna wait a bit before buying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JPL said:

I wonder how much input Kojima even had in this. From reading about it, it feels as though he wrote his usual crazy film script ideas, then left his team to try and fit a game in the middle somewhere, with none of it fully fleshed out or gelling together.

 

 

From his Twitter feed over the last year it seems more like he micromanaged every aspect of the thing.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

 

From his Twitter feed over the last year it seems more like he micromanaged every aspect of the thing.

Ah, I don’t use Twitter, so haven’t really heard much before the reviews. Weird that it sounds like a load of random ideas that don’t really work together then. Maybe he needs more input from his team to rein it in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The more bad reviews I read of this, the more I want to play it.

 

Not because it's "bad", more because I think people are being 'disappointed' because it doesn't somehow meet their expectations, whereas I don't really have any expectations at all and am just a bit curious about it.

  • Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Strangelite said:

The more bad reviews I read of this, the more I want to play it.

 

Not because it's "bad", more because I think people are being 'disappointed' because it doesn't somehow meet their expectations, whereas I don't really have any expectations at all and am just a bit curious about it.

There’s more positive reviews than negative . 

 

Obviously it’s not universal praise , so I’m not expecting a masterpiece . But I think that if you can enjoy it , you will really enjoy it . 
 

I’ll find out later !

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SozzlyJoe said:

Fucking hell, some crazy hot takes going on in here. It all rests on you @PeteBrant to either confirm or deny ALL of this. No pressure!

It's a burden I swear to carry out to the best of my ability.... Which is where it will all fall down of course, since the best of my ability is somewhat lacking

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Fucking hell, some crazy hot takes going on in here. It all rests on you @PeteBrant to either confirm or deny ALL of this. No pressure!

What’s crazy about it? People have read the reviews - good and bad - and are discussing things. Aren’t we allowed to talk about it until we’ve (Pete Brant’s) played it?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JPL said:

What’s crazy about it? People have read the reviews - good and bad - and are discussing things. Aren’t we allowed to talk about until we’ve (Pete Brant’s) played it?

 

It's not a question of allowed! I mean we've moved on from gameplay to speculation about whether he needs reigned in by 'suits', just looking forward to some actual grounded impressions from a forumite.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

 

It's not a question of allowed! I mean we've moved on from gameplay to speculation about whether he needs reigned in by 'suits', just looking forward to some actual grounded impressions from a forumite.

Well I questioned whether he needed reining in by his team, after someone* suggested he’d had total control, from following his twitter account. The reason I was wondering that was because of the reviews I’ve read and I was curious. I wasn’t trying to dish out any hot-takes. I was more just wondering what his role had been in DS’s development.

 

Saying that, I can’t wait to hear what people think of it on here.
 

*oh, it was you!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Down by Law said:

I'm glad Giant Bomb reviewed it and Edge really should too. Feels unfair on other games that get middling/poor scores. A non review is far less likely to help decide a purchase than a low scoring one.

 

Agreed. I only buy Edge intermittently, but was going to buy it for their DS review. And I think their more regular readership would like a review of the biggest indie game of the year/one of the biggest games of the year full stop.

 

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:


If Edge don’t review it, it sounds like it’s more SIE/Koj Prod’s fault than Edge’s. Their insistence that you have to finish it to review it is silly given it’s 50+ hours long. 

 

Well yeah, but that only applies to the Edge issue close enough to align with the release date. Once the game's embargo's lifted, it's fair game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Well, the resident Edge writer says they’re struggling to muster the enthusiasm to wade through it. 
 

Bodes well for those hoping the negative reviews are just people with “expectations”.

Woah, slow down with the hot-takes, man!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Where ?

Oh I'd say there's a fair bit of it in this thread, but perhaps from the other angle than you are thinking. Many were poo-pooing the game prior to release, and they're now stating the reviews are reinforcing their own views, when it's really just a few poor reviews (and Edge being, well, Edge). I'm concerned the gameplay won't be engaging enough, so am just exercising a little caution. 

 

It's all on you, Pete. ;)

 

1 minute ago, grindmouse said:

Well, the resident Edge writer says they’re struggling to muster the enthusiasm to wade through it. 
 

Bodes well for those hoping the negative reviews are just people with “expectations”.

It's currently sitting at 83 on metacritic based on 78 critics, with only two genuinely negative reviews (one of which is that GB one). But of course, we should pay that no mind because Edge has spoken. :rolleyes:

 

I'll probably hate the fucking game. :lol:

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Edge was one of the few publications to give a justifiably bad score to Hellblade a few years ago, while every other source was calling it a masterpiece of worthiness. They know their onions. Especially when you can talk to the monsters.

  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Benny said:

Edge was one of the few publications to give a justifiably bad score to Hellblade a few years ago, while every other source was calling it a masterpiece of worthiness. They know their onions. Especially when you can talk to the monsters.

In your opinion. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.