rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

17 minutes ago, PinkMoon said:

Holy fuck. Has the Fleabag magic worn off?

Yes . Desperate times call for desperate measures!! 

Bish asked after you the other day . Definitely next year ....

• Upvote 1

Im listening to Fextralife playing this on Twitch, he's alternating between 'this sgameplay is mediocre', to when the world start populating 'this is pretty cool'.

Watching a stream of this (the channel is PS4Trophies, quite good, he's a lot less sardonic and annoying than the You're A Gamer feed from earlier) and he's just commented how busy the world is and that many structures are appearing already, despite the game not being officially out yet. Seems like some of those long early slogs that the game has been criticised for will be less arduous pretty shortly after the game is out. Be interesting to see how much difference a heavily populated gameworld makes.

Two hours in and I'm pretty captivated so far. Admittedly, 'Kojima Fan Enjoys Kojima Game' may not be the exacting critique you're after, but here we are. 

• Upvote 3

Watching the Giant Bomb quick look and I'm amazed at the fact both Alex and Vinnie have completed the game but Vinnie is constantly giving tips to Alex on how to play the game and make life easier for himself.

It seems Alex didn't experiment with the game at all when he was playing it and played it in the most frustrating way possible going by the way he plays it in the quick look.

Examples - mild gameplay spoilers from early in the game, nothing story related:

Spoiler

Alex places packages on the floor at the base to repair them with spray. He proceeds to walk backwards and forwards clumsily spraying them until they're repaired.

Vinnie: You can just keep the packages on your person and point the spray at yourself.

Alex then slowly and cautiously makes his way past the ghostly 'BTs' in a snail like manner and carefully lobs blood grenades at them one at a time. Twenty times.

Vinnie: You can pretty much run through this area unless you get too close then your detector starts flashing orange/red. Alex's detector is white the whole time pretty much.

Alex gets dragged into a black goo mini boss fight and he proceeds to proclaim that he has to fight it and he's never managed to get away from these fights by running ever.

Vinnie: You can just run away from these fights. I ran away nearly every time.

Alex then proceeds to try and get away in the worst direction possible over horrendous rocky mountainous terrain getting stuck in crevices. He finally gets onto flat terrain and lo and behold - the black goo subsides and things return to normal.

:doh:

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2

39 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Two hours in and I'm pretty captivated so far. Admittedly, 'Kojima Fan Enjoys Kojima Game' may not be the exacting critique you're after, but here we are. 

I concur completely . It’s utterly captivating . Course its early doors, could all turn to shit  . And the terrain traversal sounds boring on paper . But when you’re doing it you are picking out routes all the time .

• Upvote 2

Just got to chapter one and need to go to bed now. It's beautiful and batshit bonkers ( duh) only done the tutorial as far as gameplay goes but It seems as if the traversal is the puzzle and you can't just push forward to run to the next objective. Looking forward to my first actual delivery and doing some climbing , etc. Early days but the ambience is fantastic and I'm really looking forward to a full session tomorrow night.

• Upvote 3

Anyone order from Simplygames get there's Wednesday? I missed a signed parcel on 06/11 but i know i have another ebay order due this week. Please don't tell me its been sat there for 2 days and i have to go to the Post Office first thing.

Well that was some 2 hours of gameplay.

Really very interesting. Brilliant I would say.

The gameplay mechanics feel very Japanese, very metal gear solid 5, no real physics there which is a little disappointing. Feels like it really should be using euphoria physics.

It looks great, the cut scenes are great the characters are great the story is great and the visual and technical design is great.....so far.

I’m a huge fan of actual music in games so I’m very pleased with it being incorporated into the game the way it has been thus far.

Infact I feel rather inspired to make my own chill tune up and use the game as the music video.

Finished work at 10 pm, got to be up at 7am to start again at 8.

Goodnight.

• Upvote 8

Happy Console Gamer’s initial thoughts.

One important point for me is in the current AAA market where everything is blending into each other, this is a completely different experience. 

That alone is enough for me to want to spend some time with the game

• Upvote 4

Woke up early and spent 90 minutes with it. Too little to say anything except for the feel, which some very clunky exposition aside, is very very good. Dark, oppressive, very cohesive so far. And yeah, you *really* have to shift normal behaviour from the typical open third person approach. No looking ahead at the scenery and pushing forward, you really have to think. It’s second to second. 

I can’t wait to get stuck in to it over the weekend. This might be a bit special. 

Might being a very operative word right now. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

....Of course it could all turn to shit after the initial long introduction 

This is very true. 

If I’m honest though, it feels like I’m going to really love it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Got it yesterday as well and played a few hours last night, pretty much agree with what everyone else is saying, really enjoyed it so far. Art and sound design, music, graphics, the menus, and acting is off the charts.

Yes, not a huge amount of 'playing was done' but it feels so different from what we usually get nowadays, I had lot of fun playing, was transfixed by it until I stopped playing last night, very much looking forward to see where it goes and the baby was much less annoying than i thought.

• Upvote 1

Threedog and chums are streaming this now, they are the ones who play mgs non stop. Can’t wait to see what they think. Iv read some reviews describing this as metal gear survive! From what Iv watched it looks pretty fun, the graphics are a tier above anything else. 

I've watched enough of it over the week to make a judgement on it, so I went out and got it this morning.

Think it will be a nice chillout game with the art and the environment as an alternative to the online shooters I'm mostly playing.

With my credit only cost me £25 ; better than the £240 the plastic baby in the plastic case full of foam is currenty going for on ebay. :blink:

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Isn't watching a stream one big cutscene?

Definitely. The plot/story is very interesting though and I don’t have a PS4. Plus I love Kojima. 

plus watching a stream is funny. Everytime Sam loses a package people spam in chat ‘ ugh my 50lbs is Hentai! ‘ 

So I've "played" through the prologue while my wife watched.

Well we both watched most of the time.

For a certain sort of person this is going to be their game. It's a very slow burn so far but I'm loving it.

And the little gameplay I had reminded me a lot of various jobs where I've had to carry heavy loads, and how the extra weight can make a massive difference to how you move and your centre of gravity. I think it's going to be utterly divisive but those who fall in love with it are going to love it.

Landscape wise it looks amazing, and that's on a vanilla PS4.

• Upvote 5