rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

4 minutes ago, Harsin said:

When people praise Kojima's writing abilities I always end up feeling a bit like Roddy Piper in They Live.

So far it's the lack of writing, at least of dialogue. It feels like there's space to breathe.

• Upvote 2

Oh damnit not had the PS4 on for a couple of months now... Think it's going to be a while before I get to play! :) System updating as I type.... Looking forward to this. Hopefully won't be to big of an install! :)

Edit: System update failed. Jeez. Now in safe mode trying to update it. :D Grrrrrr 

• Empathy 1

6 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Same here. PS4's been in the attic ever since I bought a Switch. Might hook it up for this though, and then have a go at RE2 and DMC V while I'm at it.

This and the last of us 2 are the main two reasons I still have the PS4 around. Oh and it has a GREAT version of my arcade favourite Salamander on it....

I can tell I've been playing the switch predominantly because I keep pressing the O button on the PS4 pad to select things.... :D

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Harsin said:

When people praise Kojima's writing abilities I always end up feeling a bit like Roddy Piper in They Live.

I mean, to be fair, he's come on a long way since the sexual assault simulator named Policenauts.

34 minutes ago, Benny said:

I mean, to be fair, he's come on a long way since the sexual assault simulator named Policenauts.

Has he though?

It feels so odd coming from the excellently written The Outer Worlds to this, which appears to be forged from a stoned sixth former's film studies project script.

I love the presentation in this, it's almost unparalleled in video games but damn I wish he had an editor he could trust. There's so much extraneous information in the cutscenes, concepts and plot points repeated in quick succession as if he has no trust in the audience to be able to figure things out unless he hammers them into their brain.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2

I'm really enjoying "scenic drizzly mountain hike simulator" as a concept, whether or not it'll carry an entire game. Reminds me of my favourite bits of RDR2.

Oh boy did Hideo Kojima write the heck out of this. (Spoilers to the end of chapter 1.)

Spoiler

It took me a while, with this being a science fiction game where you're kind of flailing around trying to understand the setting from minute zero, to be sure whether Sam had forgotten who the president was. But no, he remembered, it was just the worst "As I'm sure you remember..." dialogue yet committed to a game.

And the whole business where a character will give you the same information three different times in a minute and then provide a quick summary of the important points at the end of the conversation just has not changed since MGS4. Kojima's monologue style resembles nothing quite as much as a business presentation.

So let's say I'm finding this novel in premise and completely as expected in execution. Enjoyably so.

Edit - Oh, the prologue had "Netflix nordic prestige drama" written all over it, which was a fun look.

• Upvote 1

Having to load your actual equipment on your body reminds me of an MGS1 illustration Yoji Shinkawa did of Snake carrying all the gear he finds in the game. (He forgot the cardboard boxes.)

Really rather enjoying this, although given my teeny tiny attention span I'm not completely convinced I'm going to feel the same in another fourty hours. 

But we'll see! Losing some of my cargo and then managing to catch it downstream as it being was swept away was hilariously dramatic. As was the additional gamble of then using a couple of ladders to cross the same river to pick up a box of metal. It's definitely doing something for me. 

One thing; I feel like I've completely missed an introduction to Heartman at some point. He seems to have just started appearing in the holograms and over the private rooms speakers as if I know who he is. :unsure:

20 minutes ago, Jolly said:

One thing; I feel like I've completely missed an introduction to Heartman at some point. He seems to have just started appearing in the holograms and over the private rooms speakers as if I know who he is. :unsure:

did you not get the cutscene after you “ die” when the BTs attack the corpse recovery vehicle on your way to the incinerator ? . Then you have the dream sequence and you find the strand to your body and wake up with the deadman , and he tells you to take morphine to the president . Right at the beginning of chapter 1

1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:
  Reveal hidden contents

did you not get the cutscene after you “ die” when the BTs attack the corpse recovery vehicle on your way to the incinerator ? . Then you have the dream sequence and you find the strand to your body and wake up with the deadman , and he tells you to take morphine to the president . Right at the beginning of chapter 1

Spoiler

Yeah, I had all that and met Deadman and Die-Hardman (teehee) but not the other dude :(. It's the British guy with glasses I'm referring to. Hope I haven't skipped something accidentally somehow. 

3 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Hide contents

Yeah, I had all that and met Deadman and Die-Hardman (teehee) but not the other dude :(. It's the British guy with glasses I'm referring to. Hope I haven't skipped something accidentally somehow. 

Doh I misread heart man as deadman . Sorry . 

• Upvote 1