rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

25 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Do you know think the monster is Kojima irony though? That even In those hard times people still have access to mass produced energy drinks that one slurp completely rejuvenates them? 

Shame really having those in there. Just overlook it myself. At least I guess his suit and cargo packs aren't branded or there are McDonalds food places kicking around the landscape to boost your stamina... :)

This is intriguing, particularly the story and stuff. The visual design is amazing, all the clothes and gear, very Kojima. Facial capture is probably the best ever. I know RDR2 is a different kind of game but they look generations apart in this respect, even if RDR2 is otherwise probably the best looking game ever. 

Music is decent and appropriate, I think the direction has been pretty good so far, some interesting sections and decisions. It's also been emotionally involving so far. 

Yeah, I quite like it. 

• Upvote 3

I'm still not sure if I'm enjoying this. I find the BTs a hindrance. Avoiding them is easy, but painstakingly slow, that's already gotten real old. Organising your equipment/packages and then also managing your weight while traversing is also ... not what I'd call fun. 

Anyone else find they've shrunk the entirely of America to the size of a small county? According to the map I'm a third of the way across America. On foot. Are you fucking kidding me? :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I'm still not sure if I'm enjoying this. I find the BTs a hindrance. Avoiding them is easy, but painstakingly slow, that's already gotten real old. Organising your equipment/packages and then also managing your weight while traversing is also ... not what I'd call fun. 

Anyone else find they've shrunk the entirely of America to the size of a small county? According to the map I'm a third of the way across America. On foot. Are you fucking kidding me? :lol:

Are you using the auto function to arrange packages?

1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:

Are you using the auto function to arrange packages?

Yeah, but I found it put too much on Sam's back. 

I got annoyed having ladders in my arms and legs... didn’t seem to help balance much.

do wish it was more physics based. 
it feels like the generational leap this should have been was missed. The star of the show should have been how a character interacts with terrain.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

All video game worlds are tiny with the illusion of being massive, unless it’s Elite or No Mans Sky, but you can travel around at thousands of miles per second in those :P

Sat and played this for about 4 hours today and I love it so far.

I feel like a lot of the complaints can be answered by simply saying ”well, it’s a Kojima game”

Never felt like a cutscene was too long, never felt bored as I was playing a “walking simulator”, just enjoyed it as I’ve enjoyed all Kojima games.

You think about MGS and you spend most of your time; running, hiding and avoiding combat as much as possible so is traversing the environment in this really that much different?

The only thing I’ve found so far, which TBH is pretty game breaking, is

you can literally bypass all the balance, traversal, problems gameplay by just constantly holding L2 and R2. You do this and you run and you NEVER encounter an instance where you lose your balance. From what I’ve seen so far...

• Empathy 1

2 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Sat and played this for about 4 hours today and I love it so far.

I feel like a lot of the complaints can be answered by simply saying ”well, it’s a Kojima game”

Never felt like a cutscene was too long, never felt bored as I was playing a “walking simulator”, just enjoyed it as I’ve enjoyed all Kojima games.

You think about MGS and you spend most of your time; running, hiding and avoiding combat as much as possible so is traversing the environment in this really that much different?

The only thing I’ve found so far, which TBH is pretty game breaking, is

Reveal hidden contents

you can literally bypass all the balance, traversal, problems gameplay by just constantly holding L2 and R2. You do this and you run and you NEVER encounter an instance where you lose your balance. From what I’ve seen so far...

Even better for steeper slopes that you'd run down regardless

Equip a construction item (rope pole, ladder etc), hold down L2 and you'll slowly walk down even the steepest of slopes, also passing over small rocks that you'd normally have to push X to cross.

• Upvote 2

About 5-6 hours in, really enjoying it so far. I bloody WISH the worst part of it really was just that you're walking about from A-B because I rather enjoy that side of it. Mainly because of the world design and presentation.

The worst part of it for me is easily the UI design. Tiny text everywhere and SO much info that keeps expanding and expanding into multiple menus and sub menus. I'm terrified I'm going to get to a part where I'm expected to remember new ability  #10,164 and forget it exists but that hasn't happened yet. I just feel like it's systems/UI could have really been benefited by streamlining it and making it more accessible. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Stanley said:

All video game worlds are tiny with the illusion of being massive, unless it’s Elite or No Mans Sky, but you can travel around at thousands of miles per second in those :P

Do most games usually try to simulate an entire country, and one of the largest in the world at that, though? Obviously all game worlds are an illusion in terms of relative size but they usually try to simulate cities, towns or smaller regions where you can suspend your disbelief more. There is something about claiming you're crossing the entirety of America and then presenting you with a map the size of a GTA region map that breaks the illusion more than in most instances I think.

Can’t believe that we’re got two riveting takes on humanity’s relationship with death within weeks of each other, although only one of them has a Gooigi.

• Upvote 1

EI7YeUaXYAEND1Q?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Just look at it, it's fucking stunning.

The game, however, is fucking dogshit. I've had enough. The bike traversal was the final nail for me, it's atrocious. Additionally, moving through these vistas wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the BTs. Every time I hit some rain, it's obvious BT's are near, and my reaction is always 'for fuck's sake' ... that's pretty much the opposite of the reaction I want the games I play to elicit. 

This is not for me.

• Upvote 6

29 minutes ago, Stanley said:

This game royally takes the fucking piss with that though.

I feel like a beginners guide for this would be useful to me but I've started watching 2 videos like this and then soon jump ahead to things I've not seen yet so I stop.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Every time I hit some rain, it's obvious BT's are near, and my reaction is always 'for fuck's sake' ... that's pretty much the opposite of the reaction I want the games I play to elicit. 

Can you think of any other game where you just 'avoid' enemies where that element is fun? wondering if it's just Death Stranding or the concept of avoiding enemies that you don't like. 

3 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Can you think of any other game where you just 'avoid' enemies where that element is fun? wondering if it's just Death Stranding or the concept of avoiding enemies that you don't like. 

Just avoiding, with little to no other option? Not really. But I can cite all the MGS, Splinter Cell, and Hitman games as examples of enjoyable gameplay where you avoid enemies. I love stealth games, have done for years. Avoiding the BTs in this is a chore.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

The game, however, is fucking dogshit. I've had enough. The bike traversal was the final nail for me, it's atrocious. Additionally, moving through these vistas wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the BTs. Every time I hit some rain, it's obvious BT's are near, and my reaction is always 'for fuck's sake' ... that's pretty much the opposite of the reaction I want the games I play to elicit. 

This is not for me.

And that's exactly why I won't  be playing this. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Just avoiding, with little to no other option? Not really. But I can cite all the MGS, Splinter Cell, and Hitman games as examples of enjoyable gameplay where you avoid enemies. I love stealth games, have done for years. Avoiding the BTs in this is a chore.

Yep. I think 'stealth' in those games work better as you can identify patterns and explore a number of options. So far with DS it's just crouch/stop breathing...scan...move....repeat. It feels less rewarding then those examples for sure.

• Upvote 1

Just finished chapter two, after a very tense hike through mountains taking out BTs. Then as I descended to my goal music kicked in and I had a genuine OMFG moment

I can totally understand people not liking this. But fuck me I love it. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Thor said:

This is not for me.

Yep, it sounds like this won’t be for me. Never mind.

30 minutes ago, spanx said:

Just finished chapter two, after a very tense hike through mountains taking out BTs. Then as I descended to my goal music kicked in and I had a genuine OMFG moment

I can totally understand people not liking this. But fuck me I love it. 

FUCK IT, sounds ace. I’m back in!

:blink:

• Upvote 7

I just don’t know how I feel about this - on one hand it looks stunning from the streams I’ve looked at but it also looks both frustrating and boring. 
 Then I read people’s opinions here and it reads like it’s something I should experience - I think it’s one to put on my £30 or under on the 2nd hand market pile. 

This is kinda reminding me of No Man's Sky at launch. Menial tasks with not much to do outside of that, but I can't stop playing it.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Another thing . I can’t remember the last “triple a”. Game where I am a good 5 hours (although probably only 3 hours actually playing ) where I am yet to kill anything . I haven’t even punched  anything . 

can anyone think of a major release ( outside of the obvious non combat games like Forza, FIFA et al) where you don’t actually damage anything in the opening stages at least? 

Dragon Quest VII. It’s a good five hours or so before you get into a fight.

41 minutes ago, Mafro said:

This is kinda reminding me of No Man's Sky at launch. Menial tasks with not much to do outside of that, but I can't stop playing it.

I was thinking earlier “this is Elite without any space ships”.

The technology of the cutscenes is really impressive, but Christ this one is like a deleted scene from The Room.

• Upvote 2