rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

Just finished chapter two, after a very tense hike through mountains taking out BTs. Then as I descended to my goal music kicked in and I had a genuine OMFG moment

I can totally understand people not liking this. But fuck me I love it. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Thor said:

EI7YeUaXYAEND1Q?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Just look at it, it's fucking stunning.

The game, however, is fucking dogshit. I've had enough. The bike traversal was the final nail for me, it's atrocious. Additionally, moving through these vistas wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the BTs. Every time I hit some rain, it's obvious BT's are near, and my reaction is always 'for fuck's sake' ... that's pretty much the opposite of the reaction I want the games I play to elicit. 

This is not for me.

Yep, it sounds like this won’t be for me. Never mind.

30 minutes ago, spanx said:

Just finished chapter two, after a very tense hike through mountains taking out BTs. Then as I descended to my goal music kicked in and I had a genuine OMFG moment

FUCK IT, sounds ace. I’m back in!

:blink:

• Upvote 7

I just don’t know how I feel about this - on one hand it looks stunning from the streams I’ve looked at but it also looks both frustrating and boring. 
 Then I read people’s opinions here and it reads like it’s something I should experience - I think it’s one to put on my £30 or under on the 2nd hand market pile. 

This is kinda reminding me of No Man's Sky at launch. Menial tasks with not much to do outside of that, but I can't stop playing it.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Another thing . I can’t remember the last “triple a”. Game where I am a good 5 hours (although probably only 3 hours actually playing ) where I am yet to kill anything . I haven’t even punched  anything . 

can anyone think of a major release ( outside of the obvious non combat games like Forza, FIFA et al) where you don’t actually damage anything in the opening stages at least? 

Dragon Quest VII. It’s a good five hours or so before you get into a fight.

41 minutes ago, Mafro said:

This is kinda reminding me of No Man's Sky at launch. Menial tasks with not much to do outside of that, but I can't stop playing it.

I was thinking earlier “this is Elite without any space ships”.

The technology of the cutscenes is really impressive, but Christ this one is like a deleted scene from The Room.

• Upvote 2

In chapter 3 at the moment and the game is opening up a bit. I've got tools that allow me to deal with BTs now and it's made those sequences a lot more enjoyable. New traversal options and fast travel have made getting about a lot easier. I'm having a great time moving stuff about and working with other players on big building projects like roads and stuff.

It's such a weird game, but I'm having a good time with it!

• Upvote 1

Well I’m getting the hang of it now.

Ran away from some dudes and dropped all my stuff. They then picked it up and ran off with it.

Crafting stuff is cool. Just raided some camp and found a bunch of stuff other players had lost and the people had stolen. So I got it back and delivered it.

Getting s fair few likes from people using my stuff. The online player/community thing is kinda cool.

2 hours ago, spanx said:

Ha, I think I had that moment too. It seems to to happen more naturally then when other games do this too (RDR2) where there isn't a clear trigger where it happens. 

Can anyone at chapter 3+ answer me this?

I'm not at chapter 3 yet, I've not used any vehicles. I'm sure I picked up a generator and Mama was saying I could use it to generate vehicles. Yet when I returned to that bike outside one of the earlier facilities I still couldn't use the bake and the generator is nowhere in my cargo/storage etc. Confused.

20 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Their loss as far as I have experienced thus far .

yeah after listening to those two podcasts back to back it seems like it was just not great. “It’s just kojima bs”, “I’ve never hated  playing a game as much as this game”. “The same credits playing multiple times”, “end game just not resolving very well”  That second quote from one of the guys that adores Metal Gear Solid and was really looking forward to this game. 

stark contrast to this thread. I’ll probably wait a bit before buying. Kojima games tend to generally break my brain anyway and his stories are mental. Sometimes a bit too mental. 

11 hours ago, Capwn said:

Ha, I think I had that moment too. It seems to to happen more naturally then when other games do this too (RDR2) where there isn't a clear trigger where it happens. 

Can anyone at chapter 3+ answer me this?

I'm not at chapter 3 yet, I've not used any vehicles. I'm sure I picked up a generator and Mama was saying I could use it to generate vehicles. Yet when I returned to that bike outside one of the earlier facilities I still couldn't use the bake and the generator is nowhere in my cargo/storage etc. Confused.

You have to built the generator to charge the bike. Then you can take it over a rocky slope frantically trying to avoid the BTs, get off when you get stuck without looking where you are, slide, fall, drop your cargo and damage everything, then run away to escape and reach your quest destination only to realize you have left the cargo you need on the bike.

But, yeah, you need to build the generator. 

:coffee:

• Upvote 2

Early days, but I am enjoying this.

Didn't think I would, but I like the solitude and the soundtrack songs in the wilderness.

It is basically 'Duke Of Edinburgh Award - The Videogame.'

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, Majora said:

Do most games usually try to simulate an entire country, and one of the largest in the world at that, though? Obviously all game worlds are an illusion in terms of relative size but they usually try to simulate cities, towns or smaller regions where you can suspend your disbelief more. There is something about claiming you're crossing the entirety of America and then presenting you with a map the size of a GTA region map that breaks the illusion more than in most instances I think.

is it actually portraying America though? The crew did that and (whisper: it didn’t make it particularly good or fun to play).

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

I've eaten 3 bugs and done 17 shits.

Have you played the game yet though?

• Upvote 6

I got the bike. I didn’t fall off or damage any of my cargo. I did however run over a fool who dared to diss me.

The handling is tosh. When Japan discovers physics, we’re in for a treat. Till then.....

Also how long before someone mods the PC version of the game to have a Trump baby in a jar.

Really loving this so far, however how do I get rid of the track name when one starts playing? Irritates the shit out of me and just stays there for the entire song.

• Upvote 1

I’m in the loving this camp and can’t say I’ve had any moments of boredom yet and I’m just starting chapter 3.

The only frustrating bit I had was losing my bike and cargo on a peak and not being able to find it after a BT encounter and having to reload a past save. Plus the needless way you have to park your bike to repair it. 

Spoiler

The BT sections are good but undeveloped as it would it be good if they mixed up these encounters a few ways, rather than just climbing higher out of the tar and them being triggered by the rain.

The graphic quality of it though is amazing and looking forward to getting back on it.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Steven said:

Really loving this so far, however how do I get rid of the track name when one starts playing? Irritates the shit out of me and just stays there for the entire song.

I was sad when it stopped doing that

It’s a lot of words to write it’s a shiny walking simulator :)?

I tell you what makes a huge difference, real actors. I sat and watched the ending last night and it was just like watching a blockbuster movie, it was epic. The mo cap is something else. Didn’t know wtf was going on though looking forward to some plot summaries of this beautiful mess 

• Upvote 1

Let's all be honest, if this wasn't a Kojima game, you'd all be slating it. The visuals are incredible, story original, but the gameplay... is not fun.

Can't help but feel that 10 years ago, I would have seen this through to the finish. But now that free time is short, I'm just going to trade this in and wait for the cutscenes compilation on Youtube.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 3

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ve never properly played a Kojima game. Aside from about three hours of MGS5. Which I didn’t like at all. 

I can’t disagree with any of the negative reviews I’ve seen. It is boring. It is fiddly. But can’t stop playing it

• Upvote 1