rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Because you move way slower! It takes seconds of experimenting to realise this. 

Holding the straps all the time does stabilise you but you’ll lightly jog along. 

Balance yourself carefully and move in a straight line without holding the buttons and you’re much quicker 

Yeah L2 + R2 is last resort.

There's a 1.05 patch this morning but it won't download for me, must be borked so I'm expecting they'll have it sorted later today. Fingers crossed for some quality of life tweaks!

4 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

There's a 1.05 patch this morning but it won't download for me, must be borked so I'm expecting they'll have it sorted later today. Fingers crossed for some quality of life tweaks!

Keep hitting resume

18 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Keep hitting resume

Thanks a lot, that did the trick.

Bah, according to the patch notes this one just contains "various performance improvements". Why that takes an extra gigabyte of storage space is anyone's guess.

Basically I don't want to make upcoming story missions too easy, there's clearly a pace the devs have in mind and if I have too many tools and high stats I feel like that'll reduce some of the challenge. And I really like the challenging treks in this game, its where all the systems come together and you get a real sense of achievement getting through it. I already unlocked some very useful upgrades from side missions so I just don't want to overdo it.

34 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Basically I don't want to make upcoming story missions too easy, there's clearly a pace the devs have in mind and if I have too many tools and high stats I feel like that'll reduce some of the challenge. And I really like the challenging treks in this game, its where all the systems come together and you get a real sense of achievement getting through it. I already unlocked some very useful upgrades from side missions so I just don't want to overdo it.

Totally get what you mean. Absolutely loving how absorbing it is to have to really think about your journey and your approach. The steady trickle of tools is brilliant and builds up  your options and available strategies like MGS V.

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

Don’t worry about this, trust me.

I’m up to episode 8 and about 50-odd hours in, so have seen a lot of what’s coming your way.

The fact that you have to extend chiral network coverage before you can see and utilise structures in newly discovered areas ensures that there’s always a challenge before you, regardless of your equipment and stats.

Just as you’re getting complacent and beginning to think that nothing can stop you charging across the landscape the game will mix it up and throw some significant environmental obstacles in your way and present twists to the formula in later episodes that’ll laugh in the face of your juicy upgrades. The way they’ve judged and balanced your progression through the game in this regard is beautifully done, I’ve found. 

I won’t give anything away but you’ll be challenged in ways you hadn’t thought of and you’re in for an absolute treat both in gameplay and narrative terms.

In short: keep on keeping on!

• Upvote 1

So I was pretty apprehensive about this but generally positive feedback on here encouraged me to buy it.

Im at a point where I basically fucked up the mission twice and had to reload from my save, and it wasn’t fun.

i want to progress the story without it feeling too monotonous. I don’t mind a challenge either but there’s clearly a few things I’m not getting.

Mainly the BTs, I think, the kinda black sludge swap creatures? Just as I was getting close to my objective these fuckers just appeared and hauled me down, spilling my cargo only for it to get lost up the river and I failed. Is there some technique to avoid these damn things? 

Obviously it suggests to crouch and hold your breath but that wasn’t working too well. 

4 hours ago, cohen205 said:

From reading this thread, Im really excited about playing this on Saturday.

Someone please temper my expectations.

Nah, it's really, genuinely good.

3 hours ago, kthxbliz said:

So I was pretty apprehensive about this but generally positive feedback on here encouraged me to buy it.

Im at a point where I basically fucked up the mission twice and had to reload from my save, and it wasn’t fun.

i want to progress the story without it feeling too monotonous. I don’t mind a challenge either but there’s clearly a few things I’m not getting.

Mainly the BTs, I think, the kinda black sludge swap creatures? Just as I was getting close to my objective these fuckers just appeared and hauled me down, spilling my cargo only for it to get lost up the river and I failed. Is there some technique to avoid these damn things? 

Obviously it suggests to crouch and hold your breath but that wasn’t working too well. 

The odradek (spinning thing on your shoulder connected to BB) gives you all the information you need. It will always point towards the nearest BT and its colour and interval between pulses tell you how close the BT is. 

Light blue and infrequent pulse: BT is near but you're in no immediate danger. Walk slowly and it won't notice you.

Light blue and more frequent pulsing: BT is getting nearer. Crouch down and move more cautiously.

Orange and more rapid pulse: BT is now dangerously close. You should be crouched and moving in opposite direction. 

Bright orange and very rapid pulsing: BT is on brink of noticing you. Hold your breath, stay crouched and move away immediately but don't run or else it'll see you.

As well as the above you need to be pressing R1 regularly to have BB send out a pulse scan that will show the shadowy figure of BTs hovering in the air briefly if they're in close enough proximity. You can also click the right stick to change the view to your opposite shoulder, which is handy if you're carrying a lot of cargo and it's obscuring the odradek.

Not sure if you're there yet but fairly early on you'll be given access to certain items derived from your own bodily fluids which can be a great help. They work as follows: (spoilered in case anyone doesn't want to know what they are/work it out for themselves)

Spoiler

EX Grenade 0: obtained from taking a shower and when thrown on an area will show BT's locations.

EX Grenade 1: obtained from taking a piss in the private room and will cause BTs to move away from the area it's thrown at.

EX Grenade 2: obtained from taking a dump and will attract BTs to the area at which it's thrown.

If they see you and come after you (you'll start to see their black handprints on the ground coming towards you and the odradek/BB will go bananas when this happens) then sometimes you can still escape them if you don't panic. Hold your breath and move away staying crouched and you can often move out of their sensing range before they grab you.

If they do grab you then all bets are off and you just have to struggle and fight your way out of the black goo. Or you can also piss on them as this will cause them to flee. :)

If you follow the above and stay crouched and cautious when moving through a BT area then there's really no reason why they should ever get you. Later in the game you'll be given all sorts of tools to deal with them but for now it's an elaborate game of hide and seek.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

What’s the deal with post boxes and how you used them? I didn’t have time last night to understand it. 

Postboxes let you (or other players) deposit lost cargo and equipment in a safe place out in the field rather than just dumping it to be consumed by the timefall.

If you're carrying too much lost cargo and want to lighten the load then you can deposit some of it in a postbox (the 'Make Delivery' option) and it'll complete the delivery but at a drastically reduced rate of likes than if you'd actually delivered it to its intended destination.

If you 'Entrust Cargo for Delivery' then it will remain in that postbox and anyone else coming along can pick it up from the shared locker and either deliver it to its intended destination themselves or entrust it for someone else to deliver at another location further down the line. Everyone who contributed to the delivery chain will gain likes when the cargo is finally delivered and the longer this chain ends up being the more likes everyone will get. It's intended to encourage co-operation but it's dependent on someone picking it up and actually delivering it and there's a chance this may not happen, so it's best not to use this option if it's important cargo or for a delivery location that you're really interested in raising your connection with.

You or other players can also deposit unneeded equipment in the shared locker too, to help others along. Sort of like a little gift package left out in the wilds for lonely wanderers. Or you can use the private locker function to store equipment and/or cargo that only you have access to, should you be passing back that way again (you could store a bunch of ladders or climbing ropes next to some cliffs, for example).

They're not essential but they can be useful and are primarily intended to encourage players to deposit cargo throughout the world and ensure that it all ends up getting to its destination eventually.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Because you move way slower! It takes seconds of experimenting to realise this.

Really? I mean in theory that makes total sense but I’m sat here trying it and it doesn’t seem to make any discernible difference to my movement speed.

1 hour ago, cohen205 said:

From reading this thread, Im really excited about playing this on Saturday.

Someone please temper my expectations.

I played the first two hours last night and found it pretty dull but I'm holding off on saying anything too scathing until I've invested a reasonable amount of time in it as in reality all I really did was carry a body up a hill with no tools or equipment and watch loads of (admittedly nicely produced) cutscenes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's a slow-burner for sure but those who stick with it are amply rewarded both in terms of the frankly bonkers story and expansion of the game's core mechanics and the many approaches it ends up offering you. It's far, far more than just a pretty walking simulator.

Its measured pace and extended moments of contemplative solitude definitely won't be for everyone, I can accept that, but I do wonder how many of those who reviewed it poorly or gave up on it early would have changed their minds if they'd had a little more patience with it. It goes to some fucking insane places later on, both literally and figuratively.

12 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Really? I mean in theory that makes total sense but I’m sat here trying it and it doesn’t seem to make any discernible difference to my movement speed.

try clicking L3 to toggle run on/off 

I had a good first session and will shortly be diving back in. I think I know where the poster above failed because that was the hardest stretch yet with the fast running river and the fairly large area of rain, and I had to restart that section after being swept away by the current.  The experience seems highly scripted so far other than the choices you make as to equipment and optional cargo pick ups, but it certainly has something.

The font size isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I've remembered my irritation with the awkward and poorly designed options button on the controller.  Wanna bring out the map whilst being stealthy - inadvertently yell "it's SAM " instead.

• Upvote 1

Maybe it’s just me, but I think this would have a certain extra something if you played it in VR or with the Ring Fit gameplay, jogging and straining your way across the landscape. Conversely I’m not sure  Death Stranding’s gameplay would work very well in the Ring Fit universe, Norman Reedus battling Dragaux etc.

• Upvote 1

I just got to the

Chiral Artist

and I'm wondering if Kojima allowed his four year old niece to write that substory. Ho-lee shit, that's bad writing.

Kojima's good with concepts, but my God he need someone to stab him in the leg with a pencil when he gets carried away writing dialogue. Whenever he reveals something he then spends about five hours ramming it home. I swear, there's been multiple times when a character will explain something and then a new character will appear and explain the same Goddamn thing immediately in almost the same Goddamn words.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Guys, I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this and also a Pro. Is there any noticeable difference to it running on a Pro?

I’m running it on a base PS4 slim and it looks amazing on my 4K TV with HDR, to the point I’m not bothered about upgrading really. 

• Upvote 1

My bike has disappeared. I fell off it while driving over a tiny stream and couldn’t find it so thought I’d make the delivery on foot as it wasn’t far. But the bike has gone completely. Do vehicles get stolen if you leave them?

Thanks for the tips, I went back and somehow had a slightly easier time and got the mission done.

Ive just made it to the wind farm, by the skin of my teeth, another hairy encounter with BTs has left me pretty tired and my BB has caught a cold again and can no longer detect swamp beasties. 

To my surprise there seems no private room at the wind farm for me to charge up my Bb. What do I do, I’m fairly sure I’ll die with low health and no BB in the route back?

47 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Guys, I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this and also a Pro. Is there any noticeable difference to it running on a Pro?

Honestly, they've optimised the game incredibly well it would seem, so I'd not buy a Pro for it, if you've got a standard PS4.

Obviously, if you don't have a PS4, then buy a Pro.

Or - and this is what the cool kids are doing - buy a stupidly expensive and powerful PC, wait until summer and buy it then.

And then don't ever play it, because you'll be fucking about with some 2d indie game that absorbs your attention to such an extent that you start to wear adult diapers instead of going to the toilet like a normal person.

I'd choose the third option.

My house smells funny.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

My bike has disappeared. I fell off it while driving over a tiny stream and couldn’t find it so thought I’d make the delivery on foot as it wasn’t far. But the bike has gone completely. Do vehicles get stolen if you leave them?

I like how this could easily be a post of yours in off topic about something that’s happened to you.

• Upvote 5