rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

There must be road sections that havent been built yet

Ah- maybe I misunderstood. You have to build all the roads over the whole map? I thought it was just the first bit. That will take ages!

42 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

Ah- maybe I misunderstood. You have to build all the roads over the whole map? I thought it was just the first bit. That will take ages!

Everyone contributes to the road building, so over time more roads appear, but they also decay due to timefall. Like @Gizamaluke says, just go to a 3D road printer and feed it materials.

Its actually really satisfying creating a new stretch of road, and you get literally thousands of likes for it.

I spent a whole afternoon just building roads and lugging around metal and ceramics and ended up with something like 60,000 player likes. It genuinely felt good to be helping people.

43 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Everyone contributes to the road building, so over time more roads appear, but they also decay due to timefall. Like @Gizamaluke says, just go to a 3D road printer and feed it materials.

Its actually really satisfying creating a new stretch of road, and you get literally thousands of likes for it.

I’ve built loads of road sections by myself but the mission is still incomplete. Do I have to build every road?

14 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I’ve built loads of road sections by myself but the mission is still incomplete. Do I have to build every road?

Definitely not . Did you try submitting material to the very first 3D printer outside lake knot city ? 

42 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Definitely not . Did you try submitting material to the very first 3D printer outside lake knot city ? 

I added material but before I accepted the order. When I went there after accepting, it had already been finished and I couldn’t do anything. I’m pretty sure it’s a bug.

Most of the roads in the middle region are done now. It was only last night after about 30 hours of gameplay I noticed that order was still hanging about and directing me to that auto paver.

I think I’m going to just demolish and rebuild that first road to see if it completes the mission.

2 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I added material but before I accepted the order. When I went there after accepting, it had already been finished and I couldn’t do anything. I’m pretty sure it’s a bug.

Most of the roads in the middle region are done now. It was only last night after about 30 hours of gameplay I noticed that order was still hanging about and directing me to that auto paver.

I think I’m going to just demolish and rebuild that first road to see if it completes the mission.

You should be able to add materials because the roads decay. Just remember if you demolish that road you are demolishing it for everyone . To be fair I’m not sure you will be able to Do it ? Can you actually demolish roads ?

23 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

You should be able to add materials because the roads decay. Just remember if you demolish that road you are demolishing it for everyone . To be fair I’m not sure you will be able to Do it ? Can you actually demolish roads ?

You only demolish stuff in your game. It doesn't affect other players.

18 minutes ago, AI1 said:

You only demolish stuff in your game. It doesn't affect other players.

In any case I was thinking of demolishing and rebuilding immediately. I’ve got loads of materials from clearing out the mule camps.

Too much material - I’ve started putting it in share lockers to get rid of it.

1 hour ago, Monkeyspill said:

It could be that you have to use the materials they specifically gave you for that mission to build the road as well. If you've still got that mission in your Orders Menu (the one you get to by pressing Options), then cancel the order manually from there. Then the mission materials will get sent back to your private locker where you got assigned the mission (presumably Lake Knot City). Just a guess, you may be able to use any materials you like. I don't think I even got that mission as I built the road really early on.

49 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

In any case I was thinking of demolishing and rebuilding immediately. I’ve got loads of materials from clearing out the mule camps.

Too much material - I’ve started putting it in share lockers to get rid of it.

Same problem today, too many special alloys on the wrong side of the map to have any use. So I've been looking on the map for player shared structures where they have the hands icon for requesting upgrades. If you want to be nice you can head off to them and help to upgrade, which costs loads. Also the timefall has started deteriorating some pretty useful structures in the early parts of the map for me, so I've been spending materials on upgrading or repairing the ones I use the most. It's expensive so as long as you have a vehicle its quite productive to keep hold of those excess materials. Don't forget you can also recycle it at any UCA building to add it to their stores instead of clogging up lockers.

4 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

It could be that you have to use the materials they specifically gave you for that mission to build the road as well. If you've still got that mission in your Orders Menu (the one you get to by pressing Options), then cancel the order manually from there. Then the mission materials will get sent back to your private locker where you got assigned the mission (presumably Lake Knot City). Just a guess, you may be able to use any materials you like. I don't think I even got that mission as I built the road really early on.

Same problem today, too many special alloys on the wrong side of the map to have any use. So I've been looking on the map for player shared structures where they have the hands icon for requesting upgrades. If you want to be nice you can head off to them and help to upgrade, which costs loads. Also the timefall has started deteriorating some pretty useful structures in the early parts of the map for me, so I've been spending materials on upgrading or repairing the ones I use the most. It's expensive so as long as you have a vehicle its quite productive to keep hold of those excess materials. Don't forget you can also recycle it at any UCA building to add it to their stores instead of clogging up lockers.

I recycled it at first - until I maxed out the storage capacity. What is special alloy used for? I’ve got absolutely loads of it.

Just now, Monkeyspill said:

I recycled it at first - until I maxed out the storage capacity. What is special alloy used for? I’ve got absolutely loads of it.

PSC lvl 2 structures

Timefall shelters, bunkers etc

just had a lovely encounter with 3 mules who tried to bum rush me coming from far away, I kept cool and smashed those stick up kids with smoke grenades  and hit the last one in the chops with a case of metal that was in my hand. 

I love this game.

• Upvote 6

Ok, finally finished this. 53 hours, 15,000 likes.

Right, firstly SCREW YOU whichever journalist said there was a 2 hour cut scene towards the end! I said it back then that this was click-bait and yeah, it really was. Honestly, in the entire game the longest cutscene is maybe 15-20mins. There are a lot of cut scenes towards the end but like I guessed it's broken up with interactions/decision making/traveling etc. It really winds me up as I know people would have read '2 hour cutscene' and that alone would rub them the wrong way. This game is nowhere near the insanity of MGS4 when it comes to cut scenes.

that said there are some really baffling odd moments where you think 'Why are you making me do this Kojima?!' but in hindsight these often seemingly tedious moments added to a sense of confusion. These moments generally work but on occasion I feel some of these moments backfire if you don't react the way Kojima wants you to. He'll want you to do something every specific that some people won't even see as an option etc. The times these moments DO work however are really special.

Anyway, really enjoyed the refreshing pacing and style of this game. There WERE perhaps 3-4 times I got SUPER frustrated with it because I FELT like if I were to 'die' then I'd lose LOADS of progress so there was a real tension when under any attack. It's odd because realistically dying isn't that big a deal, there is always a way to return relatively quickly but at the time it can feel like you're about to lose EVERYTHING. If you go on LONG trips, I would advice to often save the game just for peace of mind if you find yourself getting frustrated.

No idea what the story was about but I loved trying to follow the oddness of it all. The motion performances really add to this, the animation in particular is really a pivotal moment I believe. We're now starting to really see some super subtle nuances in the face that we're not used to seeing in games. This mixed with the lighting and rendering really makes this the best looking characters in a game yet, even Uncharted4. The skin shaders especially are incredible, that's usually something that ends up looking a little plastic even in huge games like RDR2 and GodOfWar. 

The best part for me was the feeling of isolation and the weird joy of feeling fatigued at the end of a long journey, it doesn't work all the time but in certain missions you find yourself in your own little story that is unique to you. Where the final stretch to your destination feels unbelievable considering what you just went through, giving you time to think about what happened to you and how to adapt/adjust for your next outing. 

I'm now really looking forward to watching videos on discussions, making of, ending explained, studies, interviews etc on it that I've been holding off until finishing it. 

• Upvote 7

I had a fight with about 10 mules and loaded the wrong ammo into my grenade launcher. I killed one of them and that was tense. I got rid of the body in tar, thank god.

• Upvote 2

Regarding mules:

Have you tried fighting them purely with the strand? It’s really easy to take out a whole camp with it - it feels like cheating. You don’t need to sneak up on them.

I was just fleeing some MULEs on my trike, looking back at them as they ineffectually threw their sizzle-javelins after me and I rode headfirst into a fucking hidden tectonic fracture. Shat myself. The bike blew up, it nearly killed jar-baby, and my cargo was tossed far and wide. Awesome.

However, I lost a story-critical package as a result, so have reloaded an earlier save. Let’s try that jump again!

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Those automated delivery things are a bit useless, aren’t they. Surprised they aren’t covered in DPD logos.

Yeah, I was left wondering if I missed something with that. At the time I was happy not having to worry about them but imagined that it would later be possible to manually alter their course for better results. I was also hoping to see other people's bots in the field. Perhaps you find someone's bot has got stuck and you can clear it's path so it can continue. 

• Upvote 1

Black Friday has Days Gone nowhere near half price unfortunately. Unless they do a flash deal on the day this isn't in the PSN sale. I'm keeping an eye out for semi-reasonable physical copies in the next week.

Man, zip lines are amazing.

Mountainous zones are super tough to traverse so I spent like 45 mins making a zip line route over the mountains from Mountain Knot City to the Weather Station, via the Roboticist. Now I can blitz over the mountains and 2 confirmed BT zones in like a minute.

It’s genius!

• Upvote 2

Later I believe, not too much after. 

I found myself returning to this tonight after finishing it. To anyone who has finished it...

Spoiler

Chapter 15, it's not leading to anything right? It's just a narrative excuse to keep playing?