Jump to content
rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Later I believe, not too much after. 

 

I found myself returning to this tonight after finishing it. To anyone who has finished it...

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Chapter 15, it's not leading to anything right? It's just a narrative excuse to keep playing? 

 

 

Spoiler

Yep. It's just a way to allow you to get trophies and mop up anything you didn't clear in your initial playthrough. No additional narrative or cutscenes as far as I'm aware.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clocked it last might, a few minutes under 50 hours. I didn’t do too many side missions (or build much, I had a feeling I wasn’t paying my weight all the way through but I had a mission to complete so thanks to the people who put those things down. I know at least that I made a very good zip line.)

 

Some of it is a bit bonkers and indulgent for sure but I mostly loved the ending and it is my GoTY. 
 

Also, I managed to hold out listening to the track Chvrches did so it was really great hearing that finally. Looking forward to mopping things up in the post end game, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has this been posted yet? (Probably some spoilers.)

 

 

 

I haven't played the game myself but I always like Dunkey's reviews. I think the most interesting thing about the whole game is how far it's divided critics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Has this been posted yet? (Probably some spoilers.)

 

 

 

I haven't played the game myself but I always like Dunkey's reviews. I think the most interesting thing about the whole game is how far it's divided critics.


I do get the impression that he’s playing it badly for the lols in a lot of places. He could easily have made the jump in the last bit in the truck if he’d hit boost in the run up, for example.

 

I mean, that is his thing, right? He makes videos of his characters in games falling over a lot and laughs and swears.

 

Death Stranding is probably the first game I can appreciate why other people might hate it when I think it’s brilliant. It would be beyond me, for example, to imagine why anyone wouldn’t think Overwatch is incredible but I get why this might not be your thing. That said, making a video of yourself deliberately fucking things up is a bit cheap. “Hey, this game is about analysing a good route and managing your load out, so I’m going to overload and try and climb things I can’t climb so when I fall over I can say it’s shit” is pretty much what I got from that.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Strafe said:


I do get the impression that he’s playing it badly for the lols in a lot of places. He could easily have made the jump in the last bit in the truck if he’d hit boost in the run up, for example.

 

I mean, that is his thing, right? He makes videos of his characters in games falling over a lot and laughs and swears.

 

Death Stranding is probably the first game I can appreciate why other people might hate it when I think it’s brilliant. It would be beyond me, for example, to imagine why anyone wouldn’t think Overwatch is incredible but I get why this might not be your thing. That said, making a video of yourself deliberately fucking things up is a bit cheap. “Hey, this game is about analysing a good route and managing your load out, so I’m going to overload and try and climb things I can’t climb so when I fall over I can say it’s shit” is pretty much what I got from that.

 

Aye, I've taken it with a pinch of salt. At the same time, however, I do find that, on the whole, in tend to agree with his taste in games and I dislike certain games (or certain things within games) for the same reasons that he does.

 

I'm going to play DS myself at some point and make my own mind up, but I do get the impression that if you were setting out to not like it, doing so would be very easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you got the Special Edition of this from Shopto, and like me don't pay too close attention, log in to your account and visit "Digital Items" to get six DLC things like gold bullshit, a PS4 theme and a PSN avatar. Probably something similar at other retailers?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

 

I'm going to play DS myself at some point and make my own mind up, but I do get the impression that if you were setting out to not like it, doing so would be very easy.


That’s because it’s very easy to miss the point of the game.

 

Comments like “all you do is deliver stuff” or “walking simulator” have completed missed what the game is trying to do. Delivering stuff is a means to an end, it’s like playing Halo and saying all you do is shoot stuff.

 

The bigger picture is everyone helping each other to build America. When you think like this and you think about how you’re going to go about doing it, then you view the game very differently. Experiencing something arduous and thinking “you know what, I’m gonna put a bridge there and make it easier”. So you earn the materials, build the bridge and you start getting likes from other players because they used that bridge and it helped them on their trek. That’s when you realise.

 

The game isn’t for everyone. Some people will have no interest in doing this type of thing, and that’s fine, but you have to realise that’s what the game is before you write it off. This is something many reviews haven’t done.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Strafe said:


Death Stranding is probably the first game I can appreciate why other people might hate it when I think it’s brilliant.

 

I haven't got it yet because I haven't worked out whether I would love it or hate it. 

Partly because I don't really like reading too much about games before I play them, to avoid spoilers.

I love Fallout (even 4 and especially the building bits), Dark Souls, Silent Hill, most games with roguelike or Metroidvania elements, and games with strong storylines. I don't particularly like the Metal Gear Solid series - I played 1 and 2, but the cutscene/ end-of-game sequence in 2 put me off the series for life. And games with stupid/ impenetrable stories.  Am I likely to enjoy this?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I don't particularly like the Metal Gear Solid series - I played 1 and 2, but the cutscene/ end-of-game sequence in 2 put me off the series for life. And games with stupid/ impenetrable stories.  Am I likely to enjoy this?

 

Tricky question, it's certainly Kojima's most forgiving game. Most people will be able to finish it if they have the time. The cutscenes and 'codec talk' are clearly reduced from the likes of MGS 1-4. The story however is just as 'stupid' and 'impenetrable' as ever. To be honest, I can't imagine that anyone who did not enjoy the MGS games (1-4) would love this but I could be wrong? If there was any element of MGS5 that someone enjoyed in terms of game systems/mechanics, I could see them enjoying this.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

If you got the Special Edition of this from Shopto, and like me don't pay too close attention, log in to your account and visit "Digital Items" to get six DLC things like gold bullshit, a PS4 theme and a PSN avatar. Probably something similar at other retailers?

 

I only bought the peasant edition but I have a code. No idea what it’s for. Thanks for the tip. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started chapter 3 and after some immediate bad stealth had to kick the shit out of literally everyone. Then...

 

Spoiler

It popped up a message saying this area was now passable to Porters for a period of time. And now I got about 50,000 likes in an hour for people using a road I’d supposedly repaired but seeing as I haven’t fully topped off any of the repair things, I think that’s for de-MULE-ing the play area. Feels good! My Bridge Links are now hilariously disproportionate to everything else but it’s launched me to porter level 160 or something almost instantly. :lol: 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I’m in the closing stretch now...

 

Spoiler

Just beaten Higgs in the face, with some nice slo-mo fist meeting jaw close ups. 


I’ve just come through a bit of a couple hours of fatigue, but then a bit of music swoops in, you polish off a really tough hike, and it’s got me again. 
 

Given there’s not much of note on the horizon might even go for the platinum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 hours in and into Episode 5. This is utterly amazing.


End of episode 3:

Spoiler

That Fragile/Higgs scene in the rain was dark and nasty. Also the whole nuke delivery mission was clever, and caught me out. Boom!

 

Episode 4:

Spoiler

Holy shit, never expected a WWI trench shoot-em-up to be in this. Crazy stuff.


Early episode 5:

Spoiler

Wow at that Mama backstory. Powerful and pretty grim stuff with her BT-baby.


There really is absolutely nothing else remotely like this. Can’t wait to see where it goes. And the fact I have literally no fucking inkling, unlike with most other AAA games, is hugely engaging.

 

Play it. Just play it.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished this.. and wow loved it. The final chapters had me totally hooked. 

 

It might be a bit all over the place gameplay wise but I just rolled with that Kojima weirdness and had an absolute blast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cohen205 said:

I think I have a problem.

 

 

Im addicted to building roads.


Same

 

Pretty much single handedly built the mountain road heading west a couple of days back. Now my priority seems to have shifted to building out a zipline network to support it. I probably should just finish the bloody story

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

Episode 5:

 

Why are the mules still coming for me when all I’m carrying is

  Reveal hidden contents

Mama

.

 

I thought they were supposed to ignore you unless you’re carrying valuables.

No ladders, anchors , weapons, container spray etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

Episode 5:

 

Why are the mules still coming for me when all I’m carrying is

  Reveal hidden contents

Mama

.

 

I thought they were supposed to ignore you unless you’re carrying valuables.


If it’s the area I think it is, then it’s a terrorist group who attack regardless. You do get told about them from Die-Hardman.

You can tell because if you’re pinged is leaves an outline of you rather than your swag.

 

You should negate their ping with your upgraded one to go undetected...or go around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Goemon said:


If it’s the area I think it is, then it’s a terrorist group who attack regardless. You do get told about them from Die-Hardman.

You can tell because if you’re pinged is leaves an outline of you rather than your swag.

 

You should negate their ping with your upgraded one to go undetected...or go around

They were mules in area with all the crevices. I think I just got too close to them. The terrorist group were easy to go round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spanx said:


Same

 

Pretty much single handedly built the mountain road heading west a couple of days back. Now my priority seems to have shifted to building out a zipline network to support it. I probably should just finish the bloody story


What’s great about this system is that you’d think one would negate the other but they actually have their own place. Zip lines allow you to reach difficult areas quickly and roads allow you to transport larger shipments more easily.

 

I generally dislike sandbox games, I hate spending ages doing stuff but not really ‘achieving’ anything. This game however, the sandbox element has a purpose. You’re looking at the world and making you own entertainment but it actually benefits the world and makes it better. It’s genius.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that’s what’s driving me. The fact that you are actually seeing progress and change in the world you are in.

 

I really like the game, and I didn’t think I would as going from A to B in most open world games can be a bit of a slog usually, but even the running round is fun in this. Especially after a few upgrades. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spanx said:


Same

 

Pretty much single handedly built the mountain road heading west a couple of days back. Now my priority seems to have shifted to building out a zipline network to support it. I probably should just finish the bloody story

 

Yeah I said earlier I was going to do some side questing before continuing the story. I ended up spending a day getting more of the road network up to scratch, repairing old structures and connecting the mountains to the east with 'lines. What an epic personal mission the latter was, climbing to summits fully laden with upgrade materials. One descent was so steep I had to use climbing ropes all the way down from the snowy summit to the grassy slopes, I died 3 times in the process but managed to get the structures in place. Now I have a route spanning from

the Distribution centre south, across to the weather station, up the mountain to the Roboticist, into a little network around mountain knot city. That leads you over to Heartman, or up to the Mountaineer and Spiritualist. Then from her, I have a route going over the peak down to waystation north and downhill back towards lake knot, which finishes close to Peter Englerts territory. So now I can zip from east to west and vice versa in one continuous journey. Next I want to extend the network out to the Geologist, Paelontologist etc but I am seriously low on bandwidth even after having culled a lot of my older structures.

 

With my new transit system in place I smashed out a bunch of side missions and raised my reputation with a bunch of settlements. I ended up unlocking some really handy items (and of course different sunglasses colours, whooopeee....). At the end of the day I probably spent far longer building this stuff than the amount of time it will save me. But I enjoyed the challenge, it was a self-made adventure that was really compelling and satisfying. It has that minecraft hook to it where you really should go to bed but your base (in minecraft) just needs that one improvement, and before you know it its 4am and youve built a castle with moat and an automated farming system.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a couple of hours yesterday just trying to get back to precious cargo I lost while stupidly trying to cross the deep river below the waterfall.

 

I staggered ashore well down river of my haul, and had to parkour repeatedly across the ruins of a shattered bridge. My stamina was fucked so lots of rest and cradling BB was involved. I finally managed to recover my stuff from where it ended up pinned against a wall in deep, fast water, after losing it all a few more times in the process.

 

Fully equipped, and super-careful I tried crossing the ruined bridge a final time to get back to base. But I fucked the jump, fell in and lost the lot again (to my gf’s amusement) and it was now in a literally unrecoverable alcove.

 

I finally admitted defeat, both Sam and I exhausted, and reloaded an earlier save. I could have done that at any point of course, but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute, and the pure roleplaying of the challenge.

 

That said, a zip line network across this river is now on my priority list. :lol:

 

This game. :wub:

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

I think that’s what’s driving me. The fact that you are actually seeing progress and change in the world you are in.

 

I really like the game, and I didn’t think I would as going from A to B in most open world games can be a bit of a slog usually, but even the running round is fun in this. Especially after a few upgrades. 

 

 


This is it.
 

If you play a game and all you do is focus on the A to B then the game is a slog. However if you focus on the bigger picture then the A to B isn’t noticeable, you actually enjoy it. I’m 100% convinced a lot of reviews only focused on the A to B.

 

Here’s a zero review from Metacritic.

 

0

Delivery sh!t for an empty world of a game from start to finish.

9 of 13 found this review useful.

 

Unbelievable.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I had a couple of hours yesterday just trying to get back to precious cargo I lost while stupidly trying to cross the deep river below the waterfall.

 

I staggered ashore well down river of my haul, and had to parkour repeatedly across the ruins of a shattered bridge. My stamina was fucked so lots of rest and cradling BB was involved. I finally managed to recover my stuff from where it ended up pinned against a wall in deep, fast water, after losing it all a few more times in the process.

 

Fully equipped, and super-careful I tried crossing the ruined bridge a final time to get back to base. But I fucked the jump, fell in and lost the lot again (to my gf’s amusement) and it was now in a literally unrecoverable alcove.

 

I finally admitted defeat, both Sam and I exhausted, and reloaded an earlier save. I could have done that at any point of course, but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute, and the pure roleplaying of the challenge.

 

That said, a zip line network across this river is now on my priority list. :lol:

 

This game. :wub:


Brilliant!

 

This is exactly the type of thing they want you to experience from this loop of the game. The term ‘walking simulator’ has already been coined as a derogatory thing but this is why that type gameplay is in there. If this wasn’t here then a number of your treks would be far more uninteresting as you would, literally, just be walking. You also wouldn’t be thinking about how you could make it easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goemon said:


This is it.
 

If you play a game and all you do is focus on the A to B then the game is a slog. However if you focus on the bigger picture then the A to B isn’t noticeable, you actually enjoy it. I’m 100% convinced a lot of reviews only focused on the A to B.

 

To be fair to reviewers, if you're given a strict deadline to finish a large open-world game before the embargo lifts, and you're given the absurd pre-requisite that you must complete the story before you can write a review, you pretty much have no choice but to focus on the A-B. Otherwise, you don't finish the game in time meaning you can't publish a review when the embargo lifts which means you miss out on peak viewer clicks.

 

Ideally you'd either the give the reviewers enough time to play the game at the desired pace or you'd accept that they might not finish the story but as far as I can tell the DS review situation was the worst of both worlds. I'd much rather read a review from someone who didn't complete it but played it as intended than someone who completed the story by rushing from A-B, but that wasn't possible due to the embargo demands.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking in the tail end of the game, where you're asked to do certain things and you encounter certain moments, it must have felt brutally punishing for anyone needing to get this finished ahead of release to write a review.

 

But you know what? I remember 'listening' to the Easy Allies review and it was a very negative sounding review. Then after I finished DS, I listened to their 2 hour spoiler mode and they couldn't have been more positive about it. They really understood what made it good and were just so happy that this kind of game existed. It was really strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.