Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

45 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I love the surreal swerves this throws up sometimes apropos of nothing. While I was soothing BB in the Private Room...

Hide contents

...I got this incredibly weird hallucination sequence where you start punching the pod and BB starts punching its way out.

I had a different one...

Spoiler

I walked over to BB in the rest room, and hes looking away from me, then suddenly he turns around, and he has the head of Deadman (Guillermo Del Toro)

every time I think I’m starting to worry I might get a bit bored with the basic delivery and building aspects of the game it does something new and unexpected, whether it be a new item, location, weapon or the story progresses and I’m in love again. 

I took a MULEs camp for everything it was worth, which turned out to be several truck loads of materials for road-building. If you hit the "call out" button when they're nearby, for example when you're driving past on an elevated roadway and they can't do shit to you, you taunt them. :lol: 

I waved at the friendly Porters this time but they still flinched when they spotted me, I think word got out... D:

20 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I took a MULEs camp for everything it was worth, which turned out to be several truck loads of materials for road-building. If you hit the "call out" button when they're nearby, for example when you're driving past on an elevated roadway and they can't do shit to you, you taunt them. :lol: 

I waved at the friendly Porters this time but they still flinched when they spotted me, I think word got out... D:

I think they should have put a couple more missions in the game where you raid mule camps. I don’t think a lot of people realise the potential for doing this and spend their time avoiding them.

7 hours ago, cohen205 said:

I've realised, whilst playing this game that i love a bit of inventory management.

This is up there with RE4 and BOTW for fiddling about with your cargo.

And Animal Crossing. The soothing rhythms of meticulously organising and moving things.

Finished this two days ago and it’s easily my GOTY. Finished it with 113 hrs on the clock but since then I’ve put in at least a further 10 hours. 

I really pushed to get a 5 star rating on every depot which is why my play time is so long and I feel it’s been a far more rewarding experience doing what I did rather than b-lining your way from story objective to the next.
As much as I really, really enjoyed the weird story and the various unique beats that came with it, interacting with the big delivery sandbox, pushing for 5 stars and building as much stuff as I could to enable that goal was totally compelling and the hours just flew by. A great sign that I was enjoying it so much. 

So yeah, got a few more deliveries left to hit that total 5 star thing, but easy a 9/10 GOTY jobbie for me! 

I haven't completed it yet, in fact I'm only at the point where:

Spoiler

You cut the cord between Mama and baby

But I'm still really enjoying it, and still putting up roads, and making my little deliveries.

I'm taking my sweet time to savour it, and i think this is how the game is meant to be enjoyed. if i had to blast through this for a review deadline, i'd probably hate it!

It's been great reading people's post-completion reflections here...:)

I finally got around the playing this from last Monday, and even though I'm still quite near the beginning am already really enjoying its pacing and world. I can comprehend some of the extreme reactions to the game; had I not been read ahead of time the sort of thing I would be doing, I might've been asking "is this going to be it?" of the gameplay after a few hours. Having said that, its so obviously creative and high quality everything feels so beguiling that it makes you want to keep going regardless. I can't believe how wonderful and addictive it feels to simply walk around and breathe in the bleak virtual air. The social aspect is excellent too.

About the reactions I read before playing...I knew the cinematics and imagery would be really stylish, but was expecting the script to be far more ham-fisted than it is. For some reason I always suspected that some of the most critical reviews had somewhat exaggerated issues in the dialog. Granted, I'm not very far in, so perhaps the worst is yet to come - and I know Hideo's writing in previous games hasn't exactly been their strongest aspect - but I've come across moments already that one or two reviews highlighted as awful (the earliest being the description of the word "strand") and actually found them fine in context. In fact, the script hasn't got in the way at all so far, and the acting is predictably ahead of most other games. For whatever reason the oblique oddness of everything and visual approach renders even the more exposition heavy stretches totally acceptable, and to me the writing is subtler and a big improvement over most of the MGS games. The message and characters are really refreshing. But yes, early days...    

6 hours ago, cohen205 said:

I haven't completed it yet, in fact I'm only at the point where:

Reveal hidden contents

You cut the cord between Mama and baby

But I'm still really enjoying it, and still putting up roads, and making my little deliveries.

I'm taking my sweet time to savour it, and i think this is how the game is meant to be enjoyed. if i had to blast through this for a review deadline, i'd probably hate it!

@cohen205 I’m just on Episode 7, and I have no idea whether that spoiler is remotely safe for me to click. Any clarity on where you are up to, otherwise it’s not very helpful.

15 hours ago, jonamok said:

@cohen205 I’m just on Episode 7, and I have no idea whether that spoiler is remotely safe for me to click. Any clarity on where you are up to, otherwise it’s not very helpful.

Thor has previous for being an over reacting cock, but there we go.

Im at chapter 7 too. 

I am absolutely beasting through side quests in Chapter 3 thanks to other players’ contributions to the road network and my pilfered trucks. I really do wonder whether the limited pre-release player count was sufficient for the game balance, given that many reviewers seemed to be doing this part of the game on foot. I haven’t done a fully on-foot delivery in ages.