rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

I agree, I think the game was released to reviewers too late and the "must complete it" stipulation hindered rather than helped reviewers. This isn't a game where just following the story missions gets you the most out of it. On top of that half the fun of the game is the collaborative stuff like roads and revisiting areas to optimise them. Few of the reviewers would have had any time to indulge in any of that stuff. Compare that to me where I spent like 15 hours or more just pottering sround in episode 3. In addition the side missions actually unlock gear which helps in the tougher story missions.

I watched some of YouTuber Jacksepticeyes pre release playthrough, and he was constantly having server issues. The cooperative aspect is a big part of the game and it seemed shakey at best before release due to the small server population and the servers going down for patches etc before launch. Once Jacksepticeye reached release day, suddenly his world was alive with player structures, the servers were working properly and he was getting all the feedback from the stuff he'd previously built. It changed him from liking the game to loving it, and I wonder how many other reviewers never really got the full experience due to similar issues or just lack of time to enjoy the game at their own pace. Sure its still going to be very divisive, but its like giving someone Animal Crossing with a week to play it and expecting them to appreciate all the depth in there and the stuff that takes ages to pay off.

I suppose it’s a difficult question to answer without having a time machine but do you expect that the experience of playing this now will be enhanced by having a high player base versus playing it early next year? I want to play it but I won’t have the time until then. 

Well I’ve finished the story this afternoon. 

No spoilers, but it ended as brilliantly and enigmatically and weird as it started. 

Unbelievable. Masterpiece. 10/10

GOTY. 

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 2

Now that people are finishing it, what about THAT scene?Felt like a proper pivotal moment in games in terms of tech/performance I think. 

Spoiler

Die Hardman's Confession. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure what game to get next. This one felt genuinely epochal, like BOTW. 

11 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Now that people are finishing it, what about THAT scene?Felt like a proper pivotal moment in games in terms of tech/performance I think. 

Reveal hidden contents

Die Hardman's Confession. 

Yeah, astonishing really.

Spoiler

Did they just jump the uncanny valley in that scene? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spanx said:

Well I’ve finished the story this afternoon. 

No spoilers, but it ended as brilliantly and enigmatically and weird as it started. 

Unbelievable. Masterpiece. 10/10

GOTY. 

Im trying to think what insecurities would lead someone to neg this , but I’m struggling .possed to cancel it out . 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, spanx said:

Yeah, astonishing really.

Hide contents

Did they just jump the uncanny valley in that scene? 

Spoiler

In the 'Mama' scene where she is under the rubble, I felt like the limitations of the tech were really showing there. It worked much better in Hardman's scene because he's often looking downwards during the really intense moments, leaving the viewer to fill in the gaps. Then the moments he does look up with more nuanced expressions, they absolutely nailed it. I can see a lot of devs drawing from that scene as the benchmark of motion capturing face emotion.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Majora said:

To be fair to reviewers, if you're given a strict deadline to finish a large open-world game before the embargo lifts, and you're given the absurd pre-requisite that you must complete the story before you can write a review, you pretty much have no choice but to focus on the A-B. Otherwise, you don't finish the game in time meaning you can't publish a review when the embargo lifts which means you miss out on peak viewer clicks.

Ideally you'd either the give the reviewers enough time to play the game at the desired pace or you'd accept that they might not finish the story but as far as I can tell the DS review situation was the worst of both worlds. I'd much rather read a review from someone who didn't complete it but played it as intended than someone who completed the story by rushing from A-B, but that wasn't possible due to the embargo demands.

What reviewers do you have in mind?

I can only think of one publication in this case that used this as an excuse not to review the game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orbital2060 said:

What reviewers do you have in mind?

I can only think of one publication in this case that used this as an excuse not to review the game.

The point being made above is that many reviews (which for this game are extremely mixed) will have seen the reviewers rush through 50+ hours of game in order to meet the publication requirements set by KojiPro/SIE in order to hit publication deadlines to get clicks when the embargo lifts. Consequently many reviewers may not have had the opportunity to experience all of the systems and content the game has to offer, particular when the asynchronous multiplayer elements rely on other people.

Edge played for 40 hours and were unable to complete the game before print deadlines. They didn't use that as "an excuse" not to provide a score. In fact I imagine they would have been very happy to add a score if KojiPro/SIE would have allowed them to. That they're disinclined to complete the game now so they can add a score in their next issue is a separate thing entirely.

It didnt sound like time was the main issue, more like a lack of sheer willpower to pull through.

They are still the only publication that referred to this in any way from what I have read.  And this is the only time I can remember something like this happening to a major first party release, like ever. They also said the review is not coming in the next issue either so more likely in the next year.

It sounds like a massive cop-out from having to say what you really feel about the game.

22 hours ago, jonamok said:

I had a couple of hours yesterday just trying to get back to precious cargo I lost while stupidly trying to cross the deep river below the waterfall.

I staggered ashore well down river of my haul, and had to parkour repeatedly across the ruins of a shattered bridge. My stamina was fucked so lots of rest and cradling BB was involved. I finally managed to recover my stuff from where it ended up pinned against a wall in deep, fast water, after losing it all a few more times in the process

I had a very similar experience, saw a load of signs in the river and thought I could save a load of time by wading across. Next  thing I was floating down the river trying to stay with the cargo I’d dropped. Kept trying  and failing to fish it out. Was total slapstick 

It's interesting seeing all the praise from players happy that Death Stranding defies convention by just unashamedly being its own thing. But then Shenmue III is all like, hold my beer.

Been a weird couple of months for the people vs the critics.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Finally got my zip line route built right over the mountains. That was quite the cold trek, but now I can get right across that inhospitable section of the map in a minute. And what a stupidly spectacular ride it is too. One of the most rewarding in-game modes of transport I can remember. Fuck you BTs!

Anyway, back to the story for a bit. :wub:

• Upvote 3

Found myself slightly annoyed earlier. A story section interrupted my road building duties. I couldn’t wait to finish the small section so I could get back to hauling metal and ceramics around the map! 

This game, man. 

If someone told me a few months ago that my favourite 2019 game would be a UPS simulator with a massive budget, I would have laughed in their face and gone back to playing my switch. 

• Upvote 3

I love the surreal swerves this throws up sometimes apropos of nothing. While I was soothing BB in the Private Room...

Spoiler

...I got this incredibly weird hallucination sequence where you start punching the pod and BB starts punching its way out.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I love the surreal swerves this throws up sometimes apropos of nothing. While I was soothing BB in the Private Room...

Hide contents

...I got this incredibly weird hallucination sequence where you start punching the pod and BB starts punching its way out.

I had a different one...

Spoiler

I walked over to BB in the rest room, and hes looking away from me, then suddenly he turns around, and he has the head of Deadman (Guillermo Del Toro)

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

every time I think I’m starting to worry I might get a bit bored with the basic delivery and building aspects of the game it does something new and unexpected, whether it be a new item, location, weapon or the story progresses and I’m in love again. 

• Upvote 2