rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

I'm a couple of hours more in now. I'm still enjoying it, but so far it really is a walking simulator with lots of cut-scenes. It's still all very compelling, however.

Do you find out what the hell is going on anytime soon? I'm up to the bit where you agree 

Spoiler

to reconnect all the cities after you speak to the hologram of Amelie, who I think is supposed to be Sam's sister, but then is voiced by the same actress who voiced his mother (I think), before you hauled her corpse up a mountain and burnt her in an incinerator, anyway.

I've figured out some stuff, but I've no idea where the BBs come from, or what's actually happened to the world, or where everyone is, or what Sam was doing prior to the beginning of the game, or why he didn't realise that his mother, who he hadn't seen in years, was the president of the country.

Do you find the answers to this stuff later, or is it all just left to your own imagination?

And done, total play time around the 70 hour mark  . Easily my GOTY by some distance . And it’s probably going on my games of the decade list.

@Jamie John everything gets answered . Eventually , but you are a long long way from that . And the delivery aspect doesn’t change , but your methods of traversal do . 

• Upvote 8

Am I supposed to be putting the lost cargo I find in the letter boxes or not. It says something like 'Entrust to another player', but I'm playing offline. I still seem to get likes for posting them, however. I can't say I understand the Likes system at all.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Am I supposed to be putting the lost cargo I find in the letter boxes or not. It says something like 'Entrust to another player', but I'm playing offline. I still seem to get likes for posting them, however. I can't say I understand the Likes system at all.

Leaving them exposes them to timefall and they will eventually disappear. You get some likes from the player who lost it if you pick it up and entrust it to someone else. You get likes and rep directly from some people if you deliver it to it's destination (essentially completing the delivery.)

I'm post game now. 65 hours to completetion but god help me I'm 80 hours and still going.

• Upvote 1

You can. Or you can deliver them to the destination. You will get more likes if you do this. 

When you say offline do you mean not on PS plus or actually offline/unplugged?

You don’t need PS plus to get the online benefits. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

You can. Or you can deliver them to the destination. You will get more likes if you deliver them to their destination. 

When you say say offline do you mean not on PS plus or actually offline/unplugged?

You don’t need PS plus to get the online benefits. 

I'm not PS Plus but I'm not connected to the network because it needs an update. If I update it an then reconnect will I suddenly see everyone else's ladders and so on everywhere? I quite like how empty it all is at the moment and having to forge your own way.

Well. Yes and no. There will be stuff left by other players, but your world won’t be filled with junk,  everything is limited if you know what I mean. 

If you’ve played Dark souls you’ll get the idea. It is however a big part of the game and I’d hazard a guess will enrich the experience somewhat. Again stuff left by others will deteriorate in the time fall, and you don’t really have to use the stuff. However trudging 5km only to find you need a ladder and haven’t got one can be quite a bind, but oh look, jonnypsz0nerzj001 has left a ladder, the life saving little sausage! 

Plus if you don’t like it, just yank the cable out and go off grid. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

Well. Yes and no. There will be stuff left by other players, but your world won’t be filled with junk,  everything is limited if you know what I mean. 

If you’ve played Dark souls you’ll get the idea. It is however a big part of the game and I’d hazard a guess will enrich the experience somewhat. Again stuff left by others will deteriorate in the time fall, and you don’t really have to use the stuff. However trudging 5km only to find you need a ladder and haven’t got one can be quite a bind, but oh look, jonnypsz0nerzj001 has left a ladder, the life saving little sausage! 

Plus if you don’t like it, just yank the cable out and go off grid. 

Cheers for that. I'll have a go online. It's annoying that you go off again every time you go into suspend mode, though, but I suppose it can't be helped.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I'm not PS Plus but I'm not connected to the network because it needs an update. If I update it an then reconnect will I suddenly see everyone else's ladders and so on everywhere? I quite like how empty it all is at the moment and having to forge your own way.

The way it works is that you won’t see anyone’s structures until you have connected the chiral network for the location . It’s a really good system . 
It will be a real challenge if you don’t make use of this , you really do use the structure other players have built and you will be missing out on the community aspect of it .

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

70 hours? Man I sunk over 120 into this. I delivered a lot and went for full 5 star with each depot. 

I five starred 20 odd locations . I’ll go back and do the ones I haven’t in the post game . I would have done more but the run from chapter 12 onwards doesn’t really give you the opportunity . 

• Upvote 1

After 8 hours of recorded play, I'm still enjoying this a lot and finding it very immersing, especially now that the frequency of the cut-scenes have lessened. It's certainly one of the most unique triple-A games I've ever played, though I can definitely see how people expecting a re-run of MGS V would be very disappointed (I haven't fired a gun or killed anyone yet).

Even though there's not that much to find on the world map, the challenge and satisfaction of getting from A to B with all of your cargo intact makes you feel like you're genuinely exploring and pushing against new frontiers into unknown territory. I can't say I've ever really played anything like it. It's more akin to actual hiking than anything I've ever experienced in a video game: scanning the terrain, picking your route, hoofing your gear up steep inclines one step at time - it gets all of that stuff bang on, and when Sam's over-burdened it really is palpable.

I still haven't figured out what the bloody hell's going on with the story, though. From reading through the interview transcripts that you gradually unlock, I've picked up on the key details, I think. One of the main things I don't get, however, is where the bollocks everyone is. 'Capital' Knot city, for example, seems to consist of a few streets, some dead ends and a dozen body buildings you can't enter, while all of the colonies I've made deliveries to so far are just hollow structures, empty except for a delivery terminal and the hologram who greets you. I'm not sure where all the deliveries I'm making are actually going, or who's making use of them. Is everyone supposed to be underground or something?

Perhaps Sam's actually in purgatory, or he's the only one alive and everyone else is a hologram, or something like that. It sounds suitability Kojima-esque...

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

After 8 hours of recorded play, I'm still enjoying this a lot and finding it very immersing, especially now that the frequency of the cut-scenes have lessened. It's certainly one of the most unique triple-A games I've ever played, though I can definitely see how people expecting a re-run of MGS V would be very disappointed (I haven't fired a gun or killed anyone yet).

I didn't kill anyone in my playthrough but my understanding is that killing anyone is a BAD idea. And it tends to play out if you fight with Mules. These are clumsy affairs with people who aren't skilled fighters and who are also puling their punches!

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

'Capital' Knot city, for example, seems to consist of a few streets, some dead ends and a dozen body buildings you can't enter, while all of the colonies I've made deliveries to so far are just hollow structures, empty except for a delivery terminal and the hologram who greets you. I'm not sure where all the deliveries I'm making are actually going, or who's making use of them. Is everyone supposed to be underground or something?

Perhaps Sam's actually in purgatory, or he's the only one alive and everyone else is a hologram, or something like that. It sounds suitability Kojima-esque...

My understanding is that

in all the cities people are living underground just like preppers. Sam is quite fine to essentially camp in the safe from away from the centre of the city areas, he seems happiest when he's out there alone.

I know it’s been said before but this game just thrives once you get to chapter 3 and beyond. 

All of those heavy, pointless materials suddenly gain purpose. Road building et al is surprisingly addictive. Pro tip, add to the roads often, you get loads of likes this way.

Those of you who got it from Santa are in for a treat. 

• Upvote 3

Incidentally, what are likes for?

I finished DS a few weeks ago putting in maybe 80 hours. But there’s quite a lot I never figured out. What are likes for? And how do you get trucks (apart from stealing them)?

• Upvote 1

Likes very basically add to Sam’s overall level. So you can carry more etc. There’s  probably also some really deep and meaningful thing about social media hinted at there too. But yeah they do have an actual purpose in the game. 

I’m not there yet but I was under the impression all vehicles could be fabricated eventually?

You get trucks as part of the story don't you? If not, its a reward for one of the main side missions around the end of chapter 3 or 4. I seem to remember unlocking them in Lake Knot city. I can't imagine life without the trucks, they are amazing for road building and taking on 5 missions at the same time. If you check the vehicles tab in the fabricate menu are there no trucks there? I've also unlocked at least 2 truck variants by doing side missions  (raising stars level) for shelters.

I haven't played for about a month but plan to get into it again this Xmas. I seem to be about to enter the end stretch and honestly I don't want it to end. I feel like doing a load of missions and finishing off roads just to delay the inevitable. It sounds crazy as I must have about 80 hours on the clock but I wish the world was even bigger!

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

You get trucks as part of the story don't you? If not, its a reward for one of the main side missions around the end of chapter 3 or 4. I seem to remember unlocking them in Lake Knot city. I can't imagine life without the trucks, they are amazing for road building and taking on 5 missions at the same time. If you check the vehicles tab in the fabricate menu are there no trucks there? I've also unlocked at least 2 truck variants by doing side missions  (raising stars level) for shelters.

I haven't played for about a month but plan to get into it again this Xmas. I seem to be about to enter the end stretch and honestly I don't want it to end. I feel like doing a load of missions and finishing off roads just to delay the inevitable. It sounds crazy as I must have about 80 hours on the clock but I wish the world was even bigger!

I finished it and don’t remember that! There were never options for trucks, only bikes (which I never needed to build because they were everywhere). Maybe it was a standard order? My save was really buggy throughout and kept bugging me about orders I’d already finished like road building so maybe that was it.

I’ll load up my end game save tomorrow and double check if there are any trucks available to build. I’m pretty sure there aren’t though.

I remember towards the end of the game seeing some standard orders with 100s of kg to carry and checking to see what I could build to help. Floating platforms and bikes but no trucks. 

43 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I’ll load up my end game save tomorrow and double check if there are any trucks available to build. I’m pretty sure there aren’t though.

I remember towards the end of the game seeing some standard orders with 100s of kg to carry and checking to see what I could build to help. Floating platforms and bikes but no trucks. 

Worth nothing You can only build Vehicles at locations with garages . So distro centres and cities. 

• Upvote 2

I’m happy people are enjoying this but still waiting for the Edge review and a budget price point. It seems a lot of people abandon the game as get on with it. I can’t imagine Kojima has anything to say which would warrant a 80-120 hours investment, personally.

• Downvote 2

I got a truck! I’ve lost it now, but I had one! I loaded it with ALL the materials and built SOME of the roads! I then tear-arsed it on a trike to the foot of a snowy mountain. I’ve been told I need to climb it, and no doubt there will be loads of BTs. I can tell this because it’s pissing down, and the dodgy man in the black mask told me I need to go there. I’ve loaded up with grenades, the upgraded bola gun and my new lucky legs. I’m going full commando with this next bit. 

Also last night while the magnificent Reedus was checking himself out in his mirror...

Spoiler

Goddamn if Higgs didn’t pop up behind him and scare the shit out of me!

Anyway, get stuck in lads it’s bloody great! 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I’m happy people are enjoying this but still waiting for the Edge review and a budget price point. It seems a lot of people abandon the game as get on with it. I can’t imagine Kojima has anything to say which would warrant a 80-120 hours investment, personally.

I don't think an Edge review is coming anytime soon (the weird conditions that came with the review copy were something like "finish it or don't review it" and they reviewer they gave it too didn't like it.) As for the budget price point? Some people are going to hate this game, I suspect there will be quite a few newish second hand copies up for grabs post Christmas.

I'm pretty much a Kojima sceptic but my partner loved Death Stranding. And for a game about death and depression it's got some pretty uplifting messages and design embedded into it.

Just got past the prologue and I'm glad I knew how much of the first hour or so is cut scenes. Kojima builds brilliant worlds but by fucking Christ, he needs someone to tell him when to wind his neck in.

Quite looking forward to getting into the meat of the game once I'm past the exposition.

• Upvote 1

Yep, there’s 45+ hours of pure, unique gaming magic in Death Stranding, bookended by 5 hours of self-indulgence. That’s a perfectly good trade off in the Kojima-verse.

• Upvote 1

I've not had much of a chance to play this recently but I got up to the end of episode 2 last night where you fight the 

Spoiler

giant squid boss.

That was a sudden change of pace...

• Upvote 2

It all make sense in the game. Chapter 3 is where it starts to open up, the first couple of chapters you need to put a bit of work in I suppose. You can just race through them of course. I’d certainly recommend sticking solely to the main missions in chapter 1 and 2. 

• Upvote 1