rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

9 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

This does not sound Good™...

If the opening ten hours has been a tutorial then, as far as I'm concerned, it's been a very enjoyable one.

• Upvote 5

What's the best way to deal with the MULEs? At the moment I'm mostly just running away from them and bashing any who get too close. I got ganked by a big group earlier and they nicked all my stuff so I took the wuss's way out and just reloaded an earlier save. I wouldn't mind having one of those cattle-prod javelin things they have so I could stun them and see if they bloody like it :angry:

And I know that I mentioned it in an earlier post, but the lack of visible NPCs in this is really quite jarring. Like at the beginning of chapter 3,

Spoiler

when you arrive in Port Knot City and disembark from the boat, there's just no-one anywhere, despite there being working cranes and things in the background, as well as evidence that the place isn't entirely abandoned, with things like working lights, nearly-organised cargo containers, parked cars, and so on. 

I get why there's not loads of people milling around the wilderness, what with the trans-dimensional monsters on the loose, not to mention cargo-addicted junkies (:huh:), but it seems strange that you don't run into people in the settlements who you can interact with or even potentially take side-quests from. On the one hand, not having anyone to talk to apart from the holograms, or grub-eating weirdos like Fragile, succeeds in making you feel very isolated, but on the other hand it just feels a bit out of place. If the absence of people had been explained somehow, like 'The air above ground is toxic following the catastrophe, so everyone lives in subterranean communities now', then I'd be fine with it, but from the ten hours or so I've played thus far, it's not really been explained at all.

Then again, this is a game where your poo and shower water can be turned into weapons to attack the aforementioned trans-dimensional monsters, so I suppose the verisimilitude of the world isn't number one on Kojima's list of priorities.

9 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

And I know that I mentioned it in an earlier post, but the lack of visible NPCs in this is really quite jarring. 

I get why there's not loads of people milling around the wilderness, what with the trans-dimensional monsters on the loose, not to mention cargo-addicted junkies (:huh:), but it seems strange that you don't run into people in the settlements who you can interact with or even potentially take side-quests from. On the one hand, not having anyone to talk to apart from the holograms, or grub-eating weirdos like Fragile, succeeds in making you feel very isolated, but on the other hand it just feels a bit out of place. If the absence of people had been explained somehow, like 'The air above ground is toxic following the catastrophe, so everyone lives in subterranean communities now', then I'd be fine with it, but from the ten hours or so I've played thus far, it's not really been explained at all.

One word. Timefall. The rain (of which there's a lot) is not something you want to be caught out in.

Later on though once areas are safer and easier to travel through you will see other porters inspired by your exploits.

• Upvote 2

Some hardcore DS cosplay right there. 

This really is shaping up to be one of my favourite games of this decade. It's one of those games that you don't wish to end - although after 250hrs. on BotW, I was relieved to have part of my own life back.

Where do you check your total playtime for DS btw?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Some hardcore DS cosplay right there. 

This really is shaping up to be one of my favourite games of this decade. It's one of those games that you don't wish to end - although after 250hrs. on BotW, I was relieved to have part of my own life back.

Where do you check your total playtime for DS btw?

In the pause menu 

• Upvote 2

Cheers!

(That'd be 50hrs. then)

You know you've been playing too much DS when you're in the car, it starts raining and you're worried that it'll make the bodywork rust if you don't find any shelter soon.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Cheers!

You know you've been playing too much DS when you're in the car, it starts raining and you're worried that it'll make the bodywork rust if you don't find any shelter soon.

I delayed a trip out in the weekend to get coffee for my partner because of light drizzle before I realised that I was worried about timefall. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

What's the best way to deal with the MULEs? At the moment I'm mostly just running away from them and bashing any who get too close. I got ganked by a big group earlier and they nicked all my stuff so I took the wuss's way out and just reloaded an earlier save. I wouldn't mind having one of those cattle-prod javelin things they have so I could stun them and see if they bloody like it :angry:

And I know that I mentioned it in an earlier post, but the lack of visible NPCs in this is really quite jarring. Like at the beginning of chapter 3,

Reveal hidden contents

when you arrive in Port Knot City and disembark from the boat, there's just no-one anywhere, despite there being working cranes and things in the background, as well as evidence that the place isn't entirely abandoned, with things like working lights, nearly-organised cargo containers, parked cars, and so on. 

You don’t have the blueprint for the bola gun?

This gun is basically a lasso that ties the mules up. You can then run over and kick them to knock them out (or a head shot knocks them straight out iirc). 

I never ventured into a mule zone without a bola gun. You can stealthily get in and out - MGS style - if you use cover, long grass and that gun.

• Upvote 2

@Jamie John  if you’re yet to get the bola, you can equip your strand (select with L on the d-pad). 

With that you can counter and tie them all up! There’s a massive window so it’s pretty simple. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Goemon said:

You don’t have the blueprint for the bola gun?

This gun is basically a lasso that ties the mules up. You can then run over and kick them to knock them out (or a head shot knocks them straight out iirc). 

I never ventured into a mule zone without a bola gun. You can stealthily get in and out - MGS style - if you use cover, long grass and that gun.

31 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

@Jamie John  if you’re yet to get the bola, you can equip your strand (select with L on the d-pad). 

With that you can counter and tie them all up! There’s a massive window so it’s pretty simple. 

I haven't heard of the Bola gun yet, but I do have the strand, although I thought you could only use it when you had sneaked up on them, so thanks for the tip!

• Upvote 2

You essentially parry them when they attack and it’s a very large window, nothing like Dark Souls for instance. I’ve had many Benny Hill moments when they’ve ganged up on me, only to leave the entire outpost looking like a BDSM enthusiasts meet. It’s not as elegant as Solid Snaking the entire thing, but it’s very effective until you get better weapons. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

One word. Timefall. The rain (of which there's a lot) is not something you want to be caught out in.

Later on though once areas are safer and easier to travel through you will see other porters inspired by your exploits.

I suppose so, although it never seems to rain once you get into a settlement anyway.

It just seems like a wasted opportunity to me: for a game that's supposed to make you care about reconnecting disparate groups of people, it's odd that you never actually meet the people you're connecting. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I suppose so, although it never seems to rain once you get into a settlement anyway.

It just seems like a wasted opportunity to me: for a game that's supposed to make you care about reconnecting disparate groups of people, it's odd that you never actually meet the people you're connecting. 

I think it's partly to do with showing how isolated everyone is, but I think it's also a clever way to control the budget in the making of the game.

As for it never raining near a settlement? Some of the latter ones are in more dangerous places weather wise and the weather doesn't always behave itself and that's about as much as I can say at this stage.

• Upvote 1

Had a great sesh on this earlier this afternoon. Unlocked the 

Spoiler

Bola gun and the Exo-skeleton thing that makes you run like the friggin Terminator in Judgement Day. It's awesome.

Did a bit where I had to steal something back from a postbox in MULE territory. I set up a watchtower from the top of mountain I was on to scope out the camp and spotted a big group of them driving around in a truck. I descended the mountain using a ladder and a climbing rope that online players had helpfully provided, dropping likes as I did so, of course, before sneaking up to the MULE pylon barrier and chucking a smoke-decoy package over the invisible wall. It pinged off, duly attracting the attention of the truck-driving MULEs, so I went and hid behind a rock.

They drove up and got out, two of them staying by the car and two of them walking over to the decoy box. From my rocky vantage point I took aim at the two that had stayed by the car, waited for the decoy to trigger and at the exact moment it went off I bola'd the two next to the truck before jumping in it, doing a 180 and then made a bee line for the camp.

As I was drawing close, three more MULEs, alerted by the noise, spilled out of a tent. One of them lobbed a lightning spear at the truck so I had to bail. Once I was on my feet again I knocked one of them the fuck out as he was running towards me, strand parried the second one and bola'd the third. I was then free to unlock the postbox and grab the item I'd been sent for, as well as some other goodies, before taking a look around, nabbing a memory chip and an XL create of ceramics.

By that time the two guys I'd smoked with the decoy had made their way back to the camp and were gunning for me, so I helped myself to another truck, calmly backed it out of the garage area it was parked in and drove off into the sunset, making use of a handy bridge (complete with music) that one of my co-porters had helpfully provided.

Felt good man.

• Upvote 7

14 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Had a great sesh on this earlier this afternoon. Unlocked the 

Reveal hidden contents

Bola gun and the Exo-skeleton thing that makes you run like the friggin Terminator in Judgement Day. It's awesome.

Did a bit where I had to steal something back from a postbox in MULE territory. I set up a watchtower from the top of mountain I was on to scope out the camp and spotted a big group of them driving around in a truck. I descended the mountain using a ladder and a climbing rope that online players had helpfully provided, dropping likes as I did so, of course, before sneaking up to the MULE pylon barrier and chucking a smoke-decoy package over the invisible wall. It pinged off, duly attracting the attention of the truck-driving MULEs, so I went and hid behind a rock.

They drove up and got out, two of them staying by the car and two of them walking over to the decoy box. From my rocky vantage point I took aim at the two that had stayed by the car, waited for the decoy to trigger and at the exact moment it went off I bola'd the two next to the truck before jumping in it, doing a 180 and then made a bee line for the camp.

As I was drawing close, three more MULEs, alerted by the noise, spilled out of a tent. One of them lobbed a lightning spear at the truck so I had to bail. Once I was on my feet again I knocked one of them the fuck out as he was running towards me, strand parried the second one and bola'd the third. I was then free to unlock the postbox and grab the item I'd been sent for, as well as some other goodies, before taking a look around, nabbing a memory chip and an XL create of ceramics.

By that time the two guys I'd smoked with the decoy had made their way back to the camp and were gunning for me, so I helped myself to another truck, calmly backed it out of the garage area it was parked in and drove off into the sunset, making use of a handy bridge (complete with music) that one of my co-porters had helpfully provided.

Felt good man.

”All you do is deliver stuff - 3/10”

• Upvote 5

Me driving to the

spiritualist

They totally should've used that bit of music. It was playing in the background though. Simply couldn't resist having my own Coen brothers moment in Death Stranding.

• Upvote 1

Does chapter 3 start after the delivery to Port Knot City and crossing the lake?

I can see why this game can be compulsive. I can also see why some people really enjoy it. For me it's straddling a very fine line between being moreish and me just wanting to jack it in because it's too much hassle. It's really quite sedate and a chilled out gaming experience (except when MULES turn up) but the whole game is weighed down with systems and mechanics that barely mesh together and just threaten to fall apart of you so much as breathe on them. Like the boot wear, for example. It serves no purpose that I can see. It's just another thing to take into consideration and change when you need to. Why have it?

It's also full of Kojima Quirks* like having a little cut scene animation after certain actions, which is bad enough in itself but to skip it you can't just press circle, you have to press Options, press right, press X. It's a small thing but it's unnecessarily protracted.

Also the writing (so far) is terrible. Kojima is like George Lucas; so capable of building these worlds full of wonderful ideas and concepts but utterly useless at writing dialogue that doesn't make you want to shove your thumbs in your eyes. It doesn't help so much if it is played completely straight. A character called Die-Hardman who wears a carbon fibre skull mask is brilliant, it's metal as fuck, but in the context of this game and the way it presents the world it just feels hokey. It's like some straight edge mathcore band covering Manowar. I wish it leaned into the ridiculousness of it all. Also because of the straightness of it all I don't buy into the notion that the Monster thing and the "Likes" are some kind of meta commentary.

Anyway it's very likely there's a point I've missed, but that's my brain vomit on it. I've got the feeling I'm going to end up binning it unless I somehow acquire more patience but I'm glad I gave it a go. It's very much something that you need to make your own mind up on. I've never been a big Kojima fan as the games are usually to esoteric for me to enjoy so aside from the first Metal Gear Solid this is probably the longest I've stuck with one at 6 hours and change. 

*I was going to put 'Kojima Kwirks' but then I'd have had to slap myself.

• Upvote 3

Ch3:

Spoiler

I wonder what could possibly be in this parcel marked “SMALL THERMONUCLEAR WEAPON” dropped off by the shiftiest looking guy on the planet.

• Upvote 5

I'm drawing close to 20 hours on the this now. I'm still enjoying it (just done the Junk Dealer's key order - that was weird), but I'm still only on episode three and feel like I need it to pick up the pace little bit now, so I'm going to focus on the story missions for a while, whereas I had been spending quite a lot of time hoarding materials to build useful structures (gotta get those likes, yo).

I looked up how many episodes there were and was pretty shocked to find that there are 

Spoiler

14 in total.

:blink:

I'm assuming that the one I'm on is something of a longer one and later episodes are a bit shorter...