rllmuk

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

So up to chapter 3 and this is amazing, beautiful, terrifying, boring, insane, nonsensical and many other things all wrapped in to one. I'm just not really sure of any of it at the moment. But, but, but there is a pull to keep going.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I finished this evening and thought the last five or so hours were truly, truly dreadful. I loved huge swathes of this, but do yourself a favour if you think you're near the end; stop.

• Empathy 1

Update, I’ve just made it to the wind farm. Loving the game but I am really struggling to deal with BTs. Every encounter I have messed up some way or another. Any tips?

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Len said:

Creep past them or just twat them with hematic grenades. That's what I do anyway.

I don’t think I have those grenades yet, thankfully on the way back to the distribution Center they were all gone.

• Upvote 2
45 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I don’t think I have those grenades yet, thankfully on the way back to the distribution Center they were all gone.

Remember to keep using the shower toilet thing;

Poo pushes them away.

Pee brings them in,

sweat kills them

...or something like that. 

• Upvote 2

Honestly, at that early point in the game I was convinced the route to the Wind Farm and the mountain pass to Port Knot City were scripted miniboss events because I tried so damn hard to sneak past the BTs and couldn't manage it.

Also, in my 98 hours of gameplay I've still not used a single whizz/poop/sweat grenade. Oops.

• Upvote 2

The ex grenades are or at least seem useless to me. Why bother when hematic ones kill them?

That mountain pass was terrifying though, I agree. 

3 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Honestly, at that early point in the game I was convinced the route to the Wind Farm and the mountain pass to Port Knot City were scripted miniboss events because I tried so damn hard to sneak past the BTs and couldn't manage it.

Also, in my 98 hours of gameplay I've still not used a single whizz/poop/sweat grenade. Oops.

I went back to the wind farm later and

created a line of zip lines around the dirt ledges on the left hand side of the forest making a half hour taut creep fest into a 40 second playground ride.

There are definitely sections of the game where you are funnelled into BT areas and that mountain pass is one of them. Strictly speaking, you don't have to get to the Windfarm that way, but it's the route that the majority of players will take as it's the quickest on the map.

As for tips for BTs, make sure you save before heading into their area (essentially you want to save every time it starts raining, because once your BT aerial goes off you're not allowed to) so you can reload if you cock things up. I found that you can make a bit more noise than the game let's on and you don't actually have to crouch walk until the aerial glows orange to indicate one's close nearby, and even then it's quite forgiving. If you do set one off and the world turns to goop then just running away is your best bet and isn't that difficult to do in the early game. Once you clear the circle of goo then the rain will suddenly stop and BB will give you the all clear, even if there were still loads of them that you hadn't got past. In fact, triggering one and then running away to clear out the rest is a pretty viable tactic and can save you lots of time in the long run.

• Upvote 2

That doesn’t always happen - I had a terrible time in the mountains where I would escape the goop only to stumble in to another BT and start it all over. But if you go slow, stop moving so you can actually see them, and figure out where the gaps are, there is always a way.

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

I went back to the wind farm later and

Hide contents

created a line of zip lines around the dirt ledges on the left hand side of the forest making a half hour taut creep fest into a 40 second playground ride.

Same :D I had to move the end of the line though because every time I dropped off I'd still be in BT territory and the odradec would shoot up. :doh:  

Did anyone else completely miss some preppers? I only met the following after finishing;

Spoiler

Musician

Ludens Fan (sorry Geoff!)

First Prepper

Novelist's Son

Veteran Porter

Collector

Yeah, I know, I must've been blind to skip some of those.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

The basic trick is to check the blacked-out areas on the map and have a good sniff around. Failing that there's a good interactive map online. They give out some nice novelty items if you level them up enough.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Alex W. said:

That doesn’t always happen - I had a terrible time in the mountains where I would escape the goop only to stumble in to another BT and start it all over. But if you go slow, stop moving so you can actually see them, and figure out where the gaps are, there is always a way.

This is what I do and just move the opposite way to your magic shoulder spider is pointing till it calms down.

Got a bit annoyed last night and switched it off saying this is drivel! :lol:

Back to it... ;)

• Upvote 2

When will it ever end?! I have to see it through now though.

I spent last night driving bright red trucks and trikes directly up, over and surprise, surprise, back and forth over mountains. Sod walking!

Currently at the end of chapter 6 and getting more and more hacked off with just about all the characters. They are truly awful and pathetic some, if not all, of them. I find myself swearing at them/the tele whist they come on spout yet more rubbish at me...again. :unsure:

Ahem... :blink:

40 minutes ago, Len said:

When will it ever end?! I have to see it through now though.

I spent last night driving bright red trucks and trikes directly up, over and surprise, surprise, back and forth over mountains. Sod walking!

Currently at the end of chapter 6 and getting more and more hacked off with just about all the characters. They are truly awful and pathetic some, if not all, of them. I find myself swearing at them/the tele whist they come on spout yet more rubbish at me...again. :unsure:

Ahem... :blink:

You've got ages to go. If its not game of the year for you now, it's never going to be. You're never going to like it.

The game is a masterpiece. Peak Kojima and it's wonderful.

• Upvote 3

I'm still enjoying it, well some of it but it's more and more ludicrous. But then offset by moments which are truly beautiful.

I will finish it but certainly not goty material for me.

I hope in future he expands on multiplayer aspects which are the real highlights Death Stranding for me. I'm not into MMORPGs where playing solo isn't much cop, or online FPS that are super competitive, potentially addictive and stress me out, but games like this and FromSoft titles put a new spin on online features and I find it far more interesting. I like the idea of more advanced communal world-building and resource sharing to see where they could take it. Maybe not suitable for his next title which I've heard is horror related?

I remember someone mentioned Iceland earlier in the thread. I hope it's not too spoilery to say there is a thank you in the credits to an Icelandic national park (IIRC), so yeah, it's very much based on Iceland. I think the intro has actual photos of Iceland and it segues flawlessly into the game engine which is pretty impressive.

• Upvote 2

Agree with a lot of that and was also about to say if it's true he's doing horror next it will be utterly terrifying going on parts of this.

Anyway, chapter 7 done (v enjoyable) and onward in to chapter 8.

• Upvote 1