Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

2 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Counter opinion, I loved it. It just needed more space to breathe rather than being crammed at the end.

Bear in mind I also loved The Last Jedi and enjoyed Ghostbusters Answer the Call. Which should tell you which of our opinions to rate.

Stay right where you are. 

I've called the tar and feathers company and they'll be with you shortly.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Unofficial Who said:

Counter opinion, I loved it. It just needed more space to breathe rather than being crammed at the end.

Bear in mind I also loved The Last Jedi and enjoyed Ghostbusters Answer the Call. Which should tell you which of our opinions to rate.

Hands across the sea brother . The whole thing was magnificent . 

• Upvote 2

I finished this last night, and feel the last few hours rope in all the bullshit and actually manage to turn it around in a fairly magnificent way. I still think Kojima is a wanker for leaving in so much bullshit and explaining everything 50 billion times because clearly he is so much cleverer than silly gamers, but fuck me does he make unforgettable videogames. Death Stranding will linger with me for quite a while I reckon.

Also PC port discussion. Playing this at 1440p dlss'ed to 4k at a gsynced 90-100 FPS was incredible and makes it very difficult to go back to Tsushima.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I still think Kojima is a wanker for leaving in so much bullshit and explaining everything 50 billion times because clearly he is so much cleverer than silly gamers

I've never thought this is why he's so verbose, he just really, really likes talking a lot about whatever he's been hyperfixating on for the last four or five years.

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I finished this last night, and feel the last few hours rope in all the bullshit and actually manage to turn it around in a fairly magnificent way. I still think Kojima is a wanker for leaving in so much bullshit and explaining everything 50 billion times because clearly he is so much cleverer than silly gamers, but fuck me does he make unforgettable videogames. Death Stranding will linger with me for quite a while I reckon.

Also PC port discussion. Playing this at 1440p dlss'ed to 4k at a gsynced 90-100 FPS was incredible and makes it very difficult to go back to Tsushima.

6 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I've never thought this is why he's so verbose, he just really, really likes talking a lot about whatever he's been hyperfixating on for the last four or five years.

I've said it before in this thread, I think he lacks the confidence that gamers will get it. He needs a better editor. Better to be like David Lynch and leave room for others to interpret rather than say something mysterious and immediately spell it out.

I've done chapter 9 now, after playing this loads over the weekend, and it's ridiculously brilliant. So many laughs in that final bit.

Spoiler

"I've brought you a metaphor." "Like Mario and Princess 'Beach.'"

With stuff like this, I don't think it's treating the player as stupid, it's, well, it's a way of constantly pointing to its own artifice and reminding the player that they're part of the scene. Plus a whole load of pastiche/parody. Although I'd still agree some self-restraint (or editing) would help.

Speaking of parody

!Spoiler for The Last of Us 2 ending!

Spoiler

the final fight with Higgs on the beach manages to create a superb piss-take of the final fight in TLOU2 before the latter even came out. 

• Upvote 2

I finally got this in the recent sale. I am currently on one controller charge a day and my right index finger is aching. I feel like some of you may emphasize.

It's just barmy and totally brilliant.

• Upvote 1
On 23/07/2020 at 17:53, El Spatula said:

Why is this so addictive

Gamified work sim Kojima-style, innit.  That’s what I’m putting down to mostly.  It feels very blissful to take on new jobs then keep on (keeping on) doing them, knowing you’ll get rewarded and knowing what sort of reward you’ll get before you take on the job. The constant flow of unlocks. And the social element helping/pushing/competing.

All wrapped up in cool Kojima stylings and question raising.

It’s a heady mix in this current corona climate, what with so much uncertainty about work.

• Upvote 1

Building a combined zip line and road network that allowed me to go anywhere on the map within 5 minutes is one of my most satisfying gaming achievements, ever. 

Also, I would be fascinated to know the budget on this because although it’s obviously very polished, it feels like a lot has been done with a little. There’s no real advanced AI in there, lots of reused assets and although there’s a lot of motion capture, the cast is really small.

Plus of course the game was more or less put together in less than four years, which is short for a big title these days. It’s really an indie game in AAA clothing.

• Upvote 3

Tempted to get this now, if not just to see what all the fuss was around (and it is getting cheaper in various places).

One key question, If I dislike Metal Gear will I hate this?

9 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Tempted to get this now, if not just to see what all the fuss was around (and it is getting cheaper in various places).

One key question, If I dislike Metal Gear will I hate this?

Depends what you dislike about it. In some ways it's totally different to the extent that people who love those games hate this. In others it's exactly the same because Kojima. 

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, deerokus said:

I started this recently. It's a beautiful hiking simulator. 

I was walking up on Meall nan Tarmachan in the Ben Lawers range a couple of weeks ago and it was freaky how much the landscape looked like Death Stranding. Kept looking for routes for Sam to take. FFS.

• Upvote 4
On 05/08/2020 at 16:58, Flanders said:

Building a combined zip line and road network that allowed me to go anywhere on the map within 5 minutes is one of my most satisfying gaming achievements, ever. 

Sheeeeeit, what level were you? You must have caned it to get the bandwidth to get all that going. 

Very envious. I'm elite and got three stars so far, but don't have the chiral chops to run too many lines. Central Mountains is where they're most needed, but the sightlines so poor you need one every 100 yards :)

• Upvote 2

Well, I stuck this on for the first time yesterday afternoon and didn't stop playing until the early hours last night. I have not experienced a game that has grabbed my attention this much in a long time.

Loving Sam/Reedus, the haunting music, the overall creepy vibe and the bizarre story (and I really do dislike the MGS series). Its proper Supernatural SciFi and it works!

Think I cleared the first two chapters last night before aimlessly stumbling around the beautiful rugged landscap collecting dropped parcels and delivering them back to Central Knot City (and realising I needed actual sleep)

Jesus, I cannot wait to play this again later!

• Upvote 8

Yeah, I was utterly captivated. Put 60 hours in and contemplating going back to that world as its astonishing. 

What worked in terms of the story was character. After giving no shites about anyone in any MGS games, I was shocked finding myself fully invested in Sam, Fragile, Mama, BB and - in particular - Cliff, who is comfortably one of the best, most nuanced video game characters of all time. He was genuinely terrifying at points, too. 

Not ashamed to say I cried at the end, and not just because I was overtired from watching three hours of cutscenes :)

• Upvote 3

About the ending of this game, do you get the trophy for finishing the game as soon as the end scene(s) starts playing or do you have to watch it all?

I started this earlier in the week and became instantly pretty captivated by it. I've just got to the bit where you unlock side quests and I'm not sure if I should be taking them on yet? I've been tasked with going back to the city at the beginning of the game but if I do the side quests I've got far too much weight on me to walk it. Should I just be going for story nonsense at the moment and wait until I assume Sam can carry more for the side quests? 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

I started this earlier in the week and became instantly pretty captivated by it. I've just got to the bit where you unlock side quests and I'm not sure if I should be taking them on yet? I've been tasked with going back to the city at the beginning of the game but if I do the side quests I've got far too much weight on me to walk it. Should I just be going for story nonsense at the moment and wait until I assume Sam can carry more for the side quests? 

One thing to note is that doing stuff for people like , say, the engineer yields valuable rewards . 

But also as @Alex W. says , you will get to a point where you are doing a delivery run covering several people along a route 

• Upvote 2

Obviously I'm still VERY early on but is the idea that I'm just building up routes so that they're easier with stuff like post boxes etc? Or is it a case of seeing I've got say 3 side quests and doing them, then the story missions? If you can't tell me without spoiling stuff then don't worry, I've been avoiding everything about the game since it came out!

I think especially early on if you try to exhaustively do all the side quests it might get frustrating. It’s worth dabbling instead at that stage - oh, this one is between two places I’ve not run between yet, or this one has criteria that are new to me, or whatever.

Generally, yeah, you’ll want to gradually upgrade routes you use regularly to make those side missions easier. You kind of consolidate as you go.

• Upvote 2

Finished this a couple of weeks ago after having it for months and am still thinking about the game. For me the first few hours were Kojima by numbers but once it opened up and i understood the mechanics it became just such a joyous experience. Yes there were moments when i wanted to throw the controller through the window and just give up but these mainly involved negotiaiting the terrain with the vehicles and getting stuck.

That final walk back east was one of my favourite moments in gaming in years. Climbing mountains whilst Low Roar played was pretty emotional after all of the game that came beforehand. I think that will stay with me for years

Yes the story is not it’s strongest element and it over-explains every little thing far too frequently, but it’s a damn special game.

• Upvote 4
20 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I bet Low Roar did well out of this. Their music is such a perfect fit.

It really is, I had never heard of them before but now want to track down the Albums on vinyl.