Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

I have to admit, I'm just not getting this game at all.

I've sunk 9 hours into it according to Steam and I'm ready to move to what I assume is the second major area of the game after the area around Capital Knot City, so I guess I'm not that far into it, but I can feel like I'm enjoying it, roaming around the landscape and then suddenly I get attacked by BTs and it's not scary or captivating, it's just fucking irritating. It pulls me out of what I'm doing, heavily damages or even ruins the cargo I was transporting and, in general, pisses me off.

Also, I'm still pretty sure I have no idea what any of it is even about.

Can I assume this is not the game for me and move on to something else?

It really clicked for me after getting to that second major area.  If it’s not doing it for you a couple hours after that, I don’t think it’s for you - but, give it a chance.  It’s one of my favourite games in quite a long time.

Yeah, definitely hold out at least until you've poked around the second area, if only for the fact it's much bigger and gorgeous. Especially if you're running it on a fancy PC (poverty PS4 here). Being dragged along by the BTs and dropping all your kit will never not feel unfair and frustrating, but you will find it a lot easier to avoid later on. I would recommend skipping anything that isn't the essential story missions, just so you can progress as quickly as possible. You can mop up the extras later if you feel the need. Keep on keeping on!

I have the useful bike from the distribution center however it is looking rusty and about to fall apart. It keeps telling me to park it in a garage to repair but I cannot see one at Port Knot City or any of the other waystations, am I missing something? 

Edit, bike screwed anyway, lost it in a river that was deeper than I thought!

8 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I have the useful bike from the distribution center however it is looking rusty and about to fall apart. It keeps telling me to park it in a garage to repair but I cannot see one at Port Knot City or any of the other waystations, am I missing something? 

Edit, bike screwed anyway, lost it in a river that was deeper than I thought!

Hah, we've all been there. Wait until you've driven a van off a cliff and got it stuck in between some rocks. That wasn't just me, right? 

Garage: https://gamewith.net/death-stranding/article/show/13582

I'm on chapter 3 of this game I think, and enjoyed what I played but I kept having the feeling that the fact I don't have a PSN subscription was going to make the game even more of a slog than it's supposed to be, building roads and stuff seems pretty  much impossible. I haven't played it in a while and would like to go back, but does it still remain enjoyable to play offline?

13 minutes ago, crisy said:

I'm on chapter 3 of this game I think, and enjoyed what I played but I kept having the feeling that the fact I don't have a PSN subscription was going to make the game even more of a slog than it's supposed to be, building roads and stuff seems pretty  much impossible. I haven't played it in a while and would like to go back, but does it still remain enjoyable to play offline?

I dont think you do require a PSN Sub, I don't have one and all of the online features work for me.

Well, that was a testing journey from Port Knot Central to Port Knot City on foot. That is the furthest I have been so far and it was a tough slog through two BT encounters and some horribly hilly terrain in a storm.

Once I crested that hill and came down the other side the music started and I could see the city, the relief was truly felt (and dare I say kind of emotional). I think I'm done for the night, time for something a little more relaxing.

27 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Well, that was a testing journey from Port Knot Central to Port Knot City on foot. That is the furthest I have been so far and it was a tough slog through two BT encounters and some horribly hilly terrain in a storm.

Once I crested that hill and came down the other side the music started and I could see the city, the relief was truly felt (and dare I say kind of emotional). I think I'm done for the night, time for something a little more relaxing.

That was one of the moments of the generation for me. Struggling your way through the arduous pass infested with BTs, and then cresting that hill as the skies clear to see the city stretched out far below as the plaintive tones of Low Roar faded in. I think it was at that moment that the whole game really clicked for me as it provided such a totally unique experience both in gameplay and tone. :wub:   

On 11/08/2020 at 21:07, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I bet Low Roar did well out of this. Their music is such a perfect fit.

To say the least!

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/death-strandings-reveal-trailer-saved-the-band-low/1100-6472548/

Death Stranding was first announced to the world via an enigmatic trailer at E3 2016, featuring the track "I'll Keep Coming" by the band Low Roar. The trailer, which showed a naked Norman Reedus cradling a baby on a beach, ended up being fairly indicative of the final game--and it also meant a lot to the band whose song it featured.

Low Roar went on to have several songs on the Death Stranding soundtrack, but according to an interview with VG247, before Kojima's game came along the band was struggling. The band was recording their music on a laptop, according to lead singer Ryan Karazija, and was "in the gutter" when they received an email from Sony asking if they could use their music in a trailer.

"Sony contacted us in an obscure email offering us a certain amount of money to use the song 'I’ll Keep Coming', and they were not willing to tell us what they’re going to use the song for," Karazija told VG247. When their song showed up in the trailer, the band's popularity immediately skyrocketed.

According to Karazija, the band has had dinner with Kojima twice, and "he's a lovely man."

On 10/08/2020 at 10:28, BitterToad said:

I started this earlier in the week and became instantly pretty captivated by it. I've just got to the bit where you unlock side quests and I'm not sure if I should be taking them on yet? I've been tasked with going back to the city at the beginning of the game but if I do the side quests I've got far too much weight on me to walk it. Should I just be going for story nonsense at the moment and wait until I assume Sam can carry more for the side quests? 

So I've just gone back to this after a bit of a break. I'm very early on still, having just walked back to the starting city for the first time. It's now telling me to go to Port Knox and then talking about me crossing a lake, and has saddled me with about 90kg worth of equipment. I'm basically falling over constantly. Am I missing something here? I've got a spare pair of boots and one of the HRT things (or whatever they're called) you use to make shit with but other than that it's all just main quest stuff and Sam can barely go two steps without swaying majorly. 

Am I supposed to leave some of the stuff at the first city, go to Port Knox, then go back to the first city and get the stuff for over the lake? I have no issue with that if I do, I quite like the back tracking side of things, but for a game that's said quite a lot I don't feel like it's really explained weight management that well!

No, holding doesn't sap your stamina. Excessive weight and sprinting sap that bar. Plus other things in the later game... 

How many orders did you pick up? You only have to take the key order (they're listed as 'Sam's Orders' and 'Other Orders'. You only need do the Sam ones for plot progression.) Leave any side stuff until you get new abilities. First power up:

Spoiler

IIRC the first power up you get is the Exoskeleton. Version one lets you carry up to, I think, 150kg. 

There's a few times you'll find you can't carry everything at once. Just take as much as you can whilst still being able to move relatively unimpeded. You can deliver in two or more trips, but remember if you stray too far from cargo it will disappear, so you gotta stick it in your locker. I would just take the minor hit to your score, it's really not worth the effort until later on when travel gets easier. Keep on keeping on!

16 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

A friend found the motorcycle, but totally missed the prompt for building the generator. SO many things can slip by you in this game.

Did this friend also refer to Port Knox City? I have done exactly this. I assume it would be something that came back later on as a thing?

Yeah, that was certainly not your only chance. The first area is mostly best to navigate on foot anyway, I found.

EDIT: I have become such a Kojima stan after Death Stranding that I immediately went out and bought a Kojima studios hoodie. It cost me twice what I paid for the game, but I regret nothing.

• 1 month later...

Finally started this. It's a bit Weir's Way meets Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within via classic Kojima talkathons. I think I'll try to alternate this with FFVII: Remake so I don't go completely demented with all the chiral DOOMS chat.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not even finished Chapter 2 and I'm really loving this. I'm one of those dorks who didn't use fast travel in Fallout games, so I spent a lot of FO4 carrying stuff back and forth between settlements etc. This is totally my jam.

Fuck off Geoff though, you get what you deserve building a hut next to the nutter base camp. Fetch your own shit back from them.

3 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I'm not even finished Chapter 2 and I'm really loving this. I'm one of those dorks who didn't use fast travel in Fallout games, so I spent a lot of FO4 carrying stuff back and forth between settlements etc. This is totally my jam.

Fuck off Geoff though, you get what you deserve building a hut next to the nutter base camp. Fetch your own shit back from them.

I really enjoyed the traversal across the terrain & it looks beautiful. It does get easier as you progress & unlock transport etc but it has some really great moments/sequences. It's between this game & Last of Us 2 for the best game I've played this year but I fully expect Ghost of Tshushima will beat them both. Can't wait to play that on the PS5.

On 14/10/2020 at 14:04, Grobbelboy said:

Have been anticipating this one for a while. Once again he delivers a thorough and thoughtful analysis.  

He seems strangely angry about face scanning tech, what's that about? I thought with the exception of some uncanny valley, largely coming from the teeth, the characters looked great. Of course in ten years they won't be quite so impressive.

• 4 weeks later...

Started this tonight. My poor old pc struggled until I found the pretend DLSS option in the menu, omg! 

Anyway. WHAT THE FUCK HAVE I DONE FOR THE LAST THREE HOURS? 

I have very little idea tbh. But I like it. A lot. Just the point where I'm 'free' to start wandering and linking places up. 

Those fucking hands, man.  I love how you're dumped in the game with no explanation of what's going on, or what even the most important acronym stands for. 

BB is adorbs, in a weird creepy way. 

Quite pleased that I've already seen a bunch of scenes that were used as teasers way back when. I've somehow managed to stay completely blind so am eager to get back to it. Had to tear myself away and go to bed like an adult should. But hoo boy roll on the weekend. 

So great.