IGNORED

Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

Delle Alli for me - the lad is a joy to watch. No Arsenal player should be near any POTY list - they should, in reality, be forced to retire as they're all spineless (all of them apart from Sanchez) or whiners (Sanchez). Watching that Palace game earlier in the week was Arsenal's nadir. Kante isn't "dogshit", he's likely to be a player nobody heard of in England three years ago who's won the league, two years in a row with different teams - not many players have done that. The best young player I've seen this season in the top flight who is eligible is Delle Alli - he should win both. 

Lukaku is only 24 - he's been around for years. Blimey - makes me feel even older.

We should do a rllmuk team of the season. The trophy could be 11 amiibos painted with gold nail varnish or something.

I think Shearer did it too. The BBC reckons he's only the fourth player ever to score 20+ premier league goals three seasons in a row. As you said, the others to do it are Henry, Van Nistelrooy, and Shearer as I mentioned. Rarefied company indeed. He's some player. He must have done it a lot younger than the other three, too.

Kane is an odd one, never looked special when on loan at Orient. Didn't look special at Spurs either,  until a few of their strikers got injured and Soldado turned out to be pish so they were forced to give him first team games, and he just all of a sudden started looking pretty tasty. Like there was a switch inside him that suddenly flicked from 'alright' to 'fantastic'.

Has yet to impress at international level and in Europe however. Needs to take that next step.

I absolutely love Tottenham. Anyone that says they are overachieving is a fool. Near on two seasons and they just get better. Team spirit seems fantastic and I love those silly handshakes. Goals all over attack, dynamic, interchangeable midfielders and a pure goalscorer. 

I think Poch will keep them together and they will improve further. 

They are overachieving though. The link between cash and success in football, especially in the Champions League era, is well established and Spurs are overachieving compared to their budget. That just makes this side even more impressive. 

On 13/04/2017 at 06:06, neoELITE said:

They (Leicester) could well get a positive result in the return leg. 1-0 isn't much of a lead. If Leicester can keep a clean sheet, they have a chance. I'd mentioned Forest and Clough because winning the Premier League from nowhere and then doing this well in the Champions League is probably as difficult as what Forest achieved all those years ago. Forest did win it however teams weren't as strong as they are now. If you look at Barcelona or Bayern or any of those perennial European clubs who reach the knock out stages, every single one of them is full of international players. It's a massive achievement for Leicester.

I would argue that the overall standard is actually weaker now. Remember that to be in the competition, you had to either be your country's league champions or be the holders of the European Cup, so you were never routinely playing the 3rd or 4th best team from any country - everybody was there on merit. There was no league stage where you could lose a few games and still progress, it was all knockout. The standard of football/tactics/fitness not being at today's levels is a red herring - you can only play what's in front of you. Should we dismiss the achievements of every other European Cup winning side too? Those great Ajax, Bayern, Real Madrid and Liverpool sides that also won it 2 or 3 years running - are they no good any more because they didn't beat Barcelona in 2009?

If Leicester win it this season, it'll be well-deserved and a fantastic achievement, not some fluke unworthy of praise.

</angry Forest Fan>