IGNORED

Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

Sunderland are one of the few clubs out there where you can invoke the old cliche about relegation possibly being good for them and actually mean it. 

The whole culture of the club has been rotten for years. The Secret Footballer was publishing articles ages ago about how there's a serious drinking culture at the club and how they've been overspending on wages for years to try and get players to join. Then you have the Adam Johnson situation where at least one person running the club knew he was guilty but decided to keep playing him. We only know for certain that Margaret Byrne had been told about Johnson's guilt, and that's all we'll know given that she got a £750,000 payoff when leaving as part of a confidentiality agreement but the whole club came out of that situation looking slimy. 

It's been a nasty club for years and I don't think many people are sad to see them go. 

Even though Moyes has done a poor job I wonder if leaving him in charge might actually work out better for Sunderland. Let him clean out the dressing room entirely and bring in a new team. They probably wouldn't get promoted but if they got the mentality right then they'll be better off than trying to keep the current squad together for next season. 

8 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Rodgers has been immense, I'm glad for him as I wasn't happy to see him leave Liverpool, just his inexperience cost him.  When was the last time a team in the Scottish top flight went a season unbeaten? What is the largest points tally a team has accrued in the 12 league format? Only dropped points so far is four draws is insane.

To be honest, though, the level of competition in the SPL is so low as to be neglible.  That doesn't take away what Rodgers has done, just in terms of achievements going through an entire season by dropping four points is merely above expectations, rather than any epic success.

Celtic have beaten the team in second 6-1 on aggregate over three games.  The team in third 13-4 on aggregate (including a 1-1 draw).  The SPL is bad.

The SPL is, yes.  Below that... still better than LoI, which I htink is above the Northern Irish league.  (From memory, there is a cup where those teams play.)

Celtic aside, any SPL team is mid-Championship level at best.  Aberdeens current top scorer is Adam Rooney, last seen failing to do much at Oldham, Swindon and Birmingham City.

16 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

When was the last time a team in the Scottish top flight went a season unbeaten? 

1899. Although Celtic did manage a 62- game unbeaten run over two seasons in the league during the first world war, but didn't manage a complete season. 

4 hours ago, Steely said:

3 Seperate games... 3 dives where the player on the ball blatantly initiates the contact.

Sane, Rashford and Kane. :( 

Fuck me I just seen the Sane pen. Refs need help badly. They have no chance against cheating every game.

How didn't Fernandinho get a card for the elbow on Clayton?! 

17 minutes ago, BlinkyBear said:

https://twitter.com/_The12thMan/status/858724860088004608/video/1

Noone stands on anyone's shin. 

Gabriel puts out a lazy foot and Kane takes that as an excuse to kick Gabriel and dive. 

He doesn't "put out a lazy foot"  at all, he swings it into Kane's leg and there's blatant contact made by Gabriel on Kane's shin with the bottom of his boot, which is patently obvious when you see it in realtime instead of a slow motion replay. 

1 hour ago, redbloodcel said:

He doesn't "put out a lazy foot"  at all, he swings it into Kane's leg and there's blatant contact made by Gabriel on Kane's shin with the bottom of his boot, which is patently obvious when you see it in realtime instead of a slow motion replay. 

It's a penalty for that reason but Kane still does the cheaters thing still and kicks the opponents leg to help the ref. Not needed in this instance but it still makes him look foolish regardless of how reckless Gabriel was.

17 hours ago, deerokus said:

1899. Although Celtic did manage a 62- game unbeaten run over two seasons in the league during the first world war, but didn't manage a complete season. 

Not quite - Rangers lost the 1899 Scottish Cup final to Celtic, after winning all 18 games in the league. Celtic went 1897/98 unbeaten in the league as well, drawing three, but lost to Third Lanark in the second round of the cup.

If Celtic can hold on for four more league games then beat Aberdeen in the cup, they'll be the first Scottish side to go unbeaten for an entire domestic season. They still got beat by Lincoln Red Imps in Europe though, which kinda takes the sheen off.

The standard of the SPL is dire, but fair play to Rodgers going unbeaten and dropping as few points as they have is still a fair achievement. From Celtic supporters I've talked with the biggest thing they credit him for is the improvement in certain players since he's taken over, so no matter what the quality of the opposition he seems to be getting the coaching of the squad sorted.

He's done well to keep them motivated, that's for all to see. I'm not a huge follower of fitba but I guess if you are a Celtic fan and you know your team is going to win the league at the start of the season then seeing them really go for it must be refreshing as I've noticed times in recent (as in sans Rangers) seasons there has been criticism that the Celtic players have done the bare minimum required. You can't throw that criticism at the current team.