IGNORED

Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37194666

Surprised this hasn't generated much discussion... The top 4 leagues will be guaranteed 4 places in the CL group stages. 

Personally I think it's a joke, it will just mean more of the same dreary shit every year - 16 out of the 32 teams will come from 4 countries. Every single year. I'm amazed people even care about it anymore, should have just let them have their super league and watch it fail.

Hell of a result for Italy though, they've a lot to thank Juve for.

They chatted about that on last week's Football Weekly, highlighting that certain teams would be guaranteed wild card spots (based on history, such as Man United). Good to see the report say that isn't the case as it would have made the 'competition' even more farcical.

It also makes the co-efficient completely meaningless, unless it's now being used to decide Europa League places only.

Bayern are completely destroying Werder Bremen. 6-0 up and Neuer is playing catch with the ball boys to keep himself warm.

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

It also makes the co-efficient completely meaningless, unless it's now being used to decide Europa League places only.

Well that's not true. The top four leagues aren't fixed. It might warp them a smidge, particularly as there's coefficient points on offer for qualifying for the group stage in the first place, but if French teams have a few good seasons and Italian ones don't, France becomes a top four league.

Much as is currently the case.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I assumed that the four top leagues were permanent and will stay that way. I do however think that if a time comes in the future where one of the current top four leagues is at risk of losing it's guaranteed four CL spots they will just add another four guaranteed spots for that league.

Big game for the local team today!

The mighty FC Schaffhausen is playing FC Zurich in the second Swiss league today. A record attendance for the season / full house is expected, so something like 5000 people should be there. The reaction: Total panic. First they told everyone to get their tickets in advance. Then they increased the price, citing increased security costs. (It's still fairly cheap, so...) Then they forget to change the prices on their website, where you can buy the tickets. If you go through one of the three ticket vendors that they have, the tickets are cheaper than usual. :blink:

Then they announce that they will only sell "light beer" in the guest sector (but regular beer everywhere else), as they are afraid of angry drunk FCZ supporters. According to an article in the local paper, this shouldn't be a problem as long as the guests don't realise. Which is why they put it prominently in the local paper. :facepalm:

Not that there'll be a lot to drink. The last time they had something like 2000 people in the stadium, you had to queue for 45 minutes to get a pint. 

This will be fun - I for one am looking forward to it.

And an important update from FCSchaffhausen - You can't buy any pre-order tickets anymore, as the sale closed yesterday. You have to buy them at the gate, but you have to hurry up as there are next to none left. 

This is getting better and better... I wonder what the stadium will look like. I might even start a twitter "live-stream" :-)

And I'm off to the stadium. #FCSchaffhausen @Nils_Tanner on Twitter for all the relevant and probably the longer the more alcoholfilled updates. 

Will there be trouble? 

Will we get a beer?

Will anything happen apart from a lot of shouting and tears?

Only one way to find out!

On 26/08/2016 at 20:59, Fry Crayola said:

It's going to concentrate wealth even more in the four major leagues, leading to their continued growth over the others.

A superleague is inevitable, really, and this sort of thing is only going to hurry that process along.

God, I hate this so much. UEFA should be trying to expand the competition across Europe - in the long term if money into Eastern Europe - or heck, even Scotland and the Dutch - could push their historic clubs back towards being more competitive it'd make a better and even more lucrative competition for everyone.

But they are doing the absolute worst thing. Let them setup a super league, someone has to finish last, see how they like it. Plus the prospect of another Bayern - Barca semi final is already tedious beyond belief. I'm sure the prospect of another 10 of them will make it even more appealing. 

Does nobody care about the games that happened yesterday or the games today? Chelsea, Man Utd and City look, early on, the three who'll be there at the end. Spurs and Liverpool looked OK yesterday lunchtime but Spurs going forward were toothless and Liverpool's back four were all over the place. Leicester won but they can't retain their title. Arsenal will probably scrape 4th. West Ham? Nope. 

Championship. Blackburn are bottom.

Good to see Tranmere at the top of the National League.

This holding in the box rule isn't working. There's been loads of examples already. Some refs seem to be giving penalties, others aren't. 

It's tricky to book an active footballer who is verbose and entertaining, but Goals on Sunday today..Simon Minolet is about as charismatic as a dairylee triangle, and the even less interesting Jon Jo Shelvey..who I cannot shake the feeling of him being a bit of a prat.

9 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Does nobody care about the games that happened yesterday or the games today? 

No, the boredom of seeing Man Utd/City and Chelsea back to winning every week (and in some cases extremely luckily) has killed my enthusiasm already.

Will the West Ham player also get a retrospective booking for diving? It was a pretty vicious elbow by Aguero but it didn't seem to make much contact, and it didn't make contact with the guy's forehead, but that is what he clutches when he goes down...